Police Officer shoots 93 year old

This is a discussion on Police Officer shoots 93 year old within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Report: Woman, 93, fired 2 shots before being killed At least some of the "Protesters" who came to protest her "murder" were from the New ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Police Officer shoots 93 year old

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Police Officer shoots 93 year old

Report: Woman, 93, fired 2 shots before being killed

At least some of the "Protesters" who came to protest her "murder" were from the New Black Panther party. The Mayor and the city council fired the Officer even before the Texas Rangers have concluded their investigation.

I hope the rest of the officers in the dept. all quit and then the gutless Mayor and City Council can strap on vests and answer the next person with a gun call........

HEARNE, Texas — The nephew of a 93-year-old Central Texas woman shot and killed by a police officer says his aunt fired two shots before the officer shot her.

Roy Jones told KBTX-TV of Bryan and College Station for a story aired Friday that he had taken his aunt Pearlie Golden to renew her driver's license Tuesday, but she was denied after failing her test.

As Jones took his aunt back to her Hearne home, he could tell she was upset by the denial, he said.

Back at her house, Jones said he was sitting with his aunt on her front porch when Golden demanded her keys back. He refused, so Golden went into the house and got her .38-caliber handgun. Jones dashed into the house and called police, he told the station.

Hearne police have said in a statement that Golden "brandished a gun" when officer Stephen Stem arrived Tuesday night. A preliminary autopsy shows Golden was shot twice in the body and grazed by a third bullet, Robertson County District Attorney Coty Siegert has said.

Hearne police have declined to comment beyond the statement issued this week. Stem has been placed on administrative leave, and The Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting.

Siegert told the station that because the case is still under investigation, he could neither confirm nor deny that Golden fired her gun.

About 110 miles northwest of Houston, Hearne is home to about 4,500 people and is surrounded by cotton farms and railways. Friends say Golden still shopped at the grocery store and greeted friends with a jubilant "Hey, baby!"

Dozens of protesters, including some who came in from Houston, marched to police headquarters on Thursday and were met there by Mayor Ruben Gomez, who said he will recommend that Stem be fired during Saturday's City Council meeting.

"It's a loss of confidence in the community. We can't have an officer the citizens have lost confidence in," Gomez said.

However, Stem's attorney, Robert McCabe, told the station that he believes his client's actions were justified under the circumstances and called the mayor's comments inappropriate and unprofessional.

"He probably knows less facts about what occurred than I do," McCabe said.
    deadsexy and Recon1342 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

You shoot at the police expect to get shot... regardless of age, race, gender, religious affiliation, sexual preference, height, eye color, or anything else you can think of.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Report: Woman, 93, fired 2 shots before being killed

At least some of the "Protesters" who came to protest her "murder" were from the New Black Panther party. The Mayor and the city council fired the Officer even before the Texas Rangers have concluded their investigation.

I hope the rest of the officers in the dept. all quit and then the gutless Mayor and City Council can strap on vests and answer the next person with a gun call........
    Well Chaplain, this is a rare time when I will disagree with you. This happened up the road from me. I know nothing more than anyone else, but I have my own opinion about that particular police department, that particular officer, and the political powers that be in that city and county. Not much works well there, starting with a pathetic local economy.

One of my old MA buds was a Peace Officer for the state in that region, retired and worked for the sheriff in that county, and then took up an elected position at a different town in the same county. I don't know what he would have done had he been there, and don't expect to have a chance to ask him--at least not in time adequate to make a difference to this discussion. I do very much doubt anyone would have been shot had he been the responding officer.
    Sometimes it is about mind set and attitude.

I have previously here posted a detailed analysis of the circumstances of officer gunshot deaths over more than a decade. I did it after the wooden replica incident in CA. What I posted teaches a lot, which I'm afraid hasn't sunk in to the suits and the trainers.

The old saying, "gotta know when to hold 'em," sometimes applies, and did in this sad episode we are discussing.

The truly remarkable thing is that with all that goes on in that town and county, the woman's nephew even thought he'd get help from the police. Well he got help alright :-
    Jtrams likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

This is one that may go in LEO favor or at least should. At first shooting a 93 year old? Then you find out a family member called LE because she had a Weapon, then you find out she fired a couple shoots.
    Tried of LE gunning people down but in this case LE has a right to defend themselves and others. Weapon presented, shots fired office gets a lot of room IMO.
    He may fry in the end she was protected class .
    As far as from what the story says Officer did nothing wrong. Fact he was cleared in a shooting in the past is meaningless.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    The BOTTOM line is Never Point a Weapon at LEO,you will end up Dead Period.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Hoppy:

I'm not sure that I agree or disagree with you. Obviously, according to you, the town and PD has a bad rep. At the same time, we don't know the exact details yet from the investigation by the Rangers, but, do we expect any police officer to stand there and "Take one (or two) for the Gipper?" Was he out in the open, exposed with no cover?? We don't know. Do we expect him to turn his back and run to find cover while she continues to shoot at him? Was he behind the Patrol Car with adequate cover? We don't know.

What we do know is this elderly gal was acting out, enough that her own Nephew called 911, and then she takes two shots at the responding officer. Regardless of what the investigation eventually determines, I still think its cowardly of the Mayor and town council to fire him before the investigation is even finished.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

The Mayor should be recalled.
    64zebra likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    This is one that may go in LEO favor or at least should. At first shooting a 93 year old? Then you find out a family member called LE because she had a Weapon, then you find out she fired a couple shoots.
    Tried of LE gunning people down but in this case LE has a right to defend themselves and others. Weapon presented, shots fired office gets a lot of room IMO.
    He may fry in the end she was protected class .
    As far as from what the story says Officer did nothing wrong. Fact he was cleared in a shooting in the past is meaningless.
    The problem here has nothing to do with class or race; no matter how some try to make it out.

The officer involved is 28 years old. This is his SECOND fatal shooting on the job. Maybe he just had a run of bad luck.

We can dissect it all forever. I'm sure the State Police, DA, and lawyers on all sides will.

It's not saying if the shots were fired before they arrived,or after,but there were 2 officers on scene,only one discharged his weapon firing 4 rounds,and hitting with 2,It's possible a more experienced LEO may have handled it differently.will have to wait to see what the official report shows,
    Hopyard and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hoppy:

I'm not sure that I agree or disagree with you. Obviously, according to you, the town and PD has a bad rep. At the same time, we don't know the exact details yet from the investigation by the Rangers, but, do we expect any police officer to stand there and "Take one (or two) for the Gipper?" Was he out in the open, exposed with no cover?? We don't know. Do we expect him to turn his back and run to find cover while she continues to shoot at him? Was he behind the Patrol Car with adequate cover? We don't know.

What we do know is this elderly gal was acting out, enough that her own Nephew called 911, and then she takes two shots at the responding officer. Regardless of what the investigation eventually determines, I still think its cowardly of the Mayor and town council to fire him before the investigation is even finished.
    Maybe the various investigations will get to the bottom of what happened, but there is little if any evidence that she fired at the officer-- her nephew who does admit she fired her gun, is denying some aspects about direction and timing. I dunno I wasn't there.

Please look at my post #8.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What we do know is this elderly gal was acting out, enough that her own Nephew called 911, and then she takes two shots at the responding officer.
    If that's how it went down, then IMO it's not relevant that the "shooter" was a 93yr old granny or a healthy twenty-something male with "hood" togs and tats from his toenails to mullet. If deadly force was directed at innocents, that person forgoes any reasonable expectation for people to simply roll over and take it.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sometimes being in the right, and doing the right thing don't always intersect at the same junction.

I'm not passing any judgement. I wasn't there, didn't see what the officer saw or felt. It was his call, and he will have to live with his decision. And regardless of the technical aspects of right or wrong within the boundaries of the law, he will be the one who lives with it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"Sometimes being in the right, and doing the right thing don't always intersect at the same junction."

Good saying. It takes great wisdom to come to grips with this saying. Good judgment won't dependably occur until one gains the wisdom.
    Bisquit69 and Rock and Glock like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    The community wants a check out of this...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Well, It will be interesting to how the investigation turns out.

Tough call to make and I wasn't there. It's a shame the nephew couldn't or chose not to handle it himself.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links