News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge - Page 2

News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge

This is a discussion on News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SixBravo I can understand arresting him for the grass and the excessive speed.... but all the weapons? I sounds like my friends ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I can understand arresting him for the grass and the excessive speed.... but all the weapons? I sounds like my friends and I when we go out shooting. Pack all our stuff in one car or truck and we follow that car out.
    That's not how the story details have been reported though 6B.
    I doubt you and your friends roll out to the range like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    ...Popper was a passenger in a Mercedes pulled over on Wednesday night for driving 111 miles per hour in eastern Washington state. The car was registered in Popper's name.

After troopers arrested Brian Gourgeois, the driver, for reckless driving, they detected the smell of marijuana and arrested the singer for drug possession.

Troopers searched the Mercedes sports utility vehicle and found weapons stashed in hidden compartments within the car. The state patrol recovered a total of 14 weapons including four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife.

"The sheer amount of weapons and the modifications to the vehicle are not something we see everyday," said Washington State Patrol spokesman Jeff Sevigney, who added that none of the guns were illegally acquired.

Popper is known to be a gun enthusiast and told troopers he was a collector of weapons...

...George Couri, a manager for Blues Traveler, said Popper was driving back to western Washington from Austin, Texas and likes to visit gun ranges during long car rides.

"All of the weapons he owns are registered and are transported safely in a legally approved, locked cabinet in his vehicle," Couri said in a statement.

The vehicle was equipped with flashing emergency lights, a siren and an external public address system. Troopers also found night vision goggles and a Taser inside the car.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Washington State Patrol said.

Popper and Gourgeois will be charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Popper could also face federal charges for possessing a vehicle with hidden compartments.

Source - http://www.reuters.com/article/peopl...9?pageNumber=2
    Most normal, average, and law abiding shooters/travellers know to store their weapons locked in cases as stowed within their vehicle, do not modify their vehicle to have weapons storage compartments (locakble or not), and don't smoke illegal drugs while driving at 111 mph. on public highways while enroute to the range. :(
    Dude doesn't have much in the way of an excuse and as a "collector" should have known better.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The weed and the pipe,and he didn't want to be left behind!...sheeesh

I may be wrong but i thought years ago he was caught with a sword cane in his vehicle and charged for that.

VIP Member
    He was also in trouble (though I don't remember the disposition) for having hollow-points in The People's Deomcratic Republic of New Jersey.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Hard To Believe...

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    He probably would have been OK, but going 111 mph is bound to attract some sort of attention to yourself. Not the brightest bulb in the light string.
    Smoking pot...(if he was)...and going 111mph?...more like 11mph!
    Can't really remember though...was almost 40 years ago, and if memory serves me well...didn't inhale back then anyways...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Is it cache or arsenal?
    The Marshmallowist

Assistant Administrator
    I regard arsenal as the place where firearms are worked on, as well as stored. Inst' - ''re-arsenalled'' gun.

Storage only, I call armory ..... weapons depot.

Cache is tho a fairly good descriptive term for a collection of significant numbers - often also implicit in the term is meaning something that may have been hidden/concealed. Also seems to mean sometimes a ''find''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This guy must be paranoid. The guns are ok but the PA system,flashing lights and siren were a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That might seem like alot up in Washington, but it wouldn't make an honorable mention around here.
    N. Little Rock?

I hate the "arsenal" label.

Whenever some joker gets arrested here around the "city of Un-Brotherly shove" , the local media LOVES to label his deer gun and grandpappy's .22 rifle an "arsenal". Anything to raise the ratings and sell papers, no matter what the truth is.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links