Suicide bombers in America?

This is a discussion on Suicide bombers in America? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suicide bombers in America?

"Pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."
    John F. Kennedy (From his innauguration speech)
    More and more, as the days fly by, it becomes obvious that JFK's Minutemen are us. I am old enough that I probably won't have to bear the price, burden or hardship that I believe will be borne by my children. It becomes more obvious every day that the one right that guarantees all others is the primary target of our 'representatives'. For, as long as that right prevails we shall prevail. We have no options to enter into 'dialogue' with those who seek to disarm us. We have no imperative to agree to 'sensible' gun laws. We have one and only one imperative. Pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, in order to assure the preservation of the 2nd Amendment. It alone guarantees our freedom and liberty.

BuzzG
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

CONFIRMATION: UTAH GUNMAN WAS MUSLIM:

This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which follows.
    To view this item online, visit http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=54247

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

HOMELAND INSECURITY
    Utah gunman, 18, was Muslim from Bosnia
    Killed 5 in crowded shopping mall before being gunned down
    Posted: February 13, 2007
    7:29 p.m. Eastern

2007 WorldNetDaily.com

The 18-year-old gunman who killed five people in a crowded Utah shopping mall was a Bosnian Muslim refugee who was prepared to kill many more, say investigators.

An off-duty police officer having an early Valentine's Day dinner with his wife was credited today with cornering Sulejmen Talovic, exchanging fire with him until other officers arrived to shoot and kill the gunman.

The trench-coated teenager wanted to "to kill a large number of people" and probably would have killed many more if not for the off-duty officer, Police Chief Chris Burbank said.

(Story continues below)

A friend said Talovic was from the war-torn country of Bosnia and that the trauma he experienced while growing up may have led to him snapping for some reason.

Ken Hammond, an off-duty officer from Ogden, north of Salt Lake City, jumped up from his seat at a restaurant after hearing gunfire and cornered the gunman, exchanging fire with him until other officers arrived, Burbank said.

"There is no question that his quick actions saved the lives of numerous other people," the police chief said.

Police said it was not immediately clear who fired the shot that killed Talovic.

Talovic had a backpack full of ammunition, a shotgun and a .38-caliber pistol, police said. Investigators knew little about Talovic, except than he lived in Salt Lake City with his mother, the chief said. He was enrolled in numerous city schools before withdrawing in 2004, the school district said. Initially, police refused to release his name or any information about his background.

Talovic drove to the Trolley Square shopping center a century-old former trolley barn with winding hallways, brick floors and wrought-iron balconies, and immediately killed two people, followed by a third victim as he came through a door, Burbank said. Five other people were then shot in a gift shop, he said.

Four people who were wounded remained hospitalized today, two in critical condition, two in serious.

Outside the mall, candles and flowers were left as memorials to the victims.

Hammond's boss, Ogden Police Chief Jon Greiner, said the state Senate wants to honor him.

"Thank goodness he was there," said Greiner, who is also a state senator. "You don't want to ever say it's good we were there and killed somebody, but it's probably good someone was there."

Accountant Jeff Barlow was on a date at a restaurant when he looked outside and saw the gunman firing from the hip.

"I thought it was some kind of joke some kind of movie or stunt," Barlow said. "I didn't believe it was happening. And then I saw a man go down in a courtyard. I realized this was serious. These are real bullets flying around."

David Dean, who owns a greeting-card store at the mall, said three or four people died inside his store, which was packed with Valentine's Day shoppers.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    CONFIRMATION: UTAH GUNMAN WAS MUSLIM:

A friend said Talovic was from the war-torn country of Bosnia and that the trauma he experienced while growing up may have led to him snapping for some reason.

he lived in Salt Lake City with his mother,

David Dean, who owns a greeting-card store at the mall, said three or four people died inside his store, which was packed with Valentine's Day shoppers.
    Was it his troubled childhood, the fact that he still lived with his mother, or maybe he's anti-Catholic? You know, St. Valentine and all that.
    Last edited by sgtD; February 14th, 2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Possible motives.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Was it his troubled childhood, the fact that he still lived with his mother, or maybe he's anti-Catholic? You know, St. Valentine and all that.
    Maybe he's got a THANG for Al Capone and Massacres. More St Valentines Day trivia....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thank God Ken Hammond was at the right place at the right time.He should be honored. It's another case of an off duty cop putting his butt on the line for other people. If this muslim kid hated us so much why is he here???

News Flash.

This guy / kid was a muslem. I think this raises this incident into the realm of terrorism.

Also, the off duty LEO who engaged him was carrying his gun, but no spare magazines! What the heck is up with that?

I think this should motivate him and anyone else who carries to take along at least one spare mag every time they hit the street.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    This guy / kid was a muslem. I think this raises this incident into the realm of terrorism.
    Possibly.
    Although I am inclined to believe that if he was killing in the name of terrorism rather than because he couldn't get a girlfriend/good grades/decent job/whatever, then he was more 'shoe bomber' than Mohammed Atta.

If it was a serious terroristic effort I would expect coordinated attacks in multiple locations, that is the pattern established on 9.11 and in London.

I see this as a sad individual who chose suicide by cop and took innocents with him.

sig P239 (formerly PT-111, soon to be Glock 23),

I agree totally on that one. I was suprised that he did not have a spare mag. What happens if the baseplate falls off the mag? A gat in one hand, gots in the other and a whole bunch of ammo crashing on the ground.

I figure that it is most likely that he wanted to be a "terrorist" but had no actual connections. So he found an easy way to kill some people (that made him feel like a terrorist) and them meet allah and 63 virginians!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251820,00.html

An American citizen charged with receiving terrorist training at an Al Qaeda camp in Somalia — including classes in how to become a homicide bomber and "wage violent jihad" — was taken into custody by FBI agents and returned to the U.S. Monday night night, Justice Department officials told FOX News.

An indictment unsealed Tuesday by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Houston charges Daniel Joseph Maldonado, 28, a.k.a Daniel Aljughaifi and Abu Mohammed, whose last known address was in Houston, with receiving training from a foreign terrorist organization and conspiring to use an explosive device outside the United States.

Maldonado was captured by the Kenyan military on January 21 as he fled to avoid capture by Ethiopian and Somali government forces battling Al Qaeda-backed rebels, Justice Department officials said.

He was turned over to U.S. law enforcement officials last weekend, and flown to Houston on Monday night accompanied by special agents of the FBI. He appeared Tuesday afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Calvin Botley, who ordered him detained without bond pending a detention hearing on Feb. 20.

If convicted, Maldonado could face life imprisonment on the bomb-making charge, while receiving military training from a terrorist organization carries a maximum punishment of 10 years, the Justice Department said.

"Any who seek to aid terrorists in their mission to threaten our national security will be held to account for such serious criminal conduct," said Don DeGabrielle, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District in Houston. The investigation included elements of the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the Houston Police Department.

According to criminal allegations in the complaint, Maldonado traveled from Houston, Texas, to Africa in November, 2005 and then on to Somalia in December, 2006. At that point, he joined the Islamic Courts Union (ICU) and elements of Al Qaeda to fight "jihad" against the Transitional Federal Government to establish of an independent Islamic State in Somalia.

In the fall of 2006, the ICU used suicide bombers and vehicles containing improvised explosive devices to target the leadership of the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia, the complaint said.

While in Somalia, Maldonado was, according to the complaint, provided an AK-47, equipped with military combat uniforms and boots in Mogadishu, and participated in training camps in Kismaayo and Jilib, Somalia.

The camps included physical fitness, firearms and explosives training all in preparation to go to the front to fight for the ICU.

Al Qaeda members were allegedly present at the training camp. During the course of his training, the complaint alleges Maldonado spoke to an individual about his willingness to become a suicide bomber if he was wounded, and also observed the making and testing of bombs with the group's bomb-maker, the complaint said.

"This case represents the first criminal prosecution of an American suspected of joining forces with Islamic extremist fighters in Somalia," said Kenneth L. Wainstein, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department's National Security Division. "The prosecution of Mr. Maldonado demonstrates the scope of our laws and serves as a warning to others who would travel overseas to wage violent jihad."

Joseph Billy, Assistant Director of the FBI Counterterrorism Division, said, "The FBI is working closely with our law enforcement and intelligence community partners in this country and around the world to bring all necessary resources to bear to protect Americans and its allies from terrorist attacks."
    This guy was just given over to U.S. custody. He was training to be a bomber in the U.S. I hope he gets the maximum possible sentence. According to the article he was going to be a homicide bomber, not suicide bomber, but I still think it fit's this thread.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

According to the article he was going to be a homicide bomber, not suicide bomber, but I still think it fit's this thread.
    Homicide bomber is the same thing as suicide bomber, Fox News and some other media outlets use the term instead to add gravitas.
    There were also some arrests in France today, apparently some people returning from training in Iraq were detained on landing on French soil.

I see your point 0.02. Homicide bomber for me usually brings up images of someone like the Unabomber, who are a serial bomber and do it multiple times, as opposed to a "suicide bomber" who can obviously only strap on a dynamite vest once (even though they are commiting multiple homicides usually). I don't know what Fox news implied, but that is what my statement was based off of.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Homicide Bomber or Suicide Bomber?
    A number of conservatives have begun insisting that "suicide bombers" actually be labeled "homicide bombers" in order to emphasize the fact that these people are killing others. As a consequence, conservative news outlets like Fox News have been noticed re-writing reports from services like AP, replacing "suicide" with "homicide" - but does that really make any sense? After all, aren't all bombers aiming for "homicide"?

In addition, note that the term "homicide bomber" only makes sense as a pun on the more known and very similar "suicide bomber." What if we substituted a synonym, calling it a "killer bomber"? It would not make sense, as that is the objective of all terrorist bombs to kill. In a language (like Norwegian) where the words for killing others and killing self are not so similar, the new term would not have any meaning at all.

If the neologism should actually catch on and substitute the original, future generations will not understand why a bomber where the perpetrators die is called a "homicide bomb" while a remote controlled or timed bomb is not. Indeed, the term can only have meaning when it is used to state a political message by a minority.

The term "homicide bomber" really doesn't communicate anything new or important about the bombing itself; on the other hand, "suicide bomber" does because it informs us that someone wanted to bomb a target so badly that they were willing to die in the process and that, in fact, dying along with the victims was part of the point. The term "suicide bomber" communicates information; "homicide bomber" does not - except, perhaps, about the political orientation of the speaker/writer.

LINK

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Pick 10 malls or WalMarts in the most podunk areas of the country you can imagine. Let suicide bombers do their work. Do you rreally think America will go shopping after that?

As for interdicting bombers:

Failsafe switches a la boom when released.
    Remote detonation by a controller.

CCWers ain't gonna help a whole lot.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This guy should never get out of prison. He will never change. Tie a charge to him with a long fuse and drop him in a deep hole.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links