NM: APD can no longer carry personal guns

This is a discussion on NM: APD can no longer carry personal guns within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It shows the aggressiveness... No more gun fetish in Albuquerque! DO says so. Story: APD no longer allowed to carry personal weapons | Albuquerque News ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NM: APD can no longer carry personal guns

It shows the aggressiveness...
    No more gun fetish in Albuquerque!

DO says so.

Story: APD no longer allowed to carry personal weapons | Albuquerque News & Weather | Abq, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, NM | krqe.com
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Well, to be realistic, most agencies do not allow you to use your personal weapon for duty. There are actually many logical reasons for this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. A quick internet search reveals a very troubled recent history for this department.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, to be realistic, most agencies do not allow you to use your personal weapon for duty. There are actually many logical reasons for this.

One big reason being the lawsuits and even criminal cases as referenced here. They found out a cop is carrying a larger, more expensive, or more powerful gun than his cohorts and tell the jury he's "aggressive" and couldn't wait to kill someone. Not unlike cases where a home invader was shot and it turned out the homeowner has dozens of guns and some prosecutor says he had an "arsenal" and was just waiting for an opportunity like this.

Stupid? Yes. But real. Under pressure lots and LOTS of departments are pushing these requirements. A good friend of mine is an LEO and they are required to openly carry only their duty weapon; they can have a BUG that is A) Concealed and B) Nothing larger than .40 S&W (which is what the department issues). He's always heard the motivator there is to prevent anyone from claiming a rogue officer was using a more powerful gun than his cohorts because he was a cowboy executioner, rather than just acting in self defense.

It's what happens when our media makes people afraid of guns and can't see the common sense of the situation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Probably has little to do with one upsmanship, fetishes, aggressiveness, or suppressors.

Much more to do with standardization of ammo, similar manual of arms, and the like. .

But the DOJ has different ideas.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I agree with Glockman completely! Especially with the current ammo availability situation it makes sense especially from a logistics standpoint. The agency I retired from (as well as most of the surrounding agencies) required that you carry the department issued handgun and ammo. OTOH, for off-duty we could carry any personally owned handgun as long as you qualified on the SAME course as your duty handgun.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Probably has little to do with one upsmanship, fetishes, aggressiveness, or suppressors.

Much more to do with standardization of ammo, similar manual of arms, and the like. .

But the DOJ has different ideas.
    A fair point for sure. If you need to toss a buddy a gun or your buddy needs to grab your gun after you've gone down; it sure is nice if it's the same gun he uses. Same magazines, same ammo, you name it. While you might think tossing mags in the heat of battle to each other is something out of a war movie; the scary thing is that's been a reality for some LEO's.

Standardization of ammo I would think depends on the department. I know my local PD used to allow you to bring your own gun but they only supplied .40 (their issued gun). So if you wanted 9mm or 10mm or .45acp or .357 or whatever; you had to buy it; so that made it fairly moot. My friends who are LEO's are issued very very little ammo. Just what they carry and what they need for their quarterly qualifying. They buy their own ammo for shooting beyond the once a quarter. (Unless they USE the weapon in duty; in which case of course they are given more ammo). In fact; while they are certainly allowed to buy ammo and shoot all they'd like, they have to account for every round of department issued ammo. If it isn't used "in duty" or when qualifying, then they can get into hot water. (When I go shooting with them they always carefully unload mags and separate their issued ammo and reload with whatever they bought). That said; again, standardized ammo does mean it can be used in another officers gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm very glad my department allows personally owned weapons for duty carry. As long as a gun falls on the list of approved manufacturers and in approved calibers we can qualify with it and carry it.

I'm glad because my issued Sig holds 8 rounds in a magazine. In my opinion that's crazy. There isn't a self respecting bad guy out there with less than 13 rounds in their gun. I love the p220, but for a duty gun I would really like more capacity. I often carry my FN for that reason.

Also, not to start a caliber war, but many departments moved away from the 9mm to go with a .40 or .45 due to performance through vehicle glass. I love the 9mm but I would not want to be forced to carry that if I had a preference for something else. Plus, some folks simply shoot one gun better than another. It sucks for the APD and just makes me more appreciative of our common sense policy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I'm very glad my department allows personally owned weapons for duty carry. As long as a gun falls on the list of approved manufacturers and in approved calibers we can qualify with it and carry it.

I'm glad because my issued Sig holds 8 rounds in a magazine. In my opinion that's crazy. There isn't a self respecting bad guy out there with less than 13 rounds in their gun. I love the p220, but for a duty gun I would really like more capacity. I often carry my FN for that reason.

Also, not to start a caliber war, but many departments moved away from the 9mm to go with a .40 or .45 due to performance through vehicle glass. I love the 9mm but I would not want to be forced to carry that if I had a preference for something else. Plus, some folks simply shoot one gun better than another. It sucks for the APD and just makes me more appreciative of our common sense policy.
    Yeah? Well, you're probably one of those aggressive ones, looking to get bodies on your gun...

JK of course.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

^ Holy cow. I really need to take a long look in the mirror. I might be out of control and not even know it!! Who actually needs more than two shotgun blasts off the back porch to fight crime anyway??

Usually the reason for a department banning the carrying of personal guns, or unauthorized guns has something to do with shady shootings. Long before I came in the job some cops carried a throw away second gun. If they made a mistake, or shot an unarmed person they'd put the throw away on the victim and claim he had a gun. Or of they wanted to shoot at someone or even shoot someone they could use the throw away. If if they are limited to department authorized guns a supervisor could spot a throw away.

The APD is in trouble, and I think rightfully so. When your towns residents taking to the street to chant "APD: Dressed To Kill." US police shooting protest: Dressed to kill? - World - NZ Herald News you got problems.

I can understand wanting to carry a duty weapon that you trust and can shoot well, not everybody's hand is the same. Would you also have to supply the holster to match your duty belt?
    I can also understand the benefits of standardization from the Department's viewpoint. Also, logistically, the Department would have solid numbers to budget for in the way of handguns and accessories. In other words, they won't be spending funds on equipment that is never used. The downside is that after a few years, the rookie will be issued something that may be functional but, looks as if it has been dragged around the block a few times. I mean, we've all looked at some pretty poor looking Police trade-ins.
    IMO, there's Pro's and Con's to each policy and of course, ya can't please everyone. Would Department-issued sidearms have prevented or changed the outcomes of the questionable Police shootings? If the answers "No", then it is probably a "feel-good" change.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

I wonder how this affects any backup guns?

I see no where in the memo that says officers CANNOT carry personal weapons that have been approved, just like before... but that they are required to carry the issued weapons.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...66330100,d.cGU

Stormy rider hit the nail. They have been under investigation for a while I know of four shootings that had the locals upset. There have also been some very recent excessive force cases and the last I know if was the illegal camper I think I would have to look it up again. The standard gun was a requirement of the DOJ as a result of the excessive force investigation reort released in April or May of this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links