US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

This is a discussion on US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A little good news today: The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: US soldier freed from captivity in Afghanistan

A little good news today:

The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Obama administration officials said Saturday.
    Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was handed over to U.S. special forces by the Taliban Saturday evening, local time, in an area of eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistani border. Officials said the exchange was not violent and the 28-year-old Bergdahl was in good condition and able to walk.
    Welcome home, Sergeant.

Yahoo News
    OutdoorEnvy, niks, cn262 and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    That is such good news!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Fantastic! Welcome Home! Probably not much better feelings than that.

Best news I read ALL day!! Welcome home sarge!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Ex Member
    One American? Five Muslim Terrorists? Fair trade.
    Naufragia, Oreste and BurgerBoy like this.

I encourage everyone to do some extensive googling and reading concerning Bowe Bergdahl...There were MANY questions as to how he came into Taliban captivity.

The circumstances of Bergdahl’s capture weren’t clear.

On July 2, two U.S. officials told the AP the soldier had “just walked off” his base with three Afghans after his shift. He had no body armor or weapon and they said they had no explanation for why he left. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

On July 6, the Taliban claimed on their Web site that five days earlier “a drunken American soldier had come out of his garrison” and was captured by mujahadeen.

In the video, Pfc. Bergdahl said he was lagging behind a patrol when he was captured.

Details of such incidents are routinely held very tightly by the military as it works to retrieve a missing or captured soldier without giving away any information to captors.

Bottom line, he is now back in US custody and will have to deal with whatever the circumstances were...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Here is the most recent article I could find, and surprise surprise, it's a CBS article..

Is Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl a hero or a deserter? - CBS News
    Naufragia and Recon1342 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Here is the most recent article I could find, and surprise surprise, it's a CBS article..

Is Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl a hero or a deserter? - CBS News
    I'm embarrassed to say that I was completely unaware of the uncertainty regarding the circumstances of his capture. Thanks.

Still, come what may, at least we got him out.
    First Sgt and Recon1342 like this.

Congrats on his return...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad he's back, but I'm not sure how this will affect events in the future. If he was actually kidnapped, as opposed to being, say, captured in battle - isn't this a great motivation for jihadists to kidnap more people, and for criminals to do the same and sell them to jihadists?
    rolyat63, niks, Oreste and 3 others like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

We overpaid. He was only worth 2 1/2 detainees.
    atctimmy likes this.

Great he is free . But where is the rest of the story? They could have made this deal any time. But why all of the sudden?
    Someone need to change the direction of the evening news . Now Obama is a hero again.
    Sorry this could have been done a long time ago if he had cared one bit. This soldier like so many is just another pawn
    virg, WMac19, CWOUSCG and 1 others like this.

He's returned, that is what matters.
    suntzu, CWOUSCG, OldVet and 2 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    He's returned, that is what matters.

I am glad he is back to stand trial for Desertion and possible other charges. I remember when this happened and the fact he deserted and we LOST more service members on operations and raid trying to find this punk! He sure has pissed off a lot of service members though.

5 freaking terrorist for 1 deserter and we have a Marine in jail in Mexico because he was lost and not a single phone call to free him?
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 31st, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links