Remember 'Ballistic Fingerprinting'?......

This is a discussion on Remember 'Ballistic Fingerprinting'?...... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...home-headlines 'Police expert lied about credentials' A high-ranking police ballistics expert who testified in courts throughout Maryland and neighboring states killed himself after being confronted ...

VIP Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...home-headlines

'Police expert lied about credentials'

A high-ranking police ballistics expert who testified in courts throughout Maryland and neighboring states killed himself after being confronted with evidence that he had lied about his credentials - a revelation that defense attorneys say could force new trials for some of the hundreds of people he helped convict.

Joseph Kopera, head of the Maryland State Police firearms unit, claimed on witness stands to have degrees that he never earned, state police acknowledged yesterday as they began notifying prosecutors and defense attorneys across the region of their findings.

The top prosecutor in Baltimore County and the U.S. attorney for Maryland also said they would review cases that included testimony from Kopera.

Questions regarding the longtime firearms and toolmarks examiner's credentials were raised several weeks ago by state public defenders working with the Innocence Project, a small unit of lawyers who represent defendants they believe have been wrongfully convicted......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Well - that even more makes a mockery of ''ballistic fingerprinting'' ........ a devastatingly costly failure even in itself - but add in false ''expert witness'' to the formula and yeah - great huh!

Wonder how he got away with it so long too. Makes ya think hmmmm. Wonder how many otherwise innocent folks went down due to his ''expert'' testimony.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I hope all the people convicted by this fraud sue the crap out of the state of Maryland. What a joke, they didn't even check out the guys credentials and he was affecting lives.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Ooops. Hate when that happens. State has a star witness that commits perjury for years? Kinda kills a little more faith in the system, doesn't it?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'll Double This Thought...

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I hope all the people convicted by this fraud sue the crap out of the state of Maryland. What a joke, they didn't even check out the guys credentials and he was affecting lives.
    What goes around, comes around...and Maryland...here it comes!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Remember it??

Maryland STILL has it! It has cost the state millions, and last I heard you can literally count the number of convictions through it's use on ONE hand!

This latest scandal just adds more fuel to the fire.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Remember it??

Maryland STILL has it! It has cost the state millions, and last I heard you can literally count the number of convictions through it's use on ONE hand!

This latest scandal just adds more fuel to the fire.
    I didn't know there had been ANY convictions using 'ballistic fingerprinting'...you mean there has been one?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I didn't know there had been ANY convictions using 'ballistic fingerprinting'...you mean there has been one?
    Yes. I read an article last year when they tried to get the Maryland law revoked that there had actually been something like 2 where the "fingerprinting" has helped in getting convictions.

On the down side, that is out of tens of thousands of cartridge cases documented at the cost of millions of dollars since the program started.......... Hardly cost effective.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Even the village idiot knew it was all bull droppings from day 1.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links