Suicide bombers in America?

This is a discussion on Suicide bombers in America? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 0.02 Homicide Bomber or Suicide Bomber? The term "suicide bomber" communicates information; "homicide bomber" does not - except, perhaps, about the political ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suicide bombers in America?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Homicide Bomber or Suicide Bomber?
    The term "suicide bomber" communicates information; "homicide bomber" does not - except, perhaps, about the political orientation of the speaker/writer.
    Exactly right! I guess the spin they want to put on the term is that the bombers are . . . bad. I think that's a given. "Suicide bomber" conveys the concept of the fanatic, and is descriptive of the tactic. Sadly, there are also lots of bombers that are not suicidal.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

They're murderers who are willing to die for their causes. They're dangerous in a way unmatched by many others, because of that simple distinction. The gov't and media can/will spin it any number of ways, but that doesn't matter. Suicide bombers = murderers with greater willpower than most. That about covers it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    sig P239 (formerly PT-111, soon to be Glock 23),

I agree totally on that one. I was suprised that he did not have a spare mag. What happens if the baseplate falls off the mag? A gat in one hand, gots in the other and a whole bunch of ammo crashing on the ground.
    Thanks for the comment........and the poke in the ribs.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ari Fleischer, then WH Spokesman, was the first to use the term. Fox followed soon after.
    It's an interesting tactic, the emphasis is changed from what the enemy deems an 'honorable act of suicide' into a lowly act of murder.
    Of course it is murder, but the new terminology clouds the issue and prevents clarification.
    It was a good idea, it could've cheapened their cause and reduced the number of suicide bombers, but I do feel it will eventually cease to be used as most media haven't adopted it.

Wink "Podunk is an insult"

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Pick 10 malls or WalMarts in the most podunk areas of the country you can imagine. Let suicide bombers do their work. Do you rreally think America will go shopping after that?

As for interdicting bombers:

Failsafe switches a la boom when released.
    Remote detonation by a controller.

CCWers ain't gonna help a whole lot.
    I think you're misreading (badly) the areas you refer to as "podunk" which I'm guessing you mean rural. Those folks are tough, hardy and devout. I'd feel safe in referring to them as the backbone of this country. Responsible for winning two world wars and a half dozen police actions. These folks don't "scare" easily. I'd be more ready to agree with you if you'd mentioned the sheep of the liberal northeastern states and packed megalopolis city complexes.

A failsafe (aka "DEADMAN") switch is problematical because they're touchy and apt to go off prematurely. Almost the same problem with the remote control...especially in an area with heavy wireless useage. There's only so much bandwidth to play with. Be rough if JOHNNY JIHAD went up EARLY because somebody tried to open his garage door. That's one reason why construction areas post signs requesting passing motorists not use garage door openers or CB radios. I think cell phones are safe though.

CCW has stopped numerous suicide bombers in Israel. Tell them it won't help.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I think you're misreading (badly) the areas you refer to as "podunk" which I'm guessing you mean rural. Those folks are tough, hardy and devout. I'd feel safe in referring to them as the backbone of this country. Responsible for winning two world wars and a half dozen police actions. These folks don't "scare" easily. I'd be more ready to agree with you if you'd mentioned the sheep of the liberal northeastern states and packed megalopolis city complexes.
    Well stated. As usual.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

ExSoldier,

I can't speak for paramedic70002, but I think that in general the "sheep" mostly grazing in the urban areas would be frozen and less apt to shop regardless of where the attacks happened. The people in the boondocks would probably make a mental note to buy more ammo for the house and make sure the truck gun is cleaned and well oiled (among other things).

The citizens of Israel are used to the violence on their own home territory, moreso than us Americans. Most violence in US is from the criminal element, not from outside forces (exceptions in Pearl Harbor, Pancho Villa, German Bomb Balloon in PNW and 911)

I hate to say it, but there may be a day when the Americans will become accustomed to violent attacks on our soil.

Unhappy

I hate to say it, but there may be a day when the Americans will become accustomed to violent attacks on our soil.
    I have thought about this subject many times, and I agree with your assesment. People as a species are rather resiliant and can get used to all manner of things.

Case in point: Look at the reaction of people in a small town to a murder or drive by shooting as compared to those in the big cities where these things are commonplace. After the initial shock value is gone, it barely makes the news when this stuff happens.

Currently there has been a surge in shootings and homicides in Ft. Myers. A rarity in that area, so it makes the news. I would be willing bet that in a few years if things keep getting worse, it won't be news when this stuff happens.

I think people's responce to terrorism will evolve in the same way. The initial shock will cause calamity, but if it becomes a regular occurance, like in the middle east, people will get somewhat used to it.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    In the mean time GW has the gall to allow 7000 Iraq citizens to migrate into the U.S.A. How many will become suicide bombers? Remember after 9/11 the government was scaring us with sleeper cells? Now the government may be importing them.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I used the term podunk to denote rural areas. As I live in one, I consider myself podunk. I did not intend to infer a substandard human. My point being, if 10 rural malls/WalMarts get bombed, then the fear factor becomes, "Is mine next?" And while I would be prepared were I to come face to face with a BG in this situation, I would be scared! Only fools aren't scared.

ExSoldier,

I can't speak for paramedic70002, but I think that in general the "sheep" mostly grazing in the urban areas would be frozen and less apt to shop regardless of where the attacks happened.

We can't even get America to accept combat losses in a combat zone. I'm betting the hue and cry from Mr. & Mrs. America would be to stop the terrorists like they want to stop the soldiers being killed. Will likely lead to serious migraines on all fronts. To fight violence, somebody has got to go in harms way.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I used the term podunk to denote rural areas. As I live in one, I consider myself podunk. I did not intend to infer a substandard human. My point being, if 10 rural malls/WalMarts get bombed, then the fear factor becomes, "Is mine next?" And while I would be prepared were I to come face to face with a BG in this situation, I would be scared! Only fools aren't scared.

Your right in that case. I think attacks in small towns would be scarier in a way. Most attacks have occured in big cities, so the rest of us who live in podunkville really don't worry about an IED exploding in our town. However, if it started happening in random small towns as well as major cities, the effect would be bad.

A practical note on suicide-bomber tech:

Vests can be easily made to self-detonate if the wearer is shot/taken to the ground. Pretty simple, using parts you can get from household devices or the hardware store.

AX

Exclamation Personal Jihad in NASHVILLE?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Your right in that case. I think attacks in small towns would be scarier in a way. Most attacks have occured in big cities, so the rest of us who live in podunkville really don't worry about an IED exploding in our town. However, if it started happening in random small towns as well as major cities, the effect would be bad.
    It's happened AGAIN, but the msm has ignored it....I got this from an e-letter I subscribe to from http://jihadwatch.org and I'd recommend to all here you do the same.

February 18, 2007

Nashville: Muslim cabbie tries to run down two students after "fight over religion became heated"
    Some stand on streetcorners and hand out religious tracts. Some use different methods of persuasion. "Cabbie Runs Down Students: Religious Argument Leaves One Hospitalized," from WSMV.com, with thanks to Jerry:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A local cab driver allegedly tried to run over two customers after a fight over religion became heated.
    The incident happened early Sunday morning on the Vanderbilt campus and left one man hospitalized and a cab driver arrested, said police

Two students visiting from Ohio were coming from a bar downtown when they got into an argument with their driver over religion, said police. After they paid the driver he allegedly ran them down in a parking lot.

Ibrihim Ahmed, of United Cab, was arrested and charged with assault, attempted homicide and theft. One of the passengers, Andrew Nelson, managed to outrun the cab but Jeremy Invus was taken to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center with serious injuries, said police....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs down Dead Man's Switch

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    A practical note on suicide-bomber tech:

Vests can be easily made to self-detonate if the wearer is shot/taken to the ground. Pretty simple, using parts you can get from household devices or the hardware store.

AX
    Sure it's a mechanical Dead Man's Switch where constant pressure is needed to keep the circuit OPEN and taking the bombers finger OFF the button (like a sniper's shot to the neural band) causes the circuit to close and....KaBOOM! Problem is that if the little Jihadi has to scratch his nose or his palms get sweaty or he's inadvertently and innocently "bumped".... all of these can cause a ummmmm (forgive me) pre-mature detonation.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys , lets step back and take a deep breath. Not every VCA who is a muslim is a terr. Just as every christian VCA is not a cursader terr. .
    IMHO homocide bombers may well happen here , but not from any kind of organised cell . Were I to want to disrupt the usa it is so much easyer to send out " mohammad/malvo teams than it is to actualy do a bombing Bombing is a stupid waste of resources. Yes expslosives are easy to make , Yes you can do it with gunpowder , howeaver you can teach a guy to shoot the crosshairs easyer and your jehadist can easily travel interstate with guns . No matter if its detroitastan or britianastan , rest assured the cells in the usa realise it is easyer to make a sniper team than it is to aquire comercial expslosives, or make the same to put on a vest. IMHO when we see a school or mall takeover for allah it will be with firearms , not exposives . Is the war on terror comeing home , yes , is it in the way we prepair for NO .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; February 19th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links