Ohio Soldier dies a year after being wounded

This is a discussion on Ohio Soldier dies a year after being wounded within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...003/1056/COL02 DAYTON, Ohio - A soldier shot in the head while serving in Iraq lingered in a coma for nearly a year before his twin ...

Thread: Ohio Soldier dies a year after being wounded

Ohio Soldier dies a year after being wounded

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...003/1056/COL02

DAYTON, Ohio - A soldier shot in the head while serving in Iraq lingered in a coma for nearly a year before his twin brother made the decision to disconnect his feeding tube earlier this month.

Army Spc. Ethan Biggers, 22, a native of suburban Beavercreek, died Saturday in an Indianapolis hospital 11 days after his feedings were stopped. The decision fell to his brother, Matt, following the death of their father, Rand, who initially made medical decisions for his son, in a car accident last July.

Ethan Biggers, a radio operator, was on his second tour of duty in Iraq when a sniper shot him on March 5, 2006. The bullet entered above his left ear and exited above his right, resulting in a traumatic brain injury.

'It is the worst kind of injury you can suffer, a brain injury,'' said Matt Biggers, who joined the Army with his twin straight out of high school and completed two tours of duty in Iraq. ''A bullet going through the head ... you don't recover from that.''

Through his treatment at a handful of Veterans Affairs and military hospitals, Biggers' family kept hoping to see positive signs. An occasional eye movement or facial expression would give them hope, but never led to the kind of recognition and progress that doctors said would indicate a recovery was possible.

''You can't fix what's not there,'' Matt Biggers said. ''He'd never be the same and he'd never live a full life.''

At the time of his injury, Ethan Biggers and his then-fiancee, Britni Fuller, were expecting their first child. Shortly after his injury, the couple married with the help of a firm that conducted the ceremony by proxy. A few months later, Fuller gave birth to a son, Eben.

After Biggers' father died, the responsibility for his medical care fell to Fuller, but Matt Biggers assumed medical guardianship after she told him she couldn't make the decision whether to discontinue the life-preserving treatments. In early February, as the anniversary of Ethan Biggers' injury approached, Matt Biggers made the decision to disconnect the feeding tube.

It was a decision other family members - including his mother and stepmother - disagreed with.

''This is something Matt feels very strongly about, and I believe for unselfish reasons,'' his sister, Liza Biggers, wrote in an online journal entry.

''If it were my decision, I would probably grant a little more time. Regardless, I will continue to support Matt. In the end it is his decision as he has medical guardianship of Ethan,'' she wrote.

His mother, Millie Biggers, felt her son could have recovered if he was brought home to the Dayton area and given hospice care.

''I believe in miracles. I believe in the power of prayer and I believe in the right to life,'' she said Thursday.

It was a difficult decision for Matt Biggers, who originally planned to have the feeding tube removed on March 5 - one year to the day after the sniper attack. But Ethan Biggers' health declined, and when he spiked a 104-degree fever on Feb. 13, his brother decided the time had come.

Biggers' family and two fellow servicemen held a somber ceremony five days later and pinned his Purple Heart on his chest. The family had put off the medal ceremony in the hopes Ethan Biggers would emerge from the coma.

He died in Indianapolis' Richard L. Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center 11 days after his feedings were stopped. Liza Biggers said that while the ordeal has tried her family, she thought that the doctors had done everything they could to help her brother.

''I feel like if God didn't give us a miracle, he gave us strength,'' she said.
    I don't know this family. They are from up around the Dayton area, but I saw this article and thought it was something that should be shared. This family has definately had a rough go of things in the past year. That had to be a real tough call for the brother, as well as the whole family. Too bad another child will never know his father. Say a prayer for them all if ya have time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    May God grant them peace.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Assistant Administrator
    Peace and strength to them all.

Much as I think miracles can occur, from my old medical knowledge this has to have been one of those cases where hope was exceeding nature's potential.

R.I.P. Army Spc. Ethan Biggers
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Another Sad Story...

Our troops and their families do not have an easy road to follow...

May this soldier Rest In Peace...may his family find strength and purpose for moving forward...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What a shame. I feel for his family.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Prayer sent.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Rest in Peace, Mighty Soldier!!! You will be remembered by all the hearts you touched.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Rest in peace, Soldier. Thank you for keeping us safe.
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

Links