7-9 rounds and still combative

This is a discussion on 7-9 rounds and still combative within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This guy had been shot 9 times and was still combative even after arriving at the hospital. Prayers to the family of the fallen officer. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 7-9 rounds and still combative

7-9 rounds and still combative

This guy had been shot 9 times and was still combative even after arriving at the hospital. Prayers to the family of the fallen officer. Here's the excerpt about the shots and still being able to return fire etc...

Investigation into Johnson City Police officer's death nears; many unanswered questions remain - News - Daily Review

Return fire

The SWAT officer waited for a clear back ground and proceeded to shoot Clark seven times. Clark remained conscious during the shooting, and remained combative - and even firing sporadic shots with Smith's weapon - although no one was harmed. This, according to Zikuski on Friday, is the reason why the rounds Smith's gun were spent during the incident.

Eventually, the SWAT Team officer was able to shoot James Clark in the torso from under his arm pit.

Even after this, Clark was able to fire more rounds, from the SWAT Team member's weapon that he had managed to get out of his hand, although this is part of a report that Zikuski notes he will rescind. The round, according to reports, did not hit anyone, and was found several hundred yards away.

Fortunately, the gun couldn't cycle, and it malfunctioned, leaving an empty casing in the chamber. At this point, Clark was still combative and resistant, even though he had nine rounds of ammunition in him. However, hospital security guards were able to restrain and handcuff Clark.

The time was 7:07 a.m., just four minutes following Officer Smith's arrival at the scene.

"It happened that quick," Zikuski affirmed on Friday, emphasizing that the investigation reports can't be positively confirmed as the entire ordeal occurred in such a brief amount of time. "We may never know what really happened," he added.

Unexplained actions

Once wheeled into the surgical unit at neighboring Wilson Hospital, Clark continued to be combative.

Investigations revealed that Clark's dying statement, when asked what he shot Officer Smith with, was, "I shot him (Smith) with his own (expletive deleted) gun."

Clark died shortly after the surgery in which Wilson Hospital staff attempted to save his life.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Prayers for the officers family. I wonder if the guy was on something to be that combative after taking that many rounds.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

There was a video posted a while back, I think I might have even been the OP. It was about a guy on top of a LEO attempting to beat him to death. A Good Samaritan with a .45 come along and put 6-7 in the bad guys chest and he didn't stop beating the cop til a final round was put between his eyes.
    Tactical Senior Junior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactically Stealth Tactics And Tactical Bad-Assery

Wrong sub-forum. Moved to Law Enforcement.
    Aceoky, BurgerBoy and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    There was a video posted a while back, I think I might have even been the OP. It was about a guy on top of a LEO attempting to beat him to death. A Good Samaritan with a .45 come along and put 6-7 in the bad guys chest and he didn't stop beating the cop til a final round was put between his eyes.
    I think I saw that video. I don't remember most of what was happening. Here's what I do remember.

BG was on top of LEO and was literally beating the officer to death. An armed citizen some 50 yards away heard then saw the ruckus and could hear the officer pleading for help. The citizen aimed carefully and fired more than once hitting the BG. The GG had issues walking but closed the distance as quickly as he could. I think he fired on BG several more times. BG showed no signs of stopping. GG stood sideways and fired one round striking BG above the ear into BGs cranium (blowing BGs brains out). BG fell dead. Officer got up and thanked GG citizen. GG citizen was thanked by officers department.

There might have been a bit more the chief of said department said but I'd rather someone else related it. I could be mixed up a bit.

Except for my 2 index fingers nothing works like it did when I was 30.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Again placement is the key and my first instructor, now deceased, never let up on that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Most people that quit fighting after being shot (particularly with handguns) do so because they want to, not because they have to.

7-9 rounds and still in-the-fight? Finally shot under the armpit? What caliber was SWAT hitting him with? And what type of vest effectively stops rifle rounds?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds plausible the shooter was under the influence of some type of drug.

Well, I might need some of that prescription in my bug-out kit.
    baren likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

"Zikuski stated, "Our officers are all trained and carry guns; there is no need for people to have Uzi's. "There is no reason for it," he added."
    So, the officer had an uzi taken from his holster? Hmm, no.

Which reminds me: So, what IS the price of tea in China anyway? Anyone know?
    Navydude likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Most people that quit fighting after being shot (particularly with handguns) do so because they want to, not because they have to.
    As I am sure it is for Peace Officers, there are many examples of people who were shot, but the shot did not take the fight out of them. I am not equating the BG in this incident to Heros, just showing examples where a very determined person (Good or Bad) can still be very dangerous!

Do not assume because you have hit a BG that they are down and out (which probably explains some part, but not all, of why LEO engagements often end up being Overkill Engagements).

Just my opinion.....................

??? Aside from EMT/First Responders....... ??? How many of you have ever seen someone that was actually shot by a rifle or hand gun?

Some excellent examples of humans who continue to move/attack/engage for a reason after being shot; many multiple times:
    List of Medal of Honor recipients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    So, the officer had an uzi taken from his holster? Hmm, no.

Which reminds me: So, what IS the price of tea in China anyway? Anyone know?
    I an not sure but it may be cheaper to buy an Uzi. I seem to have read that swat is carrying them now. Man oh man where in the world did that come from. Terrible that the police officer lost his life. For the life of me I can not understand some people. The BG did not even have a gun but stole the policeman's gun. No amount of gun laws on us would have stopped this unless you took the guns away from the LEOs. It is just a bad situation.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    What's with all the references to be rescinded? Seems like an awful lot.

It also seems like a poorly written article that does more to confuse than clarify anything.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Our prayers go out to the officer's family, RIP!
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links