Question

Question

This is a discussion on Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I come from a Federal position where drug and alcohol tests were required and common. Many tests on Friday then a retest on Monday catching ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 2 Post By Old Sarge
  • 2 Post By CLASS3NH
  • 3 Post By mardet
  • 2 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 2 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 1 Post By Rabbit212
  • 1 Post By Cold Shot

Thread: Question

Distinguished Member

Question

I come from a Federal position where drug and alcohol tests were required and common. Many tests on Friday then a retest on Monday catching all that thought Friday gave clearance to use during the weekend.

In searching all the resources I can find there is no mention of drug testing an officer in a shooting nor the shooter in a civilian shooting. I find it odd that there is no blood draw.

Am I missing something is there no requirement to know if the shooter is unimpaired? I thought about this after reading Chorizos thoughts on medication.

Straighten me out on this if you would.
    Phaedrus and gatorbait51 like this.

It makes sense to me. All involved should have a blood draw. Would reduce speculation and doubts.

Makes sense to me...... This in itself can clear an Officer, or... unfortunatly, the reverse............................ It can ALSO help to convict the individual (s) involved....The D O T does it, more and more Companies are doing it too. .Makes PERFECT sense to me in every way.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It could be made a condition of employment for the LEO, but would probably require a warrant for the perp. 5th Amendment etc...
    "There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is the defense of our home and the other is the Bill of Rights".

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It might help explain someone's state of mind but I'm not sure it really changes a good shoot to a bad one. or vice versa.
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

I've never had to submit to a drug test after using my firearm. As an elevator mechanic I always get tested after any kind of an accident. Even if someone hits my car.
    gatorbait51 and Phaedrus like this.

Same here hit anything with the company vehicle and it's off to the lab. Had a guy run over a sprinkler head at a school and he had to go pee pee even though the sprinkler head was not visible due to high grass.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    It might help explain someone's state of mind but I'm not sure it really changes a good shoot to a bad one. or vice versa.
    Yes, and yet the tendency might be to make assumptions that it did. Hence, a bad idea... which most drug testing is.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I've never had to submit to a drug test after using my firearm. As an elevator mechanic I always get tested after any kind of an accident. Even if someone hits my car.
    Is that just your company's policy or has DOT somehow decided that elevators are transportation regulatable by DOT?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Same here hit anything with the company vehicle and it's off to the lab. Had a guy run over a sprinkler head at a school and he had to go pee pee even though the sprinkler head was not visible due to high grass.
    Sad. This is sort of the rough equivalent of suspending a kid from school for drawing a gun.

Someone has no sense.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    It makes sense to me. All involved should have a blood draw. Would reduce speculation and doubts.
    I understand your sentiment, but for every problem there is often "simple solution" which is wrong.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Is that just your company's policy or has DOT somehow decided that elevators are transportation regulatable by DOT?
    I don't really know anything except being an elevator mechanic is probably the most sought after blue collar job in America. It is highly regulated and unionized. I am really just responding because it is a cool job that most people don't realize.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    There would have to be reasonable cause to draw blood--above and beyond the shooting itself--such as slurred speech, etc. Still, in FL, drunks still have the right to defend themselves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links