How do I find out about awards issued after discharge.

This is a discussion on How do I find out about awards issued after discharge. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any one out there have any ideas? While talking to old buddy he told me he heard that our squadron received a Presidential Unit and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By IsaiahM33

Thread: How do I find out about awards issued after discharge.

How do I find out about awards issued after discharge.

Any one out there have any ideas? While talking to old buddy he told me he heard that our squadron received a Presidential Unit and Meritorious Unit citation. I have my Ribbons mounted and if true I'd like to add them. Asked at a recruiter and they had no idea.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    Any one out there have any ideas? While talking to old buddy he told me he heard that our squadron received a Presidential Unit and Meritorious Unit citation. I have my Ribbons mounted and if true I'd like to add them. Asked at a recruiter and they had no idea.
    Just request an updated DD Form 214, Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

It will have any updated information on it.
    msgt/ret likes this.

If it was issued to the unit AFTER your discharge, a DD214 won't help you. I was in the same boat after Afghanistan in 2002. Your best bet is to find a buddy that has the actual UNIT AWARD ORDERS with the From and To dates. As long as you have proof that you were in that unit during that time (deployment orders), that's all you need.
    Madcap_Magician likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Not sure about AirForce but in the Army you have to be in the unit when the award is issued to wear it after you leave the unit or leave service.

And recruiters put civilians in the military. They aren't admin superstars that know all.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

But they were awarded for the time we served. And I was wondering about the updated dd214. Also went to the range before I got out and went from marksman to sharpshooter. That was never on my old dd214. I'll send off for a new one and find out. Thanks. After I got out they said anyone that served 75 and before was entitled to wear Viet Nam service ribbon even if you never served in country

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    And recruiters put civilians in the military. They aren't admin superstars that know all.
    Didn't hurt to ask.

Recruiters have other duties too- they are the face of the branch to the public, I knew of recruiters asked to help facilitate military funeral details. -Just saying.

It is easiest if you have your deployment orders or at least your orders to the unit that received the awards. The specific citation for the unit award when combined with your orders can get your DD-214 corrected.

I looked at it when they authorized an additional award when I was on terminal leave. I never pursued it further (2nd NSDM).

VIP Member
    But they were awarded for the time we served. And I was wondering about the updated dd214. Also went to the range before I got out and went from marksman to sharpshooter. That was never on my old dd214. I'll send off for a new one and find out. Thanks. After I got out they said anyone that served 75 and before was entitled to wear Viet Nam service ribbon even if you never served in country
    The Vietnam Service medal did require at least 6 months in-country to be awarded, I think you may be thinking of the National Defense Service Medal since it was not awarded from August 14, 1974 until August 2, 1990.

Vietnam Campaign Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Defense Service Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Know about the National Defense. We got that out of boot camp and I'm pretty sure about the Viet Nam service ribbon, but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Calls for some research. The campaign ribbon is different. It's green and white. I'm talking about the yellowK, red and green one

Looks like I was wrong(one of few times). Can't find anything to support my position

I'll look for it this week when I go back to base Monday but there is a public database showing most DoD Unit Awards. If your DD214 is wrong you have to petition to have it amended (which I believe varies by service) and prove you were in the unit at that time.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Links