Personal Longarms?

Personal Longarms?

This is a discussion on Personal Longarms? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that with some agencies LEOs can carry privately bought handguns on approval. Is this ever done with long arms? Thank you....

Personal Longarms?

I know that with some agencies LEOs can carry privately bought handguns on approval. Is this ever done with long arms? Thank you.

Just saw a "Weaponology" program on the Military Channel. It was the "Rapid Fire" episode. One of the sections featured a sheriff who chose a Thompson SMG as his duty long arm. He made the comments that since he was sheriff, he could choose whatever he wanted -- AR15, AK47, etc. -- and he preferred the Thompson to any of them. I suppose it's good to be the guy in charge.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Maricopa County Sheriffs Deputies are allowed to carry a personal AR or Shotgun with them in their patrol vehicles. Their sidearm is their personal Glock.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Short answer is YES. Howeaver realise that it is more likely to happen in a smaller agency wth less budget than it is in a larger agency with more budget and more administration staff.

Edited to add:
    My last dept had a thompson , and while i did use it , it was only to give the deputys first chance at better arms . It would not be my first choice as an officer, tho it was a fantastic " PR" piece , every time it came out of the trunk an officer from another agency or a citizen wanted to see it. Eventualy i scratched up a fairly cheep tanker garand .308 conversion and it became the trunk gun for me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    In addition to what PackerfanXD mentioned, just north in Yavapai they have a similar policy. It was approved not long ago IIRC. They may buy their own and keep them in their cruiser. As well, YCSO also pushes Glocks.... I know how strongly opinions are so I'll avoid that one.... but does anyone know WHY all the departments push Glocks (other than cost, idiot-proof, etc). Does Glock have a deal with LEO Agencies or something?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glocks are cheap , robust , about as idiot proof as an auto can be overall. Also there is a lot to be said for haveing a single manual of arms when it comes to training and safety on and off the range. While not my choice they are not a bad one for arming a divirse group many of who never even held a pistol before the acadomy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

my dad is LEO in CO - his dept carry their own carbines....

I know cause I had to ship him out an M-1 Carbine...

kinda old school but Dad will never see 60 again either

a lot like the 1911 (if it ain't broke...)

Quick answer, depends on the agency.

Mine, handgun yes. but can use dept. issue. no 1911's
    Long arm no shotgun no, agency issued.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    ...unfortunately, not us feds.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    My Sheriff Dept. allows it.

Issued carry is the Glock 21. I choose to carry my own personal Sig220.

The issued long arm is a Reminton 870. Although the Lieutenants of each shift are issued M-16's, many deputies (me too)choose to carry their own personal AR-15's.

Basically you can carry whatever you want as long as you qualify with it and the Sheriff approves it.

Does Glock have a deal with LEO Agencies or something?
    Glock captured the lions share of the market because they attacked the Police market like no other manufacturer. They offered volume discounts,reduced prices on magazines and parts and they are willing to deal....bidding consisitently lower than other manufacturers.

And it worked too. Look how popular they are with the Police as well as the civilian market.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links