Remember the anti's reasons for not allowing .50BMG sales?

This is a discussion on Remember the anti's reasons for not allowing .50BMG sales? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Their standard cry was......"We can't allow civilians to purchase these, they may shoot down a airliner..........or.......terrorists may buy them at gun shows." Well who knew ...

Thread: Remember the anti's reasons for not allowing .50BMG sales?

VIP Member

Their standard cry was......"We can't allow civilians to purchase these, they may shoot down a airliner..........or.......terrorists may buy them at gun shows."

Well who knew that the way terrorists would get them was from a 'legitimate' source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...13/wiran13.xml

Iraqi insurgents using Austrian rifles from Iran
    Austrian sniper rifles that were exported to Iran have been discovered in the hands of Iraqi terrorists, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

More than 100 of the.50 calibre weapons, capable of penetrating body armour, have been discovered by American troops during raids.

A Steyr HS50 rifle, Austrian supplied rifles, arms trade, Iran equipping Iraq insurgents
    The Steyr HS50 is a long range, high precision rifle

The guns were part of a shipment of 800 rifles that the Austrian company, Steyr-Mannlicher, exported legally to Iran last year.

The sale was condemned in Washington and London because officials were worried that the weapons would be used by insurgents against British and American troops.

Within 45 days of the first HS50 Steyr Mannlicher rifles arriving in Iran, an American officer in an armoured vehicle was shot dead by an Iraqi insurgent using the weapon.

Over the last six months American forces have found small caches of the 10,000 rifles but in the last 24 hours a raid in Baghdad brought the total to more than 100, US defence sources reported.
    submitters note: needless to say Steyr won't EVER get any of my business..........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    HMMM... I have been looking at a Steyr pistol too.

Well that helped me to make up my mind. Definitly the XD. I can't change who Steyr does buisness with, but I don't have to buy from them.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Time to target Iran. I say bomb the places that are supplying stuff that kills our troops.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    Time to target Iran. I say bomb the places that are supplying stuff that kills our troops.
    We need about 1,000,000 more troops before we get into another shooting war.

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like Iranian dollars speak louder than the integrity (or lack of it) involved in supplying any middle East countries
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Anyone remember the song "Bomb Iran" I believe by Wierd Al Yankovick? Maybe we should include Austria for supplying them with the Steyr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    With what?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Anyone remember the song "Bomb Iran" I believe by Wierd Al Yankovick? Maybe we should include Austria for supplying them with the Steyr.
    Great Idea !! and hey lets charge gun dealers / companys with crimes for what criminals do with guns here in the usa too .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Great Idea !! and hey lets charge gun dealers / companys with crimes for what criminals do with guns here in the usa too .
    I know you're being sarcastic....but in this case, maybe Steyr & Austria needs to be held accountable. They both knew who they were selling these guns to. It wasn't like they were selling them to France, they were selling to Iran, a known supporter of Islamic terrorism & known hater of the USA.

This is like Smith & Wesson selling firearms directly to MS13 or some other gang of miscreants with the government's approval. You know that everybody would be calling for S&Ws destruction, along with removal of the government behind the decision.

And lastly, IRAN should be held to account, let's not forget them.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I agree totaly that iran should be held accountable for supplying arms to insurgants in iraq. I howeaver disagree that austria or styer have accountability here . They did not sell to the insurgants , and remember thier national intrest and national trade do not mirror ours. IMHO it was a legetamate sale and iran then injected them into our theater of operations . Both styer and Austria could reasonabley belive that iran wanted them for domestic millitary use ( granted most likely against us if and when we invade there ) which would be an entirely valid sale.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Some of the more powerful Improvised Explosive Devices are U.S. Military unexploded ordinance, found by villagers and sold or donated to who ever will trade for food, placed in a car, pushed or driven to a street location and detonated, killing whoever is close. War is an awful expirience, and there is no good way to prosecute a war and treat participants fairly. What standard to follow?
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    They did not sell to the insurgents , and remember their national interest and national trade do not mirror ours. IMHO it was a legitimate sale and Iran then injected them into our theater of operations . Both Steyr and Austria could reasonably believe that Iran wanted them for domestic military use ( granted most likely against us if and when we invade there ) which would be an entirely valid sale.
    That may well be, but the USAs interests are what we have to deal with. Our 'friends or allies', selling weapons to our enemies should have some consequences.

As has been said in the past.."You're either with us or against us."....I don't think Austria should be playing both sides.

The same goes for Russia & China as well. If you want to do business with our enemies....fine.....we won't do business with you & we should take our money elsewhere.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    When will Washington be with us? There's a lot of our weapons in Iraq that are in Iraq stores... for sale. M16's can be bought on the open market in Iraq easily and who knows what else... all stolen from the U.S. government who has no idea what accountability is.

Sponsored Links