Bowe Bergdahl - Hero or ???

This is a discussion on Bowe Bergdahl - Hero or ??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero Amazingly enough, this quote is from CNN Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: Bowe Bergdahl - Hero or ???

Bowe Bergdahl - Hero or ???

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

Amazingly enough, this quote is from CNN

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero - CNN.com

The spin doctors are quickly coming out of the woodwork.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know what he is other than not real smart.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What is anyone saying he did that was heroic? All I ever heard was that he was taken prisoner, and that there were even questions about that.
    19Kvet, american23 and msgt/ret like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Who or what he is appears questionable at this point.

One way or another, he should not have been traded for terrorists.

I was kinda wonderin what it was that made him a hero too! I didn't think walking off your post counted..

Distinguished Member
    His father with the beard that would make Karl Marx blush says he hasn't attempted communication with his son because he's like a deep sea diver who can't "come up too fast". As if the Army tried to sweep the affair under the rug, his closest comrades signed a non-disclosure agreement, but some are speaking out anyway.
    "I don't think I could have continued to go on without being able to share with you and the people the true things that happened in this situation," Korder said Monday. "Because if you guys aren't made aware of it, it will just go on, and he'll be a hero, and nobody will be able to know the truth."
    His rear end is going to get court martialed (courted martial?) as it should be.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Maybe they wanted him back to be made an example of.

As it should be. He should be stood against a wall for desertion in a time of war.
    CLASS3NH, 19Kvet and msgt/ret like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

News reports are less than flattering.
    CLASS3NH and Cnon like this.

VIP Member
    If this is the new face of what a "Hero" is then all real "Hero's" all over the USA and World for that matter should revolt .

How dare anyone say he is a Hero ..............................All my comments are based on todays news and i hope i am wrong on all counts .

If he left his post he should go to a US prison . Every American soldier or citizen is now a target for more captures(s)
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Forget the word HERO,let's see what the investigation comes up with re the circumstances of his capture.
    The quote from an alleged member of his unit needs to be verified.
    If he deserted he is NOT a hero. But if he was just stupid and got captured that's different.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Hero. Not in my book. He left his post and put his fellow soldiers in danger. Most likely AWOL, maybe even a deserter. Now, by negotiating with terrorist we have put all Americans in danger. This could well be the biggest blunder we have made.

One AWOL soldier is worth five enemy leaders. At least now we have a path to close GITMo. Capture 12 US citizens and trade each of the for five GITMO prisoners. Poof, GITMO is closed.
    Last edited by Stevew; June 2nd, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't know what to believe yet. I suspect the guys he served with are going to be the best and most accurate source.

I know anything that comes from the Jay Carneys of the world can be immediately dismissed.
    Badey, CLASS3NH, Patti and 5 others like this.

Zero
    CLASS3NH and Pistology like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Here's the best read on Bergdahl out today.

Key line: "Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down."

The article's written by a guy who served in that unit, and looks like a trustworthy accounting. I've seen nothing thus far that would contradict this version of events.

My take on this is that we shouldn't leave any of our people in al Quaeda's hands. To this point, he was the only POW we had in that theater and this takes a bargaining chip away from the bad guys. It's worth it, in my estimation, to further clear out Gitmo and save the expense of housing and feeding them. And none of this changes because Bergdahl was a deserter. People crack under the stress of combat and do weird things. Like that guy who went out and shot up a house full of people.

This has happened in every major war. Soldiers crack, do loopy things. This guy figured he'd hike to India. But we put a uniform on him and dropped him in the middle of that mess, and so we're responsible for getting him home. Now he'll have to answer for his AWOL charges. At the very least he's going to get a dishonorable - which, as some people know, is very bad. No GI loans, no Tri-Care or VA benefits, no service-connected benefits, no nothing. It's like you never served at all.
    Old Sarge likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Hero is a word used too often these days. Even if he was captured from his post and was not a deserter, what did he do heroic? Looks like he just lived until he was given back. Being a hero takes actions above and beyond in my eyes.
    msgt/ret, redmc, Pinot and 10 others like this.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links