Auxiliary Deputy Charged With Manslaughter

This is a discussion on Auxiliary Deputy Charged With Manslaughter within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Video: White septuagenarian 'pay to play' cop shoots dead unarmed black suspect - Telegraph This is the lead story on tonight's CBS news....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: Auxiliary Deputy Charged With Manslaughter

VIP Member

Auxiliary Deputy Charged With Manslaughter

"For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    What's a 73-year-old doing getting involved in this? Here in FL they just drive through store fronts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Certainly doesn't look good for the shooter.
    Richard58 and Katana1 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Most LEO that I have seen carry their Taser for an off-hand draw- right hand firearm (good hand), left hand Taser (dumb hand).

Not sure what to say about the "pay to play" situation.
    willhsteele likes this.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    My question is what is a 73 year old still doing as a reserve cop and on the beat? Are they hurting for help this bad? I'd seriously question the abilities of a 73 year old to operate a motor vehicle much less any more lethal options. How to mistake a pistol grip from a taser is why most PDs keep them on separate sides on their duty belts. I've just about had it with stupid.
    Richard58 and Katana1 like this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    My question is what is a 73 year old still doing as a reserve cop and on the beat? Are they hurting for help this bad? I'd seriously question the abilities of a 73 year old to operate a motor vehicle much less any more lethal options. How to mistake a pistol grip from a taser is why most PDs keep them on separate sides on their duty belts. I've just about had it with stupid.
    The story tells that the deputy and the sheriff have been buds for fifty years, and that the department has seventy auxiliary officers.
    Richard58 and Phaedrus like this.
    "For someone who is nearly as smart as I am, how can you be so wrong about this?"

VIP Member
    Oh man, this is bad. I just saw the video.

You can hear him say "I'm sorry".
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Oh man, this is bad. I just saw the video.

You can hear him say "I'm sorry".
    More sorrow to follow. This is horribly sad stuff we have been receiving what seems to be a steady diet of lately.

VIP Member
    Not a good time to be a police officer if your good or bad at it . Too many stories and possibly not enough training .
    Richard58, mkh and Badey like this.
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Lest we all get up a head of steam about this, my first point is that remember, the liberal media and the family's attorney are driving this. The second point is that this Reserve officer has been a Reserve for a long time, was a full-time officer for a year (albeit a long time ago) and he has met all the annual training requirements for the state of Oklahoma.

This is cut/pasted from an AP article on Police One:
    Oklahoma law defines culpable negligence as "the omission to do something which a reasonably careful person would do, or the lack of the usual ordinary care and caution in the performance of an act usually and ordinarily exercised by a person under similar circumstances and conditions," Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said in a statement.

A telephone message left Monday with Bates' attorney, Scott Woods, was not immediately returned.

Tulsa Police Sgt. Jim Clark, who investigated the shooting as an independent consultant at the request of the sheriff's office, concluded that Bates had been so engrossed in the stress of the moment that he did not think clearly about what he had in his hand.

The use of reserve officers is commonplace across Oklahoma and much of the nation. Cities and counties often turn to them for extra manpower because of a lack of resources and tight budgets. They are sometimes used to free up regular officers to concentrate on high-priority duties.

Reserve deputies are permitted to carry firearms but have far less training than regular officers.

About 4,000 reserve officers are active in Oklahoma, according to the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training. Most are unpaid and volunteer simply out of a sense of civic duty, said council Director Steve Emmons.

While there's no current official tally, an article in the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin in 2006 estimated the national total of reserve officers at 400,000.

In Oklahoma, reservists are required to complete 240 hours of basic training on subjects like civil and criminal law, traffic enforcement, investigations, firearms and defensive tactics. There is no age requirement, but all reserve officers must annually recertify with a minimum score on a firearms-training course.

"A lot of agencies, especially the smaller agencies in the state, have only one full-time officer on their staff," Emmons said.

Tulsa County, the state's second largest, has about 130 reservists who receive a minimum of 320 hours of training.

Bates, who was briefly a full-time officer with the Tulsa Police Department from 1964 to 1965, is now an insurance executive who updates his certification every year and has completed more than the state-required hours, said Tulsa County sheriff's spokesman Shannon Clark.

Bates was acting in a support role during the April 2 sting operation and does not typically confront suspects, Clark said.

Tulsa County Sheriff Stanley Glanz has described Bates as a personal friend, and records show he has been a generous donor to the department since he became a reserve deputy in 2008.

Besides a $2,500 donation to Glanz's re-election campaign in 2012, records released on Monday by the sheriff's office show Bates donated five vehicles, including a new Dodge Charger, a computer and forensic camera and a hand-held radio to the department from 2009 to 2011.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press
    msgt/ret, baren, mkh and 2 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Lest we all get up a head of steam about this, my first point is that remember, the liberal media and the family's attorney are driving this. The second point is that this Reserve officer has been a Reserve for a long time, was a full-time officer for a year (albeit a long time ago) and he has met all the annual training requirements for the state of Oklahoma.

With all due respect, theres no "liberal media" slant to this. It was a man who accidentally killed a guy who was being arrested. Cops are messing up CONSTANTLY and people are dying because of it. Theres absolutely no excuse. Im not talking about the justified shootings in Missouri, or any scenario like that, but just this past week or two the three scenarios of the cops beating the crap out of the guy on the horse chase, this case, and the video of the cop shooting an unarmed fleeing man in the back over a traffic light stop.

This stuff HAS to stop. Theres no liberal spin at all. As a country, we are tired of this. These criminals with badges need to be held accountable. Luckily, Ive only had smooth interactions with police, but who is to say it will always be that way? This needs to stop now.
    Phaedrus, Oldpsufan, mkh and 5 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post

There are times to lose the slant and just call a spade a spade. This strikes me as one of those times.

VIP Member
    It's terrible that something like this happened. I feel sorry for both families. I know the guy was getting arrested but did not deserve to get shot and the old gentleman, it seems, had no intention of shooting. Just terrible all the way around.
    Phaedrus, mkh and oneshot like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

i think we shouldnt run from the police.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Distinguished Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    This is a terrible thing, but wouldn't you think people would start to get the message "Don't run from the cops"?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links