Hell Week in Jackson County, Florida

This is a discussion on Hell Week in Jackson County, Florida within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just up the road, about 30-miles from me, a man I consider a friend, and a hero, lost his wife and a deputy to a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell Week in Jackson County, Florida

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar

Hell Week in Jackson County, Florida

Just up the road, about 30-miles from me, a man I consider a friend, and a hero, lost his wife and a deputy to a couple of scumbags. The man is Johnny McDaniel, "Johnny Mac" to the locals here. He's the Sheriff of Jackson County, Florida. His wife, Mellie, was returning home from the grocery store when she was murdered.

Mrs. McDaniel was on the phone with her husband when she pulled into the driveway of their home in Marianna, Florida last week. She had advised him she had been followed home, and he'd summoned backup. Story is, Sheriff McDaniel heard his wife's screams, and the gunshots that killed her, on the radio phone they were using. Immediately after this, Jackson County Deputy Michael Altman arrived, and he too, was shot dead.

When Sheriff McDaniel arrived, he also came under fire. Two deputies that arrived immediately after him killed the two scumbags with a hail of automatic weapons fire. They too, are heroes.

The funerals were Saturday. I was in Marianna, and the entire community is just sad. Deflated. Like the wind has been knocked out of the whole town.

This is a modern day horror story. It's summarized, but it's true--it's also a story I wish that never happened, something never to be shared.

If you're so inclined, please say a prayer for Johnny McDaniel and his family. Also for Deputy Micheal Altman and his. A kind word for a deeply shaken community wouldn't hurt either.

2. Remove Ads

Prayers sent. My condolences to all......

How sad that our world still has people capable of things like this.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Prayers sent. Truely a horrible tragedy. I can't even imagine what he's going through. I'm glad they killed the trash that did this.

Mabe this will wake some people up. It takes a real scum bag to do something like this. Were the BGs some one trying to get even with the sheriff or was it a robbery attempt?

I am there in spirit. Wish I could be there, to offer respectful honor to those who needlessly died ... and to p(#& on the graves of the murderers who committed this atrocity.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    I am sickened and stunned at such atrocity ....... it is hard to find words that are either adequate or allowable.

RIP to the lady and deputy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

wow... i'm speechless. He's got my thoughts and prayers though.

i'm glad the killers were gunned down in a rain of fire too.. it can't bring the dead back, but it's as close to an emotional justice I guess that can be given to the Sheriff McDaniel.
    I know if I were in that position, just too late and had my spouse killed, I'm sure I'd have emptied every round in anger, even after the BGs were killed, then finally brake down emotionally after.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    May God grant the Sheriff peace and the families and community comfort. No words!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the two BG's was under suspicion for the murder of his wife (and possibly a wife prior to that) and Sheriff McDaniel testified at a hearing that the case was still open. Dirtbag was trying to collect her life insurance, and the fact that the case was open threw a wrench into his plan. He apparently recruited his yard/maintenance guy to assist and provide an alibi.

At this time, evidence discovered in the dirtbag's vehicle indicate an intent to kidnap, rape, torture and ultimately murder both the sheriff and his wife. When Mrs. McDaniel arrived home she was in communication with her husband, and backup was enroute. I suspect the cellphone/radio phone communication which was going on at the time may have sealed her fate. Deputy Altman arrived within moments and he was gunned down when he attempted to provide assistance to Mrs. McDaniel. Reports indicate the Sheriff came under fire upon arrival, but the BG's missed. Immediately after, two more Jackson County deputies arrived (at least one a SWAT team member) and opted for fully automatic weapons. Dirtbags were exterminated. Published reports state the entire incident lasted a total of seven (7) minutes start to finish.

To answer your question, the sheriff was targeted specifically in retaliation. Both Sheriff and Mrs. McDaniel have always been held in very high esteem in Jackson County, and I've been told that he'd never lost a precinct in 27-years service as sheriff.

More than 300 law enforcement officers from Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and other states attended Mrs. McDaniels funeral Saturday.

The details are available at www.wjhg.com, www.wmbb.com, and www.jcfloridan.com.

Sad Indeed...

I'm only 90 miles away...I feel deeply saddened for the Sheriff and his family/friends...

The only saving grace is the 'proper' questioning techniques used by the responding deputies...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I'm planning to move to that area and just happened to be in Marianna on Sat. morning. I heard about the incident and saw several members of different departments arriving for the funeral. A really sad day. The person I was in town to see told me how popular the Sheriff is. Glad they killed the scumbags.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    IARC there was a news story that 27 years ago he responded to a robbery where his father was killed by a serial murderer.

Makes me wonder, how many LEOs' wives take their personal security serious enough. While rare, they can make a fine target or collateral.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That's true--he was a deputy at the time, responded to a robbery and his dad was the victim. The perps on that one were Ottis Toole and Henry Lee Lucas, two serial killers that wreaked havoc from Jacksonville, Florida, all the way to Texas and beyond. Fortunately, both of those dregs have passed. Regrettably, we paid the freight for both until they died in prison.

Wow. Very sad. I used to live across the river in Chattahoochee, FL.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Hits so close to home. RIP.

This state is on fire with crime already this early in the year.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links