So what is it with Americans joining up with ISIS?

This is a discussion on So what is it with Americans joining up with ISIS? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is the government throwing out some propaganda here, or do they have verifiable statistics to say hundreds of Americans have or are defecting to become ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: So what is it with Americans joining up with ISIS?

Is the government throwing out some propaganda here, or do they have verifiable statistics to say hundreds of Americans have or are defecting to become members of ISIS? Secondly, I wonder how or for what reason or self serving purpose an American born citizen could do something like this? Our own against us? It's just something that I cannot reasonably accept. Something that's likely to divide our society even more than what it already is.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

There have been societal losers since the very beginning. In 1945, there were still over 20K self-professed members of the Nazi Party who were American citizens. Nutjobs have sought attention this way for a long time. They are insignificant and should be ignored.

There are many American born or naturalized citizens who are radical muslims. Anyone remember Malcolm X?
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Are they perceiving themselves as "social losers" and looking to be accepted and to fit in somewhere? I dunno, it's baffling.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I say its awesome, get them all together over there and try out one of the barrel bombs

Poor little rich kids, wanting to play "Cowboys & Indians"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    There have been societal losers since the very beginning. In 1945, there were still over 20K self-professed members of the Nazi Party who were American citizens. Nutjobs have sought attention this way for a long time. They are insignificant and should be ignored.
    I hear you on the history lesson. Thing is, I'm not sure they should be ignored. My next door neighbor possibly? Viet Nam and the shoe shine boy with a bomb in the box? Six year old aiming an AK47 at you? Now they've come up with possible ties between ISIS and the Mexican drug cartels? Our open borders and influx of illegal aliens? How can one spot a 'sleeper cell' or suicide bomber? Should we think that DHS or the NSA has tabs on these people? What can WE do to avoid becoming like these countries where public bombings and heavy casualties are a daily ordeal?

I say its awesome, get them all together over there and try out one of the barrel bombs
    We could have nipped this in the bud over ten years ago. Now apparently (and conveniently) there are more 'innocents' to consider.

Poor little rich kids, wanting to play "Cowboys & Indians"
    So it all comes down to our lack of virtual video game development then? Folks just looking for the real thrill of desecrating life itself?

Think of how many Muslims live in the US, then apply how many percentage wise support radical Islam...I'm surprised it's not more. This just leads me to believe that citizenship does not equal someone being an American.

Americans are spoiled, ungratefull, juvinile, and in many cases just stupid. Americans have been rendered ignorant and will accept any viewpoint as their own as long as they dont have to do the work of independant thinking. This is quite evident when we look at the political landscape where people on both sides stand fast with politicians who mean the people no good. All just so they can be a part of something.

So we have morons who want to go play army and piss off the status quo. Think "hanoi jane". Just so they can claim to be part of something.

Distinguished Member
    There are 300+ million Americans plus a gobbleful of illegals inhabiting this great land of ours. To think that are few of us are a few genes short of being human isn't too much of a stretch.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    It’s not just Americans after all wasn’t the butcher that murdered the reporters reported to be British?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I certainly don't want them back, so they can die with the rest of their brotherhood.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'd be willing to sponsor a program that will buy a boat ticket for anybody wishing to defect to ISIS. Load 'em up, ship 'em out, cancel their visas, passports & citizenship. Set them free to chase after their paradise of 72 male virgins, and even help them get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Americans are spoiled, ungratefull, juvinile, and in many cases just stupid. Americans have been rendered ignorant and will accept any viewpoint as their own as long as they dont have to do the work of independant thinking. This is quite evident when we look at the political landscape where people on both sides stand fast with politicians who mean the people no good. All just so they can be a part of something.

So we have morons who want to go play army and piss off the status quo. Think "hanoi jane". Just so they can claim to be part of something.
    Very sad indeed, but I think you're correct in many ways. I never thought of independent thinking as 'work', but I agree not many want to work for anything these days.
    kukla and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post

I think Secret Spuk nailed it. I think of a college kid wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt, and I stopped him and asked him what he knew about him. He only knew that he thought it was cool to wear.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links