'Blair Plans to Overhaul U.K.'s Gun Laws'

This is a discussion on 'Blair Plans to Overhaul U.K.'s Gun Laws' within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets see, guns have been banned, they're working on banning knives & dirty looks.......what could possibly be left to 'overhaul'? http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...,3680895.story British Prime Minister Tony ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Blair Plans to Overhaul U.K.'s Gun Laws'

VIP Member

'Blair Plans to Overhaul U.K.'s Gun Laws'

Lets see, guns have been banned, they're working on banning knives & dirty looks.......what could possibly be left to 'overhaul'?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...,3680895.story
    British Prime Minister Tony Blair announced plans Sunday to overhaul gun laws after three teenage boys were shot dead in south London this month, prompting a national debate about guns and gangs among youths.

The age at which the mandatory five-year sentence for carrying a gun can be imposed should be reduced to 17 from 21, Blair said in an interview with British Broadcasting Corp. television. Blair ordered the gun law review to help police deal with Britain's inner-city gang culture.

Blair said he was also considering other proposals put forward by the Home Office and the Metropolitan Police including giving police new powers to monitor the homes of people suspected of possessing and using firearms.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Blair said he was also considering other proposals put forward by the Home Office and the Metropolitan Police including giving police new powers to monitor the homes of people suspected of possessing and using firearms
    1984, here we come...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Why am I thinking '' to hell in a handbasket''??!!

Sure punish any and all armed thugs of whatever age but - free up the choices for the law abiding folks ......... who are all but rendered impotent these days.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1984 came along a while back in the UK, probably sometime in the early '90s is I recall correctly.
    This move is just another step to placate the uber-sheep, of which British society is now mainly composed of. Due to ever decreasing family values in the lower levels of that society they now have a situation where kids who were barely parented at all are running feral through the cities like drugged up gangsters.
    Guns have a part of the equation for at least the past 20 years, ban notwithstanding. Manchester, a northern city famous for music and little else was termed 'Gunchester' in the mid '80s due to the gun crime surrounding the drug scene. The difference now is the scale of the problem has grown and after three shootings last week Blair 'must' be seen to do something.

Yes, 60+ million people and three idiots shoot three other idiots over something as banal as who is allowed to stand on which corner selling cocaine, and it turns into a further erosion of civil liberties for anyone 'suspected' of being involved.

There was a discussion board about it on a British news website last week, I kept civil with my remarks but I did mention that these things would happen a lot less if Brits had concealed carry weapons.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    "Anyone suspected of owning or using these firearms"

Wow. Just.... wow. Can't we just send Sarah Brady and their whole gang over there and let them live in their little "dream world."
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    There was a discussion board about it on a British news website last week, I kept civil with my remarks but I did mention that these things would happen a lot less if Brits had concealed carry weapons.
    So what was the reply from others on the board.

Sounds like you are now officially one of those "Darn Americans" in the eyes of your ex countrymen?

I hope that is taken as the compliment it was meant to be.

As Chris said, a Handbasket come to the forefront of imigary
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I didn't look back to read the predictable responses, I did identify myself as an ex-Brit. And yes, in my experience people over there are sufficiently jealous that I made the move to be rude to me about it, I lost a few old friends when I came over here and became a citizen.

Oh well.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    0.02:

I'd quote your whole statement. I could not have stated it better.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I like Blair but he has his head up his butt when it comes to gun control. Another gun law is just what they need. Next they will have neighbors spying on each other and neighbors turning each other in. It sounds like their rights just went down the toilet.

Assistant Administrator
    It sounds like their rights just went down the toilet
    No Tom not just - ''rights'', if we can even call them that (privelages would be better) started taking a nose dive back in the earlier 90's. By time 1997 arrived and I lost all my handguns, things were really ''takin off''.

I left in 2000 and the rot has continued Frankly - nothing short of a revolution will save the day now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My question is "Overhaul what?" It's already illegal. Passing additional laws would make it "more" illegal, I guess, for whatever good that is. What can he do, put metal detectors at everyones' house doors so they can be scanned every time they step out of their houses?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

They want to lower the age of responsibility as the majority of the shootings there presently are done by juveniles.
    That is the overhaul.

Blair isn't 1/2 the man Margeret Thatcher was!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

...what could possibly be left to 'overhaul'?
    A full dismantling is normally associated with a complete overhaul. Rightly so, in this case, 'cause everything that has been tried has failed to work. Innocents are still getting assaulted and killed, only now they aren't able to protect themselves. Got to love a criminal-loving bureaucracy for their deep compassion and concern, even if misplaced. Poor souls.

"Anyone suspected of ..."
    That about says it. Kiss it all goodbye.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry you lost your guns. I don't blame you for leaving the UK. It's hard to believe this could happen here. With the likes of Clinton and Kennedy in office this could happen if we don't keep on top of it.
    Last edited by Tom G; February 22nd, 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links