Swat training at my son's school

This is a discussion on Swat training at my son's school within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 16 year old son came home the other day and told me that his High School is going to be used as the training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swat training at my son's school

Swat training at my son's school

My 16 year old son came home the other day and told me that his High School is going to be used as the training arena for the Shelby County Sheriffs Dept. to train on possible school shooting scenarios.

He tells me the training will be held Monday since the kids are out of school for Presidents day. They are apparently several people to act as the shooters and they will be running scenarios all day.

Frankly, I am happy they are doing this and especially happy they are doing it at my kids school. If, God forbid, there ever is a situation at his school they will already have had some experience training at this very school.

Just wondering what others would think or feel about this same type of thing if their son or daughter came home and told them this was being done at their school?

I'm not sure this actually belongs in this section so moderators please, if you think it belongs somewhere else, by all means move it there. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad your son's school has agreed to let local LE do this. You may be surprised how many school administrators refuse to do so.

Since Mayberry, RFD hardly has a police department, let alone a SWAT team, I would wonder where these guys came from?? But if I lived in a larger city, I would be happy that they are training at that exact school and I would pray they never need to use that training.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    We do that often, just had one a few Sundays ago. Its the only way to get everyone familiar with the layout of the school.
    Is your son going to be a role player? If not, try to get him to do it. Its lots of fun for them, and the kids will learn something too.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 18th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My daughter's Junior H.S. just went through the same thing last month. Sheriffs, Fire/EMT, and SWAT all combined for a practice disaster session.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Nope, my son is not going to be one of the actors. I don't know that they even asked for volunteers from the student body. I suspect that if they had, he would have done it. He is the type of kid that would gladly do that if he thought it would help them with their training and he could have some fun with it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    I have moved this to Law Enforcement Mike - maybe a shade more suitable.

I like the idea - if only because a local department should have prior knowledge of layout etc if it came to actually being needed. Planning - something we all take on board and no reason why a school should not do the same.

We could say - ''Better to have a plan and not need it ........"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I think the SWAT team having first hand knowledge of the school layout and train in the building is good for everyone. safer for them, less chance of missing a hidden shooter while clearing the building.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Government funded building...
    Government funded agents...
    Government funded activities...

I see nothing wrong with it... (except for "Government" of course).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think the SWAT team having first hand knowledge of the school layout and train in the building is good for everyone. safer for them, less chance of missing a hidden shooter while clearing the building.
    It is... its a nightmare to clear a school when you know whats around the corner. Toss in the stress and emotion of a real event, kids running around everywhere and its a real mess. I want every advantage if and when I ever have to respond to something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    ... his High School is going to be used as the training arena for the Shelby County Sheriffs Dept. to train on possible school shooting scenarios.

Just wondering what others would think or feel about this same type of thing if their son or daughter came home and told them this was being done at their school?
    Absolutely, this is a great idea. I'd feel good about it. The alternative is simple: reduced preparedness on the part of law enforcement. In any situation, I can't see how that would be a good thing. And with the training occurring at the specific school where my children are attending? Absolutely a good thing. They'll know it by heart.

Though, of course, there will be parents with a quick reaction, thinking "OMG! The children! My sensibilities! No more violence!!!" When, in reality, this sort of training can't help but improve our ability to respond to murderers in public venues like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad to know they're training for it!

The other side of that equation is that the school needs to develop an active shooter response plan; much like a fire-drill.

VIP Member
    It's a good idea. They've done it here at least once. They don't let the kids participate even if they volunteer. They say it's too emotional even when the kids know it's not real. They find adult actors/players to participate.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'll be doing the same thing on Tuesday. A local HS is on winter recess so we will be doing active shooter training. I wish that the school would let us use simunitions (paint guns that operate just like our service Glocks) for the training. But it is a little messy so we will have to do without.

As mentioned it is very helpful to know the layout of the school. I have been there often for various calls so I am pretty comfortable there.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links