Boston- 'City Hall to buy $1.5m system to track gunshots'

This is a discussion on Boston- 'City Hall to buy $1.5m system to track gunshots' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...rack_gunshots/ Law Enforcement, Homeland Security & Military Discussion tag beat out humorous tag, not by much though, this is pretty silly. Note to all Boston ...

VIP Member

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...rack_gunshots/

Law Enforcement, Homeland Security & Military Discussion tag beat out humorous tag, not by much though, this is pretty silly.

Note to all Boston miscreants: Buy plenty of firecrackers to confuse the microphones.

The sensor system could blanket a 5.6-square-mile swath of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods -- the source of 80 to 85 percent of calls citywide reporting shots fired -- and give officers a jump on arresting suspects, improve police response time to 911 calls, and possibly reduce firearm violence, proponents say.
    Explain to me how it would 'reduce firearm violence'.......The system doesn't anticipate gunshots, the gunshots have to happen FIRST....by then it's to late to stop the crime.

submitters note: Welcome to the nanny state.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Nanny state, indeed!

Yep, that will stop the bad guys.

Assistant Administrator
    This profligate waste of funds has to be almost in the category of ballistic finger printing. Feelgood stuff for anti gun voters and little else.

So - let's say it solves one crime (as mentioned, the shooting has happened! ) - that'll be a costly result - to the tax payer!

*sigh*
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Whose Idea...Kennedy or Kerry?

Such stupidity...somebody?...really thinks this is going to deter crime...yet alone, work?

Sheeeesh...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I don't know about doing anything to the crime rate, but it might be able to shorten response time to a shooting scene. Wouldn't this be the same system the military has been playing with?

Of course I have to admit, I'm not sure what success the military has had with it.....
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This technology is currently being used in Rochester, NY, and is not worth the money that is spent on it. It rarely picks up gunshots and has a hard time differentiating between shots and fireworks. It works sporadically at best.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubb64 View Post
    This technology is currently being used in Rochester, NY, and is not worth the money that is spent on it. It rarely picks up gunshots and has a hard time differentiating between shots and fireworks. It works sporadically at best.
    I'm a law abiding citizen & this would tempt even me, to screw with it by using fireworks to confuse the microphones.......So what do you think the response of the local miscreants would be?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Such stupidity...somebody?...really thinks this is going to deter crime...yet alone, work?

Sheeeesh...

ret
    +1

$1.5 million on this nonsense and we have people starving. Sad, sad, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'm a law abiding citizen & this would tempt even me, to screw with it by using fireworks to confuse the microphones.......So what do you think the response of the local miscreants would be?
    NYC saw a significant rise in the use of revolvers, in shootings, after the "ballistic fingerprinting" hit the news. My guess is you'll see what Europe has: more in-your-face stabbings and beatings, fewer threats/uses of firearms. All in all, not great for those physically incapable of dealing with the 15-25 y/o thugs.

Links