If this is the wrong place...

This is a discussion on If this is the wrong place... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came to this site through Google, searching for somewhere to gain advice on a venture I am beginning. First, I was an army Sgt ...

Thread: If this is the wrong place...

I came to this site through Google, searching for somewhere to gain advice on a venture I am beginning. First, I was an army Sgt (I will rarely discuss my service for personal reasons, please honor that), I am now homeless. The past few years the Denver police have become a little overbearing because of a segment of the homeless population.

I have in my time here gained the respect of the various "factions" without joining any, and find myself and my wife responsible for the random kids who claim to be "independent". The police are overwhelmed (hence, overbearing), the factions can't keep everyone in line and we've been asked to help. I could use the advice of law enforcement on an even standing, taken seriously. Essentially, I've been asked to become a kind of city guard to get the idiots in line.

In short, idiots are dealt with, police report lower crime involving homeless and businesses see less problems for them, city has no reason to target the homeless, everyone wins. DPD can focus on real crimes, businesses don't have to worry about theft trash or vandals, the homeless that aren't bum idiots can do their things, and the city saves money on unconstitutional laws(there are a few) and arrest and releases. I understand this may be the wrong board for this, but its the best I've found so far.

If I'm to do this right, I need advice, and if I should find another board for this, help me find it, if you guys are willing to help, please do. I'm sorry, I hate writing and I'm not very good at it, but as a homeless vet, I'm wanting the system to work for me, the police, the businesses, my peers out here... Everyone. At least in compromise. Help or point me to a board that will. That's all I ask, thank you for your patience.

Also, I know there must be at least a few Denver officers here. This is a serious request, if the idiots (travelers and jerks that make the ones you say hi to look bad) were either enlightened or told to leave, how much easier would your job be? How much would crime go down on and around the mall? You know the troublemakers as well as me. THAT is why I'm asking for this help.

I honestly don't understand what you're asking here.

You've been asked to become a "city guard?"

So you're like Batman?

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Favorite Planet:
    URANUS

Nothing that exotic. Essentially, I use the comparison VERY loosely, similar to guardian angels. At one time the city's homeless had rules they abided by, some still do, some don't. I'm supposed to get the kids that make things hard on everyone to stick to the old rules again, and NOT get myself in legal trouble. I'm trying to get a better idea what I can do without breaking laws and without forcing everyone into a false conformity.

If the guardian angels comparison is deterring, I am not saying that I mean to be like them. When I saw them they were bigoted bullies, may have been a case of some making the whole look bad, but I know what I saw. I mea, in military terms, a platoon-sized unit with limited training attempting to create a sense of order in a naturally disordered subculture without violating their beliefs or interfering with their freedoms... Please do not make a comparison to certain wars based on that... No one is shooting at anyone or blowing anything up. I don't need to be around that anymore.

Welcome to DC Argent. Aside from welcoming you to this outfit I don't think I can offer much.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!! Sent via Hemp string and C Rat cans
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    It sounds like a decent enough idea. Though I will admit that I am at a loss as to how you can reign in illegal activity without involving the police department and still remain on the good side of the law yourself. Other than a stern "don't do that" you don't bring a lot to the table. The way I'd envision dealing with the problems would all end up with you doing something illegal. Making yourself a criminal to try and stop criminals just doesn't work for me.

As an aside, welcome home. Lots of vets here, some talk about their experiences, some don't. Either way we respect what you've done and thank you for your service.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links