Iraqi Air Force to get F-16's

This is a discussion on Iraqi Air Force to get F-16's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wonder what they will do these Lockheed Delivers First Fighter Jets to Iraqi Air Force | CW33 NewsFix...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Iraqi Air Force to get F-16's

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    They'll sit there after 3 years like the F-4's did 30 years ago.
    msgt/ret and DixieBelle like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

We export war better than anyone.

Ex Member
    Give Israel something to shoot at. The export versions come equipped with different levels of how the electronics are fitted. Israel probably is pretty close to our fighters, I doubt Iraq will be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Give Israel something to shoot at. The export versions come equipped with different levels of how the electronics are fitted. Israel probably is pretty close to our fighters, I doubt Iraq will be.
    I think they have onlt one wing alos
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I hope the jets are repainted first with baconized paint.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think they have onlt one wing alos

Pitting them against one of our Navy pilots, they might as well have only one wing.

They probably are equipped with their very own Kill Switch!
    CLASS3NH, msgt/ret and 1 old 0311 like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Anyone remember the USS Stark? Well, at least this time we are giving them to a stable, west leaning government.
    DixieBelle likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Or, a remotely operated ejection seat!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

In fairness, I actually have a fair bit of respect for the Iraqi security forces. Are they the most professional group of soldiers in the world, or most reliable, no. And honestly, having worked with both Iraq and Afghan security forces, I would rate the Afghans as better fighters. However, I walked many a security patrol side by side with men from both country, and they shared every risk that I encountered, and realistically probably had a higher level of risk. They had worse gear and worse training. They also had to worry about the safety of their families while we were on patrol, since AQI/the Taliban knew who security force members were, and they often served in their own locale.

I am not saying that they were all saints, but, on the whole, those guys swore an oath and put their lives on the line to try to make their country a better place for them, and their families to live in. And I can respect that. I would actually like to see a stable democracy in place in Iraq, whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. But, for that to be the case, they need to have strong enough security forces to defend themselves. So, that being said, as long as the Iraqi military remains a force trying to stabilize the country, and not a player on one side or the other of the sectarian violence that is currently threatening the stability of the country, I don't really see an issue with giving them some last generation planes that don't pose much of a threat to our own air superiority.

Admittedly, my days walking through Al-Anbar province during the Sunni awakening has created some bias in my viewpoint.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

buckey .45, exactly what generation of planes we have do you think will beat the F-16? The F-35? The F-22?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    buckey .45, exactly what generation of planes we have do you think will beat the F-16? The F-35? The F-22?
    The F-22 certainly would if we ever field enough of them. The F-35 is in my opinion, mostly a boondoggle.

But, even within the F-16 family, I believe that we are on the E/F variants currently.

From what I have seen the Iraqi variant, the F-16IQ, is comparable to the F-16C variant, which debuted 30 years ago.

So, even using our current inventory of F-16's, we are still a generation ahead, technologically speaking, since the E/F has a better powerplant, and much more advanced electronics.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm not an expert, or have inside, first- hand knowledge, but I've always assumed that when the US sell a weapons platform, it does not contain the latest 'bells and whistles' that our forces enjoy. That just seems like common sense to me. ?? The F-16 is a world class aircraft, but our pilots, training, technology and support; to include AWACS, and a live body on the ground for CAS, combined, truly makes this aircraft a superior weapon. As far as air combat is concerned, I suspect only Israel comes close to matching the US in 'time in the saddle'.
    1 old 0311 and DixieBelle like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I have no doubt the Israeli models are now equal if not better than ours. They're aren't dummies there. Have parts, will modify.
    1 old 0311 and DixieBelle like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links