Wife and the TSA...We shall see.

This is a discussion on Wife and the TSA...We shall see. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife is flying with her M&P Shield Sunday. Neither of us have ever flown with our firearms before. We both read over all the ...

Like Tree35Likes
  • 4 Post By gowie2
  • 2 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 2 Post By welder516
  • 11 Post By gowie2
  • 3 Post By Stoveman
  • 9 Post By RightyLefty
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By gowie2

Thread: Wife and the TSA...We shall see.

Angry Wife and the TSA...We shall see.

My wife is flying with her M&P Shield Sunday. Neither of us have ever flown with our firearms before. We both read over all the posts on this forum dealing with the rules put out by the TSA. Very helpful info. Many thanks to all for the advice on here.

None the less, she is quite nervous. We printed the rules, secured and unloaded, and locked everything up inside a checked bag. She is flying solo across the country to help her sick father, and is driving his car back across the country with her sister. Needless to say, she will be armed for her 3000 mile drive back. Also printed out reciprocity agreements between the states that are involved in case local LEO have any questions...if needed. However she will have to lockup her gun during the trip through Illinois. GRRRR.

Thanks for all the advice and tips on this forum. Best info about these issues on the web!
    CWOUSCG, Eagleks, 84160 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Most likely it will be very boring and a non-issue. I was a little nervous the first time and quickly realized that these people deal with it all the time and it is not a big deal to them.
    84160 and NH_Esau like this.

VIP Member
    Make sure you check the airline website too .............they may have other conditions .
    gasmitty and darbo like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

That was easy. My wife just passed through security with no problems at all.

On a side note, the airline agent (a female) struck up a conversation with my wife about her concealed carry license and gun she was carrying because she had just acquired both of hers! I would have liked to see the looks on the passengers faces in line behind my wife. The antis must have been having a fit!

What a great country!

VIP Member
    It really is a non issue.

Check the law, I believe if your wife has a carry permit from your state that she can have it on her while in the vehicle in Illinois. I would plan the trip so that I didn't have to make any stops, but at least it would prevent the old lock em up shuffle....
    DJC7, Aceoky and 84160 like this.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Just so you and your wife are aware, since she has a carry permit, she doesn't have to keep her Shield locked up while driving through Illinois. She can have it with her loaded in the vehicle. Only if she leaves the vehicle does she have to lock it up in the car. My advice to her; stop for gas and food before she hits the border and drive all the way through!
    redmc, Aceoky, EdJean and 6 others like this.

Agreed, that most likely it'll be a boring non-issue. Unless you get pulled over for something, though.

Sounds like you're doing everything you need to.

For the flight, simply notify the ticketing/gate agent that you've got a sidearm to declare and have checked in your baggage. They'll take it from there.

For the return drive through various states, review the state requirements for "peaceable journey" and status of the gun (ie, must be locked in trunk, separate locked case for ammo, may be loaded on you or in the glovebox, whatever). Also know for certain in which states you're required to notify. Might be worth notifying anyway, given the "traveler" status. Know the statutes.

Should work fine.

Through Illinois, though, I'd be particularly cautious given the simple fact they're in the first months of changing over their Draconian system to something a bit more rational and less heavy-handed. Still, I wouldn't want to bet my freedom on the likelihood of getting an LEO who knew how to handle things decently and softly if you're obviously someone just journeying through who's no threat to anyone. Be particularly "clean nosed" while heading through that state, given the changes.

Enjoy the trip.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the Illinois advice. I will pass it on.

Distinguished Member
    Much more secure and better flying with weapons now than it was before TSA. Standardized procedures now, no more "aghast" ticket agents afraid they were going to die because of a gun present.

I used to hate the Nanny State Mommy types that were ticket agents who noticeably gasped when you said you would like to check a weapon when you got a ticket.
    chandlerusm and 84160 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Now the ticket agents want to engage in a conversation about brands and calibers of handguns!
    CWOUSCG likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Much more secure and better flying with weapons now than it was before TSA. Standardized procedures now, no more "aghast" ticket agents afraid they were going to die because of a gun present.

I used to hate the Nanny State Mommy types that were ticket agents who noticeably gasped when you said you would like to check a weapon when you got a ticket.
    Chorizo,
    I fly with guns all the time probably 1-2 per month. There isn't really much standardization.

The only thing that is standard.

Is handgun locked hard case in a locked suitcase.

I've been told I could be arrested for touching offering to cart my bag over to the TSA folks at Dulles, when the agent was very small and my bag was very heavy.
    I've been told after I checked in to just walk it over to TSA, also at Dulles for the same airline.
    I''ve watched them at some airports dissemble my entire bag. When they had the big xray machine.
    Some airports say magazines can be loaded, some say absolutely not.
    I've had agents tell me they have to handle the gun and verify its empty, I've had them say they trust me telling me its unloaded.

Usually I just smile and say "yes sir" or "yes Mam"

The funny one was when I was going to New mexico, Agent at Dulles insisted she had to verify them unloaded, IIRC I had something like 7 long guns, and 3 pistols.
    I've seen
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Rob99,

That was what I was afraid of. After reading various posts about varying procedures, it makes one wonder how much training is going on.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Chorizo,
    I fly with guns all the time probably 1-2 per month. There isn't really much standardization.

The only thing that is standard.

Is handgun locked hard case in a locked suitcase.

I've been told I could be arrested for touching offering to cart my bag over to the TSA folks at Dulles, when the agent was very small and my bag was very heavy.
    I've been told after I checked in to just walk it over to TSA, also at Dulles for the same airline.
    I''ve watched them at some airports dissemble my entire bag. When they had the big xray machine.
    Some airports say magazines can be loaded, some say absolutely not.
    I've had agents tell me they have to handle the gun and verify its empty, I've had them say they trust me telling me its unloaded.

Usually I just smile and say "yes sir" or "yes Mam"

The funny one was when I was going to New mexico, Agent at Dulles insisted she had to verify them unloaded, IIRC I had something like 7 long guns, and 3 pistols.
    I've seen
    Minor crap at best. I doubt you pour your coffee the same way each morning either.

If you flew with weapons before 9/11 and TSA, you would understand what I mean.

It is much more standardized now and much better than it was allowing EACH airline to set standards and rules.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    I believe if your wife has a carry permit from your state that she can have it on her while in the vehicle in Illinois.
    I heard the same, from a lawyer who specializes in gun cases. You can download the 3-30-2014 episode of "Target Talk" here <http://ktrs.com/shows/sundays/target-talk>

Steve

Links