To Catch A Predator

To Catch A Predator

This is a discussion on To Catch A Predator within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods: Not sure where this goes, but considering it involves Cops I Figured this would be a good start. So I just finished watching the ...

Thread: To Catch A Predator

To Catch A Predator

Mods: Not sure where this goes, but considering it involves Cops I Figured this would be a good start.

So I just finished watching the Dateline To Catch a Predator series this evening. Quite disturbing to say the least. Even more disturbing was that they nabbed a 15 year veteran police officer who had just returned to duty after being retired. Just goes to show there's twisted folks in all walks of life.

I was a bit concerned though, that they tried to perpetuate/push out so much fear and false information because they found firearms in the guys car after they arrested him. It was chocked full of gems like this: "He even had 30rnd clips with hollowpoint bullets also known as cop-killer bullets designed to penetrate bullet-proof vests".

I'm in no way trying to demean the work these folks are trying to do to get these twisted individuals off the streets, but continually misstating and misguiding information about firearms just does nothing but promote more fear and more ignorance. Quite frustrating tonight on all fronts! I suppose the good news at least is that they caught a bunch of pervs and locked em up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I've watched a couple of those shows and like them. You are right that they catch "all kinds". Sounds about right for the usual media and their general ignorance about anything firearm related. At least I hope it's ignorance and not deliberate mis-information.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    At least I hope it's ignorance and not deliberate mis-information.
    I'd hope that too but .......... I get real irked when this is so much the norm - it's like a broken record these days and so ''established'' I have little hope of a turn around toward actual accurate reporting

Every darned time this crap gets hyped up and spouted - it's (yet) another article that is misinforming Joe Public - and that all makes our quest that much harder.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I saw that tonight. I like the fact that child predators, regardless of who they are, are being locked up and prosecuted. Kudos to the LEO teaming w/ TV to catch the predators.

And yes, I saw the video. No, it's not a clip, it has a spring in it, so it is a magazine. And hollopoints expand to cease hostilities sooner then FMJ, not to penetrate armor.

On one hand, he was committing a felony (or attempting to commit one) and he had guns in his car. He should go down for his child predation AND doing this while being in possesion of firearms.

On the other hand, I just wish that dateline would not tie in mis-information about ammunition w/ the crime. If he had clips, magazines, JHP's or FMJ's, they were all bad because he was acting outside the law.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Ok, so non-expanding bullets that have better penetration are "cop killer" bullets.
    More expanding bullets like hollow points are "cop killers" too.
    The .50 BMG is armor piercing, incendiary, and heat seeking.
    7.62x39mm is pointy, piercing, and explodes. It's generally fired from a "Really big gun" (it even has a scope on it).
    Do I have this right?

Next up
    FMJ is evil because because it's a military bullet and too deadly for us regular folk to use.
    No cast lead "cowboy" bullets either. These will just lead to Dodge City shootouts in the streets.
    No plastic "stealth" bullets because they can get through a metal detector.
    Wadcutters are only for sniper pistols, nobody needs those.
    Did I miss any?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm in no way trying to demean the work these folks are trying to do to get these twisted individuals off the streets, but continually misstating and misguiding information about firearms just does nothing but promote more fear and more ignorance.
    Don't be confused: Dateline is about ratings. The well-being of anyone comes well after good numbers. Fear-mongering engenders repeat viewing- what isn't ignorance is intentionally mis-represented. I've been around too many reporters, hovering like vultures (one actually trying to get the sheet off a body for a good close-up), to believe in their altruism.

I've watched several of these shows and it amazes me how brazen these perverts are even after getting caught.

"So I just finished watching the Dateline To Catch a Predator series this evening. Quite disturbing to say the least. Even more disturbing was that they nabbed a 15 year veteran police officer who had just returned to duty after being retired. Just goes to show there's twisted folks in all walks of life."

That sting was run at Walters, OK. They got a preacher, a registered sex offender, a couple of Ft. Sill soldiers as well as the cop. The soldiers were charged in federal court.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "So I just finished watching the Dateline To Catch a Predator series this evening. Quite disturbing to say the least. Even more disturbing was that they nabbed a 15 year veteran police officer who had just returned to duty after being retired. Just goes to show there's twisted folks in all walks of life."

That sting was run at Walters, OK. They got a preacher, a registered sex offender, a couple of Ft. Sill soldiers as well as the cop. The soldiers were charged in federal court.
    Oklahoma? I don't think it was the same episode. THe one I watched was at a beach house on the east coast of Florida. One has to wonder though...how stupid one must be for some of these folks that apparently have been caught on multiple occassions by the same show! At what point does their tiny brain cells decide this is a good idea? Just another mystery of life I suppose.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Oklahoma? I don't think it was the same episode. THe one I watched was at a beach house on the east coast of Florida. One has to wonder though...how stupid one must be for some of these folks that apparently have been caught on multiple occassions by the same show! At what point does their tiny brain cells decide this is a good idea? Just another mystery of life I suppose.
    Their tiny brain cells need to understand that they are sick beyond cure and "off" themselves for the benefit of society. F'ing scumbags human filth.

Administrator
    Back to the original topic, this clearly was a misrepresentation of what was in this dudes car. They said he had the .38, but showed pictures of rifles, ammo etc along with a .38. They never said he had the rifle etc. in the car, but the pictures lead you to beLIEve thats what he had. All the pictures shown were very much staged for effect.

The Flager Beach A/O says he had a gun on him. Notice the question and answer with the blond lady never addresses specifics?
    Who is she anyway? Maybe they introduced her in a part of the show I did not see.

Here is a clip for those of who who did not see the show.

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11...citing_a_Minor

By the way, toss that guy in with all the other pervs in a general population prison, he'll get plenty of punishment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links