There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo

This is a discussion on There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't get it. Why can't our government see this problem? My son is 20 years old, in the USAF and is stationed at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There should be a law for military exemption for guns and ammo

I don't get it. Why can't our government see this problem?

My son is 20 years old, in the USAF and is stationed at the local base.

By law he can't buy a gun or ammo for himself. When he rented a gun, he couldn't under his own name. I had to rent it for him.

When he was going to use my gun he couldn't go buy ammo for it. I had to buy it for him.

He is in the military! He is trained to handle guns. He can go to war and be armed 24/7. But when he gets back our government doesn't trust him to buy a gun or ammo.

They need to make an exception when it comes to legal ages to buy guns and ammo.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    It is ridiculous without a doubt.

When you think of a guy that can run an M1A3 tank, pilot a nuclear warship or an aircraft any of which could blow a city off the map,but he cant buy a pistol or the ammo for it, it makes no sense.

Its actually kind of embarrassing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

not only that--but he can't even have a beer!!

It pains me everytime this kind of issue comes up.

"go to war"--but you need to be 21 to own/hold/buy a gun or ammo

"risk your life"--but you can't buy a beer

Because unlike the rest of the world, if these young Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen get in trouble, not only do they need to worry about an upset wife, kids, parents--but one PO'd Chief, Senior Chief, 1st Sgt, Top, LPO, NCOIC (pick one) who needs to mentor the young man/woman and have him/her learn the error of his/her ways.

Thumbs down Stupid laws

This sounds like one of those stupid laws that need to be changed. If you join the service and are stationed in Oklahoma which is your home state your civil rights are suspended. This sucks big time. Is this the same in all states? Our boys are over in Irac and their gun rights are suspended at home. What a joke.

Administrator
    I agree its stupid to not allow young military people to buy what ever it is they want, but heres the logic behind it.

Very very few MOS's are trained to use handguns. Very few. Those that are, use them under close supervision of NCO's, or other Officers. (that is true with any weapon)

Then again, come to think of it... I made E-5 at 20...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    They need to make an exception when it comes to legal ages to buy guns and ammo.
    I'm with you up to this point...

They (meaning We, really) need to get rid of the age restrictions on purchasing firearms and ammunition.

If we need to take incremental steps to get there, fine... but the goal should be that purchasing firearms and ammunition are no more restricted than purchasing a newspaper or a book, or a stick of gum, for that matter.

Why shouldn't a 15 year old be able to purchase a box of .22 for pest control around the farm? Why shouldn't a 19 year old college student be able to purchase a defensive firearm for her apartment? Why can't I order a new pistol and have it shipped to my house? And for sure, a solder of the Unites States armed forces should _never_ be prevented from purchasing any product that's legal for any other citizen to purchase.

I know... it's 'for the children', and it helps 'keep us safe', right?

"If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life."
    -Henry David Thoreau
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree its stupid to not allow young military people to buy what ever it is they want, but heres the logic behind it.

Very very few MOS's are trained to use handguns. Very few. Those that are, use them under close supervision of NCO's, or other Officers. (that is true with any weapon)

Then again, come to think of it... I made E-5 at 20...

However--in today's day and age, a majority of servicemembers have been to Iraq/Afghanistan/HOA or are on their way there or on their way home. Everyone deploys with at least one weapon...so I wouldn't discount your transportation guy or mail clerk...

Mav, I don't know where you are in OK, but ya'gotta know how to play the system: I assume you were at Wally World, or similar? If so, in most places, he can purchase, if he states it is for a rifle/carbine. It wouldn't hurt to have his mil ID out when he's asking, either. You may encounter a butt-head, or a by-the-booker, but generally..........

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO when they are old enough to serve , and vote they are dammed shure old enough to buy , drink , carry , and all the other immoral activitys the nanny state wants to protect us from .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

they're wearing the uniform, representing this, the greatest of nations.

people hate us for no reason other than we love America.

they deserve the right to defend themselves, as much as i do. and to train themselves, etc.

once you've completed basic training, in any branch, if im not mistaken, you've qualified at least basic pistol and range. that military ID should qualify you

Even though it's not an issue to me anymore as I have surpassed the 21 year old mark I'm still young enough to remember that it sucked. I have to admit that I know some 50+ people that aren't responsible enough to drink or buy ammo. I also know some 18 year olds who have their heads on pretty straight.

Lead Moderator
    Heck, when I went into the Army at 18 I gave up the right to drink (Drinking age of 18 in NY State back then.) I couldn't vote or do much of anything else. I think what ticked me off most was having to pay taxes on my meager military pay, yet couldn't vote (taxation without representation) ........ One of the things I was "fighting" to protect!

Still feel bad that our military give up so many of the rights they are defending, but that is the sacrifice that our military (and I) chose to make!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO when they are old enough to serve , and vote they are dammed shure old enough to buy , drink , carry , and all the other immoral activitys the nanny state wants to protect us from .
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    However--in today's day and age, a majority of servicemembers have been to Iraq/Afghanistan/HOA or are on their way there or on their way home. Everyone deploys with at least one weapon...so I wouldn't discount your transportation guy or mail clerk...
    Even if this is true, the rules are very different over seas and in a war zone. They still cant purchase ammo or the weapon, it is issued to them and used under close supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I think what ticked me off most was having to pay taxes on my meager military pay, yet couldn't vote (taxation without representation) ........ One of the things I was "fighting" to protect!
    You should have claimed Florida as your home state
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Personally I believe anyone in the military (soldier, sailor, airman, marine, or coastie) has earned the right to enjoy all the same rights and perks other adults (over 21) enjoy. If you are old enough to risk your life for the country and its citizens then you are old enough to accept the responsibilties, previleges, and rights the rest of us enjoy. I have great respect for those who have served, still serve, and will serve in the future. My father (deceased 2002) served in Europe during WWII (Infantry 1943-1945).

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Even if this is true, the rules are very different over seas and in a war zone. They still cant purchase ammo or the weapon, it is issued to them and used under close supervision.
    Uh...how are you defining close supervision?? Last I saw, PVT Snuffy was engaging BGs and he didn't have two range safety officers and his mommy looking over his shoulder.

+1 Black Knight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links