Veteran Disappears From Nursing Home, Turns Up In Normandy.

This is a discussion on Veteran Disappears From Nursing Home, Turns Up In Normandy. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LONDON -- An 89-year old World War II veteran who was reported missing from a nursing home in England has been found in Normandy after ...

Like Tree47Likes
  • 12 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 8 Post By wsquared
  • 2 Post By sideKahr
  • 7 Post By OldVet
  • 5 Post By ntkb
  • 2 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 6 Post By Recon1342
  • 5 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Veteran Disappears From Nursing Home, Turns Up In Normandy.

VIP Member

LONDON -- An 89-year old World War II veteran who was reported missing from a nursing home in England has been found in Normandy after travelling to attend D-Day commemorations, police said Friday.

Bernard Jordan was last seen at The Pines home in Hove, southern England, on Thursday morning. Staff called police when he did not return that evening.

Sussex Police said Friday that another veteran later called to say he and Jordan were at a hotel in Ouistreham, France. Officers also spoke to Jordan and determined he was fine.

The force said Jordan left the home wearing his service medals and joined a group of veterans heading to France by bus.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp tweeted: "Veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for D-Day remembrance. We've found him there!"

The home denied it had banned Jordan, a Royal Navy veteran and former mayor of Hove, from going to the commemorations.

"In fact, staff at the home tried to get Mr. Jordan onto an accredited tour with the Royal British Legion but, due to the last-minute nature of the request, this was not possible," chief executive Peter Curtis said in a statement.

"Mr. Jordan was reported missing to the police yesterday evening as a matter of caution, because he did not return from his normal trip to town and when he left had not told us he was still intent on trying to get to Normandy."

Police said in a statement that Jordan's friends "are going to ensure he gets back to Hove safely over the next couple of days after the D-Day celebrations finish."

Read more: British WWII veteran reported missing from nursing home found at D-Day events in Normandy | CTV News
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post

"In fact, staff at the home tried to get Mr. Jordan onto an accredited tour with the Royal British Legion but, due to the last-minute nature of the request, this was not possible," chief executive Peter Curtis said in a statement.

That's when a member of the nursing home staff should be stepping up to make sure that Mr. Jordan made it to the ceremony - accredited tour or not, official tour or not - Mr. Jordan has earned the right to attend. A debt is owed by each and every citizen of each modern Western democracy. The onus is on us to make good on that debt when an opportunity presents itself.

This is a truly heart warming story. That man has a sense of duty to his fallen comrades that we should all take a lesson from.
    shadowwalker and Recon1342 like this.
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    It's tough to stop WWII Vets from getting their way--they've earned it.
    ctr, NONAME762, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

He made it through D day he will be hard to stop.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Can't keep a good man down.
    Recon1342 and shadowwalker like this.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Hitler told him he couldn't go to Normandy, either...

I don't think I'd try to tell any of these gentlemen they couldn't go somewhere. They obviously are used to going places come heck or high water...
    I carry a gun because the government would be happier if I did not.

Senior Moderator

Thumbs up

Well done, Mr. Jordan. You taught those pukes at The Pines a thing or two.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

If he ever takes a notion to visit War of 1812 sites in Ohio, he can stay with me and I will take him around to them.
    "Pick a ride, any ride, they all go round and round."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Well done, Mr. Jordan. You taught those pukes at The Pines a thing or two.

Oh yeah and a half I'd say.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Good for him. Glad he made it...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links