There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo - Page 2

There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo

This is a discussion on There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Uh...how are you defining close supervision?? Last I saw, PVT Snuffy was engaging BGs and he didn't have two range safety ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Uh...how are you defining close supervision?? Last I saw, PVT Snuffy was engaging BGs and he didn't have two range safety officers and his mommy looking over his shoulder.

+1 Black Knight
    Keep in mind I am not defending this rule at all, I am just giving the argument they are using.

In the military, there is always a chain of command responsible for keeping folks in line. A Pvt. does not go into the field all by his lonesome, there is always at least a NCO along too. Not to mention the rules are very different in Iraq vs. stateside.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep in mind I am not defending this rule at all, I am just giving the argument they are using.

In the military, there is always a chain of command responsible for keeping folks in line. A Pvt. does not go into the field all by his lonesome, there is always at least a NCO along too. Not to mention the rules are very different in Iraq vs. stateside.
    Yes and did not some high powered thinker say the military is an extension of our society or words to that effect. If it is so, then all the rules complained about are explained.

Of course, until 1971, 18-20 year olds couldn't even vote, although they could be drafted, fight and die for their country.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I don't get it. Why can't our government see this problem?

My son is 20 years old, in the USAF and is stationed at the local base.

By law he can't buy a gun or ammo for himself. When he rented a gun, he couldn't under his own name. I had to rent it for him.

When he was going to use my gun he couldn't go buy ammo for it. I had to buy it for him.

He is in the military! He is trained to handle guns. He can go to war and be armed 24/7. But when he gets back our government doesn't trust him to buy a gun or ammo.

They need to make an exception when it comes to legal ages to buy guns and ammo.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Sadly I know the feeling, I was 20 when I came home from my first tour of Vietnam. I'd spent a year as a Infantry soldier patrolling in and out of Cambodia, sitting up ambushes, calling air-strikes...on and on. My first leave back in the world I took my (future wife) to a popular dance club in Dallas Texas only to discover I couldn't get in because they served "beer". I could have walked into any military package store and bought a case of any liquor of my choice, I could walk into any EM -Club and order mixed drinks, but I couldn't get into a civilian club because they served 3.2 beer and I was 20.
    If your old enough to serve your country, you should have all the rights and privileges of an adult---"period".
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    once you've completed basic training, in any branch, if im not mistaken, you've qualified at least basic pistol and range. that military ID should qualify you
    I didn't in the Navy never had firearms training, they said we didn't need it on a boat. Then I joined the Air Force and never had training until they were sending me on Desert Storm. That's when I got my M-16 training, qualified Expert first time out. Then had to requalify every year after.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    The age restriction for firearms and ammo is a little silly, I agree that a 15 yr old should be able to buy .22's and there is no reason an 18 yr old shouldn't be able to purchase a firearm or ammo.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Write your Congressman, get a petition started, make some noise with the media.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've been Army almost 10 years now. I've fired the M16 (A2 and A4), M4, M60, M249 SAW, M203, M240B, M240C, M242 25mm automatic gun, TOW missiles, AT4 rockets, Claymore mines, MK19 40mm machine gun, and hand grenades. I've never qualified with a pistol.

While I agree the age restrictions are quite silly, the law should apply equally to us.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    It's been stated, but should be emphasised: The vast majority of military members will go through a typical enlistment without ever firing a handgun. There is no pistol use in most basic trainings, to include 11B Infantry (unless it's been added recently).

Again, I'm not supporting the rule - I think it's patently ridiculous and insulting - but there it is.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've been Army almost 10 years now. I've fired the M16 (A2 and A4), M4, M60, M249 SAW, M203, M240B, M240C, M242 25mm automatic gun, TOW missiles, AT4 rockets, Claymore mines, MK19 40mm machine gun, and hand grenades. I've never qualified with a pistol.
    i thought that was kinda weird. i mean yeah, every company in the army is limited in their handguns (m-9) and usually reserved for officers and platoon leaders. the leftovers go to E-7's then down the line. when i wanted to qualify on one i just asked when the next range was and if i could tag along. they said sure. i went and qualified. when i became an armorer me and my buddy (the other armorer) were the only E-4's to be carrying m-9's. perk of the job. it's very unlikely, as far as being issued one, but not impossible.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    In most Infantry Companies, only the company commander will have a pistol - everyone else has a rifle. There are exceptions, of course, but usually only O-3 and above or specialty postions carry pistols.

I had an M9 as an "everything bearer" on an M60 team in a Ranger Bn, but this was simply because I was carrying too much crap (and had too many other responsibilities) to be a rifleman - on a "normal" three-man gun team the AG and AB would have rifles.

Later, as the Scout/Sniper PL for my Bn in Afghanistan, I scrounged up enough M9s (from FOB-bound medics and staff officers, mostly) to equip myself, my PSG, and each of my snipers and spotters with an M9. Of course, I had to conduct some extensive training with them, since most of them had little to no experience with the M9 prior to this...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree it is ridiculous. In Germany, you had to keep your firearm at the range in the vault. Steve48

If you can vote at 18, ALL rights of citizenship should be yours.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

This Situation Is Definitely Unfair...

If you are old enough to fight (and die) for this country, then other privileges should also be granted...although, when on base...bars are not off limits to enlisted 18 year olds.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    not only that--but he can't even have a beer!!

It pains me everytime this kind of issue comes up.

"go to war"--but you need to be 21 to own/hold/buy a gun or ammo

"risk your life"--but you can't buy a beer

Because unlike the rest of the world, if these young Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen get in trouble, not only do they need to worry about an upset wife, kids, parents--but one PO'd Chief, Senior Chief, 1st Sgt, Top, LPO, NCOIC (pick one) who needs to mentor the young man/woman and have him/her learn the error of his/her ways.

Yeah, I enlisted at 17, and I still couldn't cast a vote for commander-in-chief that year
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links