Does your weapon function?

This is a discussion on Does your weapon function? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another thread made me think maybe I am all wrong. Personal view of guns and betting my life. If I am cutting wood I sharpen ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Does your weapon function?

Distinguished Member

Another thread made me think maybe I am all wrong. Personal view of guns and betting my life. If I am cutting wood I sharpen my chain on my saw properly maintain the saw and function test it at home before driving to the woods to find out the saw doesn't run.

When I clean my weapon and put it in the safe it has a tag saying not function tested. For my carry gun it does not leave home without me firing that gun to insure it works.

You professionals out on the street today do you pick up a weapon from the armorer and put it in your holster and go out on patrol? Or do you function test fire the weapon before betting your life that it will work?

Could be my way went by the wayside with cup and saucer and modified weaver stance.

What say the collective of professionals?

Thanks for your service and any input you care to offer.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and AmmoFan01 like this.

No, my gun is always cleaned. I see your reasoning but I buy quality guns, ammo and trust they'll do their job so long as I properly maintain and practice with them.

FWIW your method wouldn't work with parachutes.

What the hey? Bombers on their missions into Europe didn't test fire until they were over the Channel. Most times, you do what you can and hope for the best.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

After cleaning/maintenance, I always perform a dry-fire function check, like I have for 3 decades on multiple platforms (ahem, "makes and models").

Distinguished Member
    Great points I started with I may be wrong. I jumped my own packs but my reserve was always packed by a licensed rigger. But your point is well taken and I appreciate the response.

So each of you carries the gun CCW and have not test fired it since cleaning and reassembly?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I haven't even cleaned my carry gun since the last shooting practice. And may not clean it after the second or third time. But I know it will work.
    But to be honest, I'm just not that concerned about it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I haven't even cleaned my carry gun since the last shooting practice. And may not clean it after the second or third time. But I know it will work.
    My carry guns are still dirty from my last session too. When you go to the range once and sometimes twice per week and you spread a lot of rounds around to a lot of guns, it just isn't practical to clean them all every time (especially if you only put 100 rounds through it). I used to be more diligent about cleaning all of my guns right after I got home, but as my frequency of range trips has increased and I've gone two and three trips before cleaning and they've all functioned fine, I've gotten a bit lazy about it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I initially cleaned my Glocks after every range trip before I then carried them. That always nagged at me (lack of a function check except for a dry fire) as a neophyte, but I got over it. Now I probably need to clean mine a bit more frequently than I do, fired or unfired.

I'm a wee bit like glockman10mm or Bugdude in that respect.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Since my life has changed since retirement I have plenty of time to clean my weapons after every trip I enjoy cleaning them almost as much as shooting them. When I carried for a living we used revolvers an kept them cleaned they always worked never had a malfunction with my Trooper or my 1911 as an M.P. I will say as a MP never had to shoot at anyone so all experience was at the range. My cc weapons I have faith in shoot them regularly.

I was in a class and had about 1000 rounds thru my pistol, and it was still working fine. I finished the class with out cleaning it at all. Brought it back to the house cleaned it good, put it in the holster. If I shoot a couple hundred rounds at the range I do not bother cleaning it. I see no reason to clean it after every outing....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I shoot my carry gun pretty regularly, the minimum I shoot it is once a month, and it's cleaned and lubed every time I shoot it. All that I'm combination with running good ammo I believe will be fine.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Dirtybird!

I always clean my guns, especially my handguns, because I shoot a lot of dirty lead bullets and just don't care to leave my guns that way. Not that it "needs" to be clean, just that I "want" it to be clean. Would using it if not clean make me hesitate? Not a bit.
    gatorbait51 and dangerranger like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I trust all my carry guns.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Ok I guess im anal about it on our EDCs. Both the wife and my edc pistols get at minimum relubed every Fri nite. Its seldom they havent been fired for a week but even if they havent they still get a quick wipe down and relube.

If theyve been fired that week as much as normal they get cleaned and lubed and two rounds fired each.

I KNOW, there is nothing truer than anytime anyplace. If its humanly possible for me to prevent it if the devil comes knockin he wont be greeted by a click or a jam.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Almost like Schrodinger's Cat. You don't know it's functioning until you use it.

And how do you know your last (most recent) test shot isn't the last shot your CCW was able to fire before malfunctioning?

You don't.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links