Mexican Assassins Invade Texas

This is a discussion on Mexican Assassins Invade Texas within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Feb. 20, 2005, 5:06PM Report: Mexican assassins invading Texas Associated Press DALLAS*-- At least three drug-related slayings in North Texas are being blamed on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Assassins Invade Texas

Feb. 20, 2005, 5:06PM
    Report: Mexican assassins invading Texas
    Associated Press

DALLAS*-- At least three drug-related slayings in North Texas are being blamed on a team of rogue Mexican commandos accused of orchestrating dozens of murders along the U.S.-Mexico border, raising fears that the drug war is moving north.

Dallas and federal officials say eight to 10 Zetas -- former members of the Mexican army who defected to Mexico's Gulf drug cartel in the late 1990s -- have been operating in North Texas since 2003, The Dallas Morning News reported today.

The Zetas are accused of fatally shooting 26-year-old Christian Alejandro Meza in December. Authorities also believe they were involved in the deaths of Mathew Frank Geisler and Brandon Gallegos, both 19 and from Laredo, whose bodies were found in a burning sport utility vehicle in September. Both had been shot.

"We're seeing an alarming number of incidents involving the same type of violence that's become all too common in Mexico, right here in Dallas," a former Dallas narcotics officer told the newspaper on condition of anonymity. "We're seeing execution-style murders, burned bodies and outright mayhem.

"It's like the battles being waged in Mexico for turf have reached Dallas."

Johnny Santana, a criminal investigator for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, said law enforcement officials consider the Zetas a growing threat to U.S. cities. He said the department is investigating several cases with suspected ties to the group.

"We still don't have those links yet, but the telltale signs are there, and they point to the Zetas," Santana said.

The Zetas, who are accused of carrying out killings and acting as drug couriers for the cartel, are regarded by U.S. law enforcement officials as expert assassins who are especially worrisome because of their elite military training.

Their presence in Texas represents a sharp departure from standard practice for Mexican cartels, which have kept a low profile on American soil. The Zetas also are extending their reach into Houston and San Antonio, blending into burgeoning Mexican immigrant communities, state and federal officials said.

Law enforcement officials say North Texas has become an important hub of drug activity, with an estimated $10 million in drug transactions taking place every day. The officials say easy access to the area via Interstate 35, the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and many other smaller airports is to blame.

Mexican authorities have downplayed the threat posed by the Zetas, saying a major government crackdown has left them leaderless and on the run.

Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos, Mexico's deputy attorney general for organized crime, said many of the crimes attributed to the Zetas probably have been committed by outsiders emulating their tactics.

"There are many Zeta wannabes," he said.

But Arturo Fontes, a Laredo-based FBI special investigator for border violence, balked at that claim.

"These guys are anything but wannabes. They're the real thing, and they're a threat to law enforcement officers on both sides of the border," he said.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thats what happens when you have a border like ours.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Red face

Holy cow, I live in North Texas, and I hadn't seen or heard that one....geesh, I don't consider myself a hermit, I mean I do listen to the news everyday. They did stop a railroad car full of illegals yesterday, but haven't heard about any commandos! I still think it'd be a good idea to just make our entire border with Mexico a frickin military base, complete with artillery and bomb ranges along the entire Rio Grande....yahoo!

That is scarey as hell! I have been following Texas for some time now and I think Texas is more like New Jersey every day. People don't like guns down there, the anti-gunners try and sneak anti-gun bills through. More and more its changing and not for the good as we like our freedom I am afraid. It was a state that represented our last outpost of freedom, actively guard what you got. The bad guys coming up from Mexico will impact the schools sooner or later, lets hope they get shut down.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Crazy, Might be hard to locate those individuals among all the illegal workers.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    That is scarey as hell! I have been following Texas for some time now and I think Texas is more like New Jersey every day. People don't like guns down there,the anti-gunners try and sneak anti-gun bills through. More and more its changing and not for the good as we like our freedom I am afraid. It was a state that represented our last outpost of freedom, actively guard what you got. The bad guys coming up from Mexico will impact the schools sooner or later, lets hope they get shut down
    Uhm, is there another Texas somewhere that I don't know about? Maybe you've only been keeping up with Austin which is a hellhole(to put it nicely)but the rest of the state is very pro-gun. Everywhere has it's liberal nutjobs, including Texas but the population is majority conservatives who care about this country.

I understand what you are saying about liberals trying to restrict our rights more and more, but we are NOWHERE NEAR being like New Jersey.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

S.O. Interceptor-(Laughing) Well maybe my comparison about gun control efforts was a little harsh. You would be surprised at the number of people in Texas who don't think carring a gun is a good thing. We all think its just fine because we practice and are safe with them. Example, I was dealing with a group sometime ago on business in Texas and mentioned to the guy, gee you guys are lucky to be able to carry down there, he didn't feel it was a good idea to have someone in the next car carrying a gun. I don't think in Texas a large percentage of people carry, what it is it maybe 1 to 2 percent??? Based upon my friends down there that have guns I thought it would be much higher.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    S.O. Interceptor-(Laughing) Well maybe my comparison about gun control efforts was a little harsh. You would be surprised at the number of people in Texas who don't think carring a gun is a good thing. We all think its just fine because we practice and are safe with them. Example, I was dealing with a group sometime ago on business in Texas and mentioned to the guy, gee you guys are lucky to be able to carry down there, he didn't feel it was a good idea to have someone in the next car carrying a gun. I don't think in Texas a large percentage of people carry, what it is it maybe 1 to 2 percent??? Based upon my friends down there that have guns I thought it would be much higher.
    Hate to stray off subject but Forty-Five raised my curiosity. Texas has a population of about 23 million. As of Feb 2005, there are only 237,121 active CCW permits....that's just a tad over 1%. I happen to be 1 of the 54 in my zip code, and 1 of about 1700 in my county. Houston area has about 34,000; Dallas area about 20,000 and Ft. Worth area about 17,000. I'd have expected Texas to be somewhere near 30%. That's amazing. Guess while I was in the military, all the pacifists, and anti-gunners moved in....they certainly couldn't be born-Texans! LOL.

Hi Prospector, I am sorry if I have offended any good folks from Texas. I attempted to make a point and didn't do it well. I seen a short list of states and their % of people that had ccw and I believe it was Idaho with 5 % the rest of the states tapered off fast with many down to the 1 % area. Here where I live the county has about 3,000,000 people and 1200 ccw. Of the 1200 I don't know how many are LEO.
    I like you thought that especially Texas would be up there, I also thought Fla would outnumber us all but not so. Take care, I liked driving through west Texas with the wind blowing like crazy!!!!
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Red face

Forty-Five, there was absolutely nothing in your post that would ever come close to offending anyone down here. I knew we had a low number of permits, but boy I was flabbergasted when I looked it up on the State's website. I also noted that there are currently 1482 CCW instructors here. The zip code breakout was kinda funny....there were gobs of them with only 1 permit holder. With all the gun shows down here every month, I really surprised that carrying hasn't gained much ground. Kinda sad in a way.

DC Founder
    The Texas I was born and raised in and lived in for the first 35 years of my life wouldn't have let this crap fly in the first place. At least they wouldn't have in the first 25 years there. About 10 years before I left, the whole state was inundated by people from the northeast (no offense to you that are from the NE) of whom many of them were extremely liberal. It got so bad that the Governor of Texas was placing billboards on highways encouraging people to visit but not stay. They of course didn't listen. In my opinion, they, and their liberal ideas ruined Texas.

Here in Arizona it's the same story all over again. When the defense plants in California (no offense to those of you that are from California) started laying off people, they came to Arizona and stayed along with many of the winter visitors (snowbirds) and have over time changed Arizona into something it wasn't before. Seems like more and more, we pass laws here because "that's what California did."
    Well, I've quoted myself from another forum post, which applies here. I think S.O. Interceptor is right that the majority of Texas is actually pro gun, but a LOT of the city folks (the loud ones) are not. I believe that the "watering down" of Texas began by the northeasterners migrating into the state. My brothers are still there and they complain about it still.

This was also the first time I had heard about these guys invading N. Texas, some of you might be equaslly surprised of Mexican military (in uniform) have on a number of occasions been spotted on our side of the border both on foot and in vehicles, with automatic weapons and have even gone so far as to fire on our police and border patrol. This is a REAL problem and one that is growing in all of the border states. There needs to be an effort to catch these guys and deal with them harshly. The government, has ignored this problem putting law enforcement officers at risk.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

It is long past time we "militarize" the southern border.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I believe that the "watering down" of Texas began by the northeasterners migrating into the state.
    Amen!! Time we kicked them penny loafer wearing sumbucks out of our state tonsarn it.

And you didn't offend me, I was simply clearing up what might be a misconception. A lot of people don't have a CHL, but a WHOLE LOT of people here, a vast majority, have firearms and wouldn't relinquish them. That percentage is very high compared to most places. And an even higher number than the percentage, is the actual number of gun owners. It may not be a huge percent, but it's a high number.

I think part of the problem is the cost and time involved in getting a CHL. To those of us who take these things as a serious part of our lives, the time and money isn't really a factor. But to a lot of people, $100+ and 12 hours of classroom, plus $140 more for the actual application, and then a 90 day wait is a lot. I think if it was only a matter of going to the class and then the local S.O./P.D./DPS station and having your background and fingerprints run, and then being approved, then there would be a lot more of them.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

My wife and I were born and raised in Florida. I've spent time out west with the army but had never been to Texas until we picked up the Newfoundland pup in Blanco three years ago. We fell in love with Texas!!! Loved the people (not Houston traffic, worse than Miami) and are making plans to retire there. We're thinking of maybe the Plano area. Want something that's not about to be swallowed up by a metroplois and is pro gun and heavily Christian and conservative (guess that lets out Austin, huh?) and has a short summer season. We LIKE the cold. Me being a history teacher is a bonus, but we both like the rich history of the Lone Star Republic. Can somebody rattle off a few areas we might like to try? We'd like to go out and maybe rent a cabin or stay for a holiday in the area (need something PUP friendly---kids ALWAYS travel with us) during different seasons of the year. Would like good range facilities and an IDPA shooting club in the area. We'll be building a home, so only land costs rather than housing is an issue. Any Texans out there with some answers?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Red face

ExSoldier762 - Plano is a nice area and affluent, but personally, it's a bit too close-in to the Dallas megaplex. The whole area north of Dallas has been booming for years, and some of the realtors talk about the "race to the Red River"....lots of nice towns spread all the way up. Obviously, land prices have risen to meet the occasion, but there's plenty available. I know there are many indoor ranges in the Dallas area, but I've never used them. I go to one that is just east of McKinney, on HWY 380. It's an outdoor facility with three ranges: Rifle, Pistol, and Tactical. They are only open Mon thru Sat from 1100 to 1700. Seems with the area growth, people started complaining of the noise so the City levied some constraints on em. Good people though and I've enjoyed using it. There is an IPDA chapter that uses that range quite a lot, but I haven't checked into that yet. You can probably find a link to them on the web. Lots of nice lakes in the area, and Lake Texoma is one where you can probably find cabins to rent. As far a cold weather, I've still got my snowblower from my Indiana days....prepared for the day that "Blizzard" hits Texas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links