Toledo Detective Killed in Line of Duty

This is a discussion on Toledo Detective Killed in Line of Duty within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/302210027 TOLEDO – A police officer was shot and killed early today, and officers were searching for a suspect believed to be the gunman, Chief ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toledo Detective Killed in Line of Duty

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/302210027

TOLEDO – A police officer was shot and killed early today, and officers were searching for a suspect believed to be the gunman, Chief Mike Navarre said.

Det. Keith Dressel, 35, was shot while patrolling the city’s north side with two other detectives around 2 a.m., Navarre said at a news conference.

When the detectives stopped their car to question two young people who looked suspicious, the pair started to run, Navarre said. One of them, a 19-year-old, was apprehended immediately, while Dressel pursued the other.

“There was an exchange of gunfire. We know that Detective Dressel did fire his weapon. We do not know if the suspect was hit with any of those shots that were fired,” Navarre told reporters.

Dressel was hit one time in the chest, the chief said, and was taken to St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center where he was pronounced dead just after 2:30 a.m.

Officers were searching for a 15-year-old suspect and had looked in a number of houses, following up on leads, Navarre said.

Dressel joined the force in 1993 and was assigned to the vice and narcotics bureau. He was the first Toledo officer to die in the line of duty since 1970, Navarre said.

“It is truly a very sad day for the Toledo police department and for the city of Toledo,” the chief said.
    I don't live in or near Toledo, but this story is in all the Ohio news sources I have looked at. I hope they catch the 15 year old, and that he gets tried like an adult. Hopefully our new governor willdecide he likes the death penalty too, this is just the type of situation it was made for.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Tragic - but where was his vest? He cannot have had any protection.

It's time murderers were treated as murderers - and to heck with any age factors. Kids? No longer kids when killers and they deserve the full impact of the law.

Once again - we see the risks of traffic stops
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Thoughts and prayers to the Family and friends.

+1 on Chris' thoughts.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

AS p95 said "where was his vest". This should have never happened. These thugs are getting younger but they are just as deadly. When they kill they should be treated as an adult.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=248219

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A detective was shot and killed early today while chasing a 15-year-old boy who police say was apparently involved in a drug deal.

A few hours later, the boy surrendered to police at a duplex where he had been hiding. Police spokeswoman Diana Ruiz-Krause said the arrest was made without incident.

The boy was being questioned by police.
    Well, they caught the 15 year old. Invovled in a drug deal at 15? I'll bet his mom will be on TV talkin about what a sweet boy he is. Hopefully justice will be served in this case.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    Hope they catch teh 15 yr old AND try him as an adult.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Detectives are generally in regular clothes, its very uncomfortable to wear a vest with a shirt that was not made for it. My guess is that his vest was hanging up in his locker.

We need to bring back the public hanging.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 21st, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: changed cloths to clothes
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Detectives are generally in regular cloths, its very uncomfortable to wear a vest with a shirt that was not made for it. My guess is that his vest was hanging up in his locker.

We need to bring back the public hanging.
    Sounds about right .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Condolences and prayers for comfort and strength for the detective's family and friends, and hopes for swift justice for his killer.

Rest in peace, Detective Dressel.

RIP officer...

prayers go for his family

I Too Hope They Catch The 15 Year Old...

and execute him as an adult...

Condolences to the officers friends and family...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I say try him as a juvenile. I believe juveniles should be executed for murdering on-duty LEOs.

As a retired PSP Detective, I never was on the job without my vest. There is a possibility that Det. Dressler had his on too but the bullet may have entered in the wrong place. I am saddened to hear about Det. Dressler and my heart goes out for his family. May God have mercy on his soul.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...223-B2-04.html

TOLEDO (AP) — Prosecutors want a 15-year-old accused of shooting and killing a police officer to stand trial as an adult.

Robert Jobe was charged with aggravated murder yesterday and made his first appearance in juvenile court.

He is accused of shooting detective Keith Dressel, 35, during a brief chase early Wednesday in a neighborhood plagued by drugs and violence.

Dressel and two other officers were on patrol when they saw Jobe and a 19-year-old on a sidewalk involved in what might have been a drug deal, Police Chief Mike Navarre said.

The pair took off running, and Dressel chased down Jobe and grabbed him, Navarre said. Jobe then fired one shot into Dressel’s chest at close range, the chief said.

Dressel was pronounced dead about 40 minutes after the shooting.

Lucas County Prosecutor Julia Bates said she will ask a judge to try Jobe as an adult.

Dressel, 35, was the first Toledo officer to die in the line of duty since 1970, when a patrolman was shot and killed during a race riot.

Dressel joined the force in 1993 and was assigned to the vice and narcotics bureau. He was honored in 1998 after he and another officer saved a man from a burning home.

He is survived by his wife and two children, ages 6 and 4.
    THey are trying to get him tried as an adult. Aggravated murder as an adult would mean that he might never breathe free air again if they can get it (keeping my fingers crossed). This article is the first I have seen that mentioned he has two young kids, what a shame their dad got killed by some drug dealing thug.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 747Sonny View Post
    As a retired PSP Detective, I never was on the job without my vest. There is a possibility that Det. Dressler had his on too but the bullet may have entered in the wrong place. I am saddened to hear about Det. Dressler and my heart goes out for his family. May God have mercy on his soul.
    Good point, that is also very likely. Remember folks, just because he might of had a vest on, does not mean he is safe. Even if the vest caught the bullet, there still is a whole boat load of blunt force that is going into the chest... its a lot less, but still enough to kill.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links