I had a visit with a Marine today...

This is a discussion on I had a visit with a Marine today... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had heard that a Marine was heading home from Iraq. He arrived yesterday. He is from my home town, but I don't know him. ...

Thread: I had a visit with a Marine today...

Administrator

I had a visit with a Marine today...

I had heard that a Marine was heading home from Iraq. He arrived yesterday. He is from my home town, but I don't know him.

I thought should go and say hello, offer support and to express my thanks to him.
    I thought for a few minutes about this, and I almost talked myself out of it. I don't know this kid. I don't even know his family. I have heard the name before, but that’s about it.

I decided to go anyway, but I would wait until all the fanfare was over, and most of the people were gone. I didn't want to intrude on his time, but I felt compelled to go and hear his story. I am glad I did.

When I arrived at his location, he was in the accompaniment of a few other Marines. I learned that each one of these Marines did not know each other until today, but they were close friends. It was the warriors bond that I had almost forgotten about; until yesterday. These Marines reminded me of a lot of things I had almost forgotten, a lot of things I thought were lost with time.

I learned that the Marine I came to see name is William, and he is twenty years old. He volunteered to go to Iraq in place of a buddy whose wife was due to have their first child. William had talked the Marines into letting him take his buddies place. First, William volunteered to be a Marine, second he volunteered to go fight a war he would not have had to otherwise, so his friend could be here for the birth of his child. Some say there are no people like this left. Heres one, right in front of me. This guy's story could be a movie; it’s a classic war time story. It has all the elements, it illustrates perfectly what it is to be a Marine, Soldier, Sailor or Airman.

After I left, it bothered me that here is the great young man, who did all these great things. He is from my small home town and I have only heard a very small part of his story. I wish I could have talked to him myself, but I was too late. William was killed by small arms fire in Iraq a week prior to my visit with him.

My goal in sharing this story is this; I hope that everyone takes the time to appreciate what these guys are doing. Find out whose fighting the war from your home town, and support them. Find out what they need while they are there, and send out a package. It doesn’t cost that much and it means a lot to those guys. When they come home let them and their families know that their selflessness does not go unnoticed, no matter if they come home to a parade or a procession.

2. Remove Ads

RIP William, and Semper Fi.

While on holiday vacation, I ran into a soldier at a bar in Milwaukee. I asked if he's been, or if he's going. He told me he's leaving in March. I told him I'm a Marine, and we chatted a while. I told him to watch his ass and come home safe, and I gave him a cigarette.

Not much, but every bit helps these guys.

Assistant Administrator
    Glad you did decide to go. Most worthwhile, and sobering too.

My step son has considered joining up and not long ago a recruiting guy called round. With him was a young fresh marine who had graduated same time as step son - and there was a young man who had probably matured five years inside just one.

''Something'' happens to the majority I think, even before they see combat and the ''brotherhood'' is established IMO very early on.

I do not see many from round here but am in that camp we mentioned on another thread recently - where given the chance in a food place, I'd enjoy paying for their meal - just ''because''.

I think of them all daily - in different circumstances one of them could so easily be my own son. I salute them all
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As a member of the Patriot Guard and American Legion Riders we've
    done several "Welcome Home" rides lately, it always amazes me how young these men look. Maybe that's just cause I'm old!

One of the saddest experiences I had doing this was greeting a young Marine just back from Afghanistan. He had also done a tour of Iraq and had re-enlisted and volunteered for special forces duty. His parents were beaming with pride and rightfully so.

Two weeks later we did a funeral service for him. He was killed accidentally in a training exercise at Camp Pendleton. That was without a doubt the hardest mission I've done to date.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

RIP Cpl.

Ohio has seen far too many of our warriors return home for processions instead of parades. Lima Co. 3/25, a Marine Reserve Infantry unit based out of Columbus, OH, had 15 KIA's during their last tour to the "Sandbox", and will probably be shipped there again in the next few years. Two of the KIA's were graduates of my high school, another only lived one street over from my parents home. I know several of the Marines in the unit from when they were in Marine NROTC with me, but for various reasons they left NROTC and joined the Reserves, and two of them now have Purple Hearts.

It is hard to find a class at college that doesn't have at least one warrior in it, their haircuts, clothes and backpacks give them away. A lot of students and professor's don't agree with them or their mission, but I always make sure they know that isn't the only opinion in the class. God Bless em.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

MARINE

I know a young man who enlisted in the Marine Corps. I told him I was pleased he had did this and I was very proud of him.I also told him to to train hard and take all of his training seriously. After he enlisted our nation was attacked on the 11th day of September in 2001. He was soon deployed. I thought he might have to go to Afganistan,luckily he did not. I got to visit with him when he returned home on leave. Another deployment.This time he goes to the battle fields in Iraq. I stayed up late many nights, watching news broadcasts hoping to maybe here his unit mentioned. He, thank God ,made it home safely.He is going on with his life now. I hope I get to see this young man again soon and talk to him. This Marine is my son.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    God Bless all Marines wherever they may be.

My son currently serves in a CounterTerrorism unit with the USMC.
    Been to the sandbox, returned safely.

I reckon he takes after his former Recon Marine papa
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I also have a nephew that did Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom, he's still in the active reserves. I pray I never have to do a Patriot Guard mission for him.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

God Bless.
    Semper FI
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

God Bless to all, but a special blessing to the Marines - "First to go - last to leave." These young men and women will always have a special and revered place in the hearts of me and my family. In a week I'll be attending my son's graduation ceremony at Parris Island and I can tell you all with complete honesty that already there are tears of pride and not a bag has yet been packed or a ceremony attended. The sacrifices and total committment of these young people is difficult to put into words especially in a world, in our own country, that wants to turn and run and hide, thinking the bin Ladens of the world will simply go away. That conflict is something fought in some third world country between rival chieftans and rival factions fighting for a meaningless plot of land in some country most can't pronounce or find on a map. But these chieftans and rival factions attacked our country, killed our citizens, and continue to attack our very way of life in the name of God. Now it is our turn to track them down and slay them like the true mongrels they are. We didn't ask for this fight but fight must and fight we will with our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives - because freedom has its costs and liberty is for those willing to make the ultimate sacrifices. The question is not whether we have the courage - the question is .. do we possess the depth of faith necessary to do what needs to be done. Because you can rest assured, the enemy does! Semper Fidelis.

Sixto...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had heard that a Marine was heading home from Iraq. He arrived yesterday. He is from my home town, but I don't know him...

I thought should go and say hello, offer support and to express my thanks to him...

After I left, it bothered me that here is the great young man, who did all these great things. He is from my small home town and I have only heard a very small part of his story. I wish I could have talked to him myself, but I was too late. William was killed by small arms fire in Iraq a week prior to my visit with him.

My goal in sharing this story is this; I hope that everyone takes the time to appreciate what these guys are doing.
    I'm impressed with your efforts...
    Thanks for sharing...it's important!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Semper Fi, Devil Dogs.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links