Ugly gorilla

This is a discussion on Ugly gorilla within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While we reduce our effective "boots on the ground" military force; and increase our cyber security, we discover that the Chinese are hacking into our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ugly gorilla

Ugly gorilla

While we reduce our effective "boots on the ground" military force; and increase our cyber security, we discover that the Chinese are hacking into our utility grid to discover where our weaknesses are.

So we caught them, big deal. China HAS "boots on the ground" capabilities that we don't and never can.

So, not unlike D day, they can sacrifice bodies to overwhelm "technical and tactical"advantage we might have, and simply overwhelm us.

Think about it.

Story (forgive the source): UglyGorilla Hacker Left Tracks, U.S. Cyber-Hunters Say - Bloomberg
    Sister and herpjunkie like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The whole thing with the utility grid being destroyed to me would be more devastating than just about any other thing that could be done to the US. Each year this time I save up empty water jugs in case of hurricanes that may come near here, hope hurricanes are all I'm saving them up for but the power grid being hit is a reality I think big gubment has their head in the sand over.
    herpjunkie and Powpig2002 like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As I've always stated since all this "cyber-hacking" threat emerged, why are these sensitive/essential systems connected to the internet and subject to hacking? Duh...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I'll throw this in the mix and it's not all happening from the out side. Our grid is so fragile and needs major improvements that are very slow in coming and with the push for more electric cars for the country this will stress the system and the push is greater for the cars than it is for the grid so I guess I am silly but I think you should build a foundation first and then put a house on it. I know many will say that will take time but sometime you must remember the 6 Ps "Previous planning prevents piss poor performance " When a bird several years ago in Ca. caused a power outage thru Ca. Az. and Nv. I say we need to look closer but that's just me. The cars are at this point are minor but look at the possibilities is what I point out.
    ccw9mm, Hoganbeg and Sister like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    A grid that is susceptible to internet intrusion is a really bad idea and it is simply arrogant to think it can't/won't happen. This weakness is of course added to the previously existing ones that have been known for decades; solutions have yet to appear. No one wants to pay for a system that is truly robust. For one thing, we need far more points of power generation, so that outages remain local. In addition to cost, there are environmental considerations.

I thought we owed china the 16 trillion deficit but not true we owe them 1.6 trillion most we owe to social security an fed reserve I was truely surprised by this.

We can either complain about the government, the Chinese, hurricanes, etc. over which we have no control over, or we can take control over our own lives and begin to prepare ourselves, our family members and our friends for natural or man-made disasters. My impression of many DC forum members is that they are not waiting for the gruvment to come save them when the lights to out.
    But we need to spread the word beyond this forum and others like it. The only way this country is going to get stronger is from the grassroots up and making people more self-sufficient.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

VIP Member
    No surprise with respect to the hacking. China has the capability to put nearly 5 million soldiers into combat counting reserves I believe. The US has something on the order of 1.4 million. The US has something the Chinese don't have. 5 million NRA members. Around 40 percent of the population, roughly .8 million Americans are gun owners. I am not worried about an invasion on conus anytime soon. A nuclear or biological threat, a financial collapse, now that is something to worry about.
    Gun_guy and Bisquit69 like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    No surprise with respect to the hacking. China has the capability to put nearly 5 million soldiers into combat counting reserves I believe. The US has something on the order of 1.4 million. The US has something the Chinese don't have. 5 million NRA members. Around 40 percent of the population, roughly .8 million Americans are gun owners. I am not worried about an invasion on conus anytime soon. A nuclear or biological threat, a financial collapse, now that is something to worry about.
    I really hate to nit-pick, the current U.S. population is just under 314 Million. The United States has 89 Guns per 100 residents.

I do agree with what your saying. Remember the shoot & run tactics used in Vietnam, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, U.S. Invasion of Afghanistan, etc. Just think how terrible it would be to invade the United States. Actually putting boots on our soil would be a slaughter, whether the military is involved or not. I for one would not want to make that order.
    Recon1342 and Ghost1958 like this.

All I can say is that what they do to us we'll do to them. Their power grid is probably just as vulnerable as ours. Not to mention how many nukes we have. MAD probably applies here. But, I better go buy a vest just in case I need one should I survive the initial confrontation. I've already started stockpiling food and water. Don't know if we'll be fighting the Chinese, Russians, or terrorists, though. Maybe all three (and maybe more)?
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    How will they get all 5 million onto US soil? Therein lies the problem for the Chinese.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.
    Ghost1958 and Sister like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    I really hate to nit-pick, the current U.S. population is just under 314 Million. The United States has 89 Guns per 100 residents.

I do agree with what your saying. Remember the shoot & run tactics used in Vietnam, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, U.S. Invasion of Afghanistan, etc. Just think how terrible it would be to invade the United States. Actually putting boots on our soil would be a slaughter, whether the military is involved or not. I for one would not want to make that order.
    If you want to nit-pick the population numbers are low. As of the end of 2013 the US population was 317 million according to US News and World Reports. Other sources, which I referred to put the number much higher. Truth is no one save God has an exact count.

The NRA claims 5 million members - they ought to know. Sources I referred to (Gallup Poll) claimed 47 percent of Americans owned firearms. I used a more conservative estimate of 40 percent.

What is the quote, statistics and lies?

Either way, China won't attack US soil in any large scale numbers.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    How will they get all 5 million onto US soil? Therein lies the problem for the Chinese.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.

Simple... same way ants do it... human bridge.

Or junks...

Yeah, I know they got a problem with logistics, or at least our intel says they would. Our intel is never wrong, is it? They've built entire cities, with skyscrapers and all the bells and whistles that nobody lives in... if they can WASTE that kind of manpower, they can build a few hundred dozen ships... might take 'em a week (okay 3 weeks).

Pearl Harbor
    WMD
    OBL (for the LONGEST time)

now Ugly Gorilla... too late... our intel and info gathering on US citizens didn't catch THAT now did it?

How accurate is our intel, anyway? Our government knows every letter I type in this reply (or it did), but we can't seem to get the big stuff right in a timely manner.

This wasn't Breitbart or the Blaze reporting it. it was MSM... Bloomberg financial news fer cripes sakes!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As I've always stated since all this "cyber-hacking" threat emerged, why are these sensitive/essential systems connected to the internet and subject to hacking? Duh...
    Pony Express was better, yes, but why were they riding through high risk hostile territory?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I still get a little chuckle when the number of Americans that own guns is tossed out. Its way way low. I dare say in fly over country which doesnt collapse like a house of cards every time the lights flicker or water is off for a month, there are more unknown gun owners and carriers than there are known ones by a large margin. Im thinking more of them than there are NRA members. Lots of folks, consider the 2A their permit, will not go around disarmed and will not get permits etc to own and carry what they have every right to own and carry.

They just live their lives and keep their personal business to themselves. Invading America military or no would be like trying to kill a fire ant hill in flip flops.
    Whatever any ones political leanings youd see armed citizens coming out of the woodwork against a foreign invading army. No country is stupid enough to attack the U.S with an army on its own soil by conventional means.
    ctr and Recon1342 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links