Gun purchase Advice Needed, Please

This is a discussion on Gun purchase Advice Needed, Please within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My husband is a LEO and has mentioned recently that he would like to own a "small .38 special." With his birthday approaching, this sounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Gun purchase Advice Needed, Please

My husband is a LEO and has mentioned recently that he would like to own a "small .38 special." With his birthday approaching, this sounds like an ideal gift. However, I know nothing about revolvers. He carries a Glock .45 service weapon and his backup is a Glock .40. I know Glocks but not revolvers.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. He wants a .38 special so no bashing. Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Member
    Go to a gun store and talk to someone who can help you and show you some options. welcome and good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

It is really difficult to give you an answer. There are many good revolvers on the market, but guns are something that are personal choice. My suggestion would be try to find out what make and model he is interested in and then give him a gift card in that amount to a local gun store.
    sdprof likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm trying to figure out if there is a "gold standard" or if there is a particular make and model that people with gun knowledge gravitate towards.

I know S&W along with Taurus offer lifetime warranties but there is a vast difference in price. There are hammerless and one that comes with a Crimson Trace laser sight.

He'll carry whichever one I purchase but don't want to purchase a POS.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    You'll pay more, but you would probably want to stick with S&W or Ruger over Taurus. Both are much better quality arms.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

He is probably looking at a smith & Wesson 642, or a 638 these are what we carried as a backup weapons they have no exposed hammer to snag on pockets or other clothing.
    Aceoky, BamaT, LEOWife and 1 others like this.

There are many good revolvers on the market so go to a couple gun stores and take a look. Ruger makes a 38 special +p with the Crimson Trace you might take a look at. Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models Just a suggestion but go to store maybe one you know he frequents.
    deadsexy likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Thank you very much. I prefer the S&W but now know which models to look at.

Administrator
    You can't go wrong with a smith n Wesson 642 or 442. Those are the most popular among LEO. My personal pick is the 442 and it's been with me everyday, every shift for years.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Agree with above posters on the Smith 642, 442, or 638. I have a 642, but my wife decided she wanted it, so I now usually carry a Ruger LCR, or a Smith model 64 with 2" barrel, but the 64 is probably bigger than what you may have in mind, it's a 6 shot medium frame revolver. The Ruger LCR is a great compact and lightweight revolver, with a nice smooth double action trigger.
    NRA Life Member

My uncle is a retired cop. For years he carried a S&W model 60 as a backup.

I will make the grossly arrogant move of telling you he wants a Smith and Wesson 638. period.
    untffitled.png

he will not want something with a hammer. and the true hammerless 642 is great, but the above model allows him some more options, without any side effects.
    try hard to find a "no lock" model.

he will likely want to change out the grips, either to laser grips as you've already alluded too, or oversized wood jobs.
    untitlffed.png

but that is a bridge you(or he) can cross later. he may just want to leave it stock. I would not spend extra on that now.

I would find it very hard to believe any LEO would actively want a Taurus, Rossi, or Charter. not even worth looking at.

the only other two considerations are this -
    the above mentioned Ruger LCR. is a lighter-weight option. if you think he will be ankle carrying, or is sensitive to weight, he may want one, but the Smith is the exemplar .38.

OR- is he into antique/collectible guns? if so, maybe he wants an older Colt or Smith.... in which case you're on a goose hunt, you're going to need knowledgeable help to track down a serviceable, affordable, but likely not too pristine example of an older weapon.
    something like a Colt Detective special - untitldded.png - but finding one of these that is at once in good enough shape for a LEO to trust his life to everyday, that is also not too pristine, that is also within reason for budget, could be chicken teeth.

normally I am the one beating to the war drums of letting an individual pick their own gun. but if you present a nice (even lightly used if you can find one!) S&W 638 "no lock" model to your husband, he will be happy. I promise.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

If there is a gold standard, it's a Smith and Wesson 642, which is hammerless. Other options are 637 (exposed hammer), 638 (shrouded hammer), 442 (black-colored version of 642). Ruger has the LCR series, which is excellent but more expensive. For a lower-price option, the Charter Arms Undercover revolvers are supposed to be good these days (and you could get him a pink one, but he might not appreciate it).
    John_W_in_SC likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member.

A pre-lock S&W J-frame or a Colt would be on my wish list. Don't rule out a .357 magnum that also shoots the .38 specials.
    NickBurkhardt and Aceoky like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links