News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge

This is a discussion on News story: Excessive arsenal in vehicle? - merge within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local....asp?ID=178045 The short story: the state patrol pulls over Blues singer John Popper for speeding and finds, in various hidden compartments, 4 rifles, 1 shotgun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local....asp?ID=178045

The short story: the state patrol pulls over Blues singer John Popper for speeding and finds, in various hidden compartments, 4 rifles, 1 shotgun, 9 handguns, 1 switchblade, night vision goggles, marijuana, and a taser. If you look at the picture, the guy is carrying what look like a mini-14, 2 Steyr Scouts, and a .50 shorty bolt for rifles. I can't even make out the handguns.

Holy crud! While I'm all for being prepared, this guy is really something else. I don't know anything about him, but sounds like he has some paranoia issues if he packs this around as a matter of course.

Anyway, to our LEO, keep alert guys. Keep safe.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - hate that ''arsenal'' term but for sure - this is one boatload of iron work LOL!

Maybe more too it? Not sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Hmmm - hate that ''arsenal'' term but for sure - this is one boatload of iron work LOL!
    Yeah, you are right there. We could call it a "mobile gun safe" with what was in it. "Arsenal" was a poor choice of words.
    eschew obfuscation

Senior Moderator
    That might seem like alot up in Washington, but it wouldn't make an honorable mention around here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That might seem like alot up in Washington, but it wouldn't make an honorable mention around here.
    In a home, it wouldn't make news here (unless they were looking for a "scary story"). But hidden in various places in a vehicle...
    eschew obfuscation

Senior Moderator
    One thing about it...carrying all that hardware and having Marijuana in the vehicle was just asking for trouble...and now it appears that he has found it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    One thing about it...carrying all that hardware and having Marijuana in the vehicle was just asking for trouble...and now it appears that he has found it...
    He probably would have been OK, but going 111 mph is bound to attract some sort of attention to yourself. Not the brightest bulb in the light string.
    eschew obfuscation

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Shoot, last time I went down to mom's had way more tools than that in my pick-up. Including an eight pound hammer.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

That was his bugout van, it also had flashing headlights and a Siren, he said it was in case of a natural disaster he didn't want to be left behind. Nice set up, if they hadn't had drugs and a pipe he probably would have been ok and his friend who was driving would have just been cited for speeding. Those drugs are really going to burn him.

Don't be left behind....

From AP!

John Popper from Blues Travler...

By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Mar 7, 11:45 PM ET

SPOKANE, Wash. - Blues Traveler singer and harmonica player John Popper was arrested after the vehicle he was riding in was clocked going 111 mph, the Washington State Patrol said Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Popper, 39, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 90 near the Spokane/Lincoln county line, the Washington State Patrol said.

Inside the black Mercedes SUV, officers found a cache of weapons and a small amount of marijuana, the Patrol said. A police dog searched the vehicle, finding numerous hidden compartments containing four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife. Authorities also found a Taser and night vision goggles. The vehicle was seized.

Popper, who lives in Snohomish, Wash., is the owner of the vehicle, which was being driven by Brian Gourgeois, 34, of Austin, Texas, said state patrol Trooper Jeff Sevigney. The vehicle also had flashing emergency headlights, a siren and a public address system, the Patrol said.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Patrol said in a news release. He also told officers he collected weapons, the Patrol said.

The two men were booked administratively into the Adams County jail and released on their own recognizance. Authorities plan to charge them with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Gourgeois will also face a charge of reckless driving, the Patrol said.

Popper did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment Wednesday night.

Popper achieved fame as a harmonica player and frontman for Blues Traveler. The band won a Grammy award in 1996 for the song "Run-around," which Popper composed.

Popper recently formed a group called The John Popper Project with DJ Logic, which released an album in 2006 and is scheduled to go on the road later this month.

um ok

111mph. Rifles. Handguns. Switchblade.

That switchblade is a no-no, in Washington, IIRC. Though, interestingly, they're charging him with drugs, reckless driving. Nice to see that simple bad judgment in speeding while carrying so many weapons doesn't classify as anything other than bad judgment. In some other places, you'd be hauled in and rousted heavily for the firearms-related nature of the situation (Calif. and other odd places).

Washington RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons — Penalty.

Every person who:

(1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement; ... is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Looks like an "I.D.10.T" error to me.....

Firearms + Intoxicants = Trouble
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Agreed HG...all that plus the component of speeding at double nickel rates worst in a high profile appearing vehicle at that all adds up to "ID10T".

As well I think the term 'arsenal' is appropriate here.
    John Popper won't be poppin' anymore.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I can understand arresting him for the grass and the excessive speed.... but all the weapons? I sounds like my friends and I when we go out shooting. Pack all our stuff in one car or truck and we follow that car out.

He's got drugs with guns? Throw the book at him. Course, I just tend to be a little tempermental about it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links