Iranian bombs in Iraq? No way!!

This is a discussion on Iranian bombs in Iraq? No way!! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know it's just "believed to be" an Iranian bomb, but is anyone really surprised at all? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258912,00.html Bomb Believed to Be From Iran Found ...

Thread: Iranian bombs in Iraq? No way!!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Iranian bombs in Iraq? No way!!

I know it's just "believed to be" an Iranian bomb, but is anyone really surprised at all?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258912,00.html

Bomb Believed to Be From Iran Found at Site Where 4 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Baghdad

BAGHDAD A roadside bomb exploded Thursday in eastern Baghdad, killing four U.S. soldiers and wounding two others, the U.S. military said, and an undetonated device believed to be from Iran was found at the site.

The attack began when one bomb went off as a U.S. unit was returning from a search operation in the mostly Shiite area, the military said. Moments later, a second bomb exploded, killing and wounding the soldiers.

A demolition team that searched the site after the attack found an explosively formed projectile, a type of high-tech bomb which the U.S. military believes comes from Iran. The device was detonated by the team.

Earlier Thursday, the military said a U.S. soldier was killed the day before in combat in Anbar province, west of Baghdad.

In addition, a Marine assigned to Multi-National Force-West also died Wednesday in a non-combat related incident in Anbar, the military said in a separate statement. It did not give more details, saying the incident is under investigation.

Identities were not released pending notification of relatives.

2. Remove Ads

A bomb element of the type used by Iran was found. That's a highly-qualified statement that is really only saying: they don't know who made or supplied the munitions in question, so they'd like to harp on the fact that Iran is known to manufacture munitions of the same style. What's not said, of course, is that the U.S., the U.K. and a small number of other countries do so, as well.

Of course, saying things that way wouldn't serve the larger purpose of the vilification of Iran ahead of military action based on such "justifications." Whatever the truth is, what can be said is this: the Bush Administration will use the incident to "advantage" if it's able. True or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

true, that's a good point. I suppose these things don't exactly have a "made in Iran" stamp on them, so we can't be certain. All the same, it wouldn't be a huge shock to learn that it or other munitions were coming from Iran.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    true, that's a good point. I suppose these things don't exactly have a "made in Iran" stamp on them, so we can't be certain.
    Even then I wouldn't be 100% sure.

As an example, a lot of ordnance used in the mid-East is of Russian design, and has been made in many other (usually East European) countries...... The only difference is the paint job (i.e., markings). Give someone the ordnance, and a can of paint and he can provide you a round from any country that has been known to use that type of ordnance.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I was using that as something of a tongue-in-cheek example of "indisputable proof", but thanks for the fun fact.

Links