Defensive Carry banner

Police Dogs

3K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  petecamp 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Looks like he's on command for something he'd rather not be doing.
My Presa (RIP) who was very dog aggressive got that look in Petsmart when I told her to sit or lie while we were in line and another dog was near.

Shame for the dog, but that's why they're working dogs. Better the dog than a human life (to some).

#14 ·
A well trained working dog is a pretty awesome thing.

I always felt a bit better walking point on patrol when we had a military working dog trained to detect explosives and handler along with us. That is a large part of why my current dog, who is a black lab mix.

After a being a witness to a demonstration recently of what a well trained police dog can do, I have no desire to have one unleashed upon me.

#16 ·
I agree with you , I have not had the background you have had . But look on as I go in restricted areas often where these dogs work and watch them closely as they sniff out our trucks . Also one thing I love watching is Cops on TV when they have the police dog shows . Funny stuff right there with the BG's

#17 ·
This is why I like dogs more than people, in most cases. I have a friend who is a K-9 Trooper and he says you cannot have a better partner. The bond he has with his dog is something to see.

#18 ·
... I have a friend who is a K-9 Trooper and he says you cannot have a better partner. The bond he has with his dog is something to see.
Yeah. And when the dog is killed in action, it takes a greater toll on the handler than most would believe. That was not a "partner" or squad mate, that was family that just died.

I get that the military dogs are "Property of", and when the handlers tour is up, they rotate the dog to a new handler. To this I object. Rotate the dog and handler to a guard station or airport/border work (READ - you sign up to be K9, you signed up for 5+ years on duty). LEO dogs typically retire before the handler.

#20 ·
We had one killed in Lakeland Florida a few years back. The officer K-9 handler was also killed. They were laid to rest side by side. The sheriff dept shot the killer over 100 times. I thought they should have propped him up and shot him another 100 times. Sheriff was asked " why did you shoot the suspect 100 times" the Sheriff replied " we ran out of ammo" , RIP K-9 Officer.

#21 ·
Wow ... they DID NOT EVEN TELL THE STORY ... on how the dog died.

I was watching a live broadcast when all that was going on , and while I was working on some things . ...... they said at one point "they sent the dog in now" ... and then BOOOOOOM.

A story on it was ... ... they sent the dog into the apartment, and once it entered is when she set off her suicide vest, blowing herself and the guy they were hunting for ..... as well as the dog. The blast was so strong it blew out the floor of the apartment and parts of her (like her head) out the window and 3-4 floors down to the sidewalk. They could not ID anyone, because only "tissue" was left..... thus the reason for the DNA tests to make sure who was killed.

She yelled for "help" just prior to that , and they think it was to lure the police in. But, someone earlier saw something on the vest that resembled a timer. My question is whether she set off the vest, or .... did he put the vest on her and have a remote to detonate it ?? I'm betting the later.

Either way, by Diesel going in .... how many officers did she save .(yes, Diesel is a "she" ) .... and how many of them would have been killed had they gone in first. ?? I bet .. .many.

Also, if the dog grabbed her .... or leaped on her .... did the dog inadvertently set off the vest and ironically put an end to it ??

Diesel was trained not only to detect explosives, but as an attack dog.

Either way, the dog gave it's life.... to save the lives of those officers. Which also ended the stand off and the potential of more officers getting shot.

One article says : " The hashtag ‪#‎JeSuisChien‬ (I am a dog) was trending on French Twitter after the announcement."

French Medal of Honor

Last PICTURE of Diesel at the scene in France.
https://easternmediterraneanagency....ice-last-moments-photo.png?w=532&h=372&crop=1

#22 ·
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. . - Author Unknown

There is no faith which as never broken, except that of a faithful dog. - Konrad Z. Lorenz

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. - Mark Twain

RIP Diesel

#23 ·
I agree the terrorist woman was trying to lure officers by crying for "Help". When the dog came through the door she probably figured the officers were right behind.

At least the dog didn't suffer with a gut shot or something.

A lot of people could learn a few things about loyalty and honor by watching Man's Best Friend.

#25 ·
I think they are (incl her family) trying to change the story line.... "she was such a good girl" kind of thing. But she is knowingly with a guy that just planned and executed some terrorist attacks... the other people there (7-8) were who not killed, were preparing to do some MORE attacks and arming up. She knew what was going on, and I can't believe she was an innocent bystander nor dumb to what he and everyone was doing.

The people there (their 7-8 friends) were the one's that said afterwards she was wearing the vest, and her other conversations with the Police during the stand-off. There is always the possibility, but she's no more innocent whether she was or wasn't... in my opinion.

I think I'll believe what they said, and not some of those who would like to alter the story afterwards & want to paint her in a better light, and who weren't there, unless some real evidence otherwise comes out.

#29 ·
My trooper friend has a belgian malinois. I know dogs and I swear this dog is psychically connected. It's uncanny to see them together. That said, his dog is not the type of dog that can be brought anywhere. His home, his cruiser, or out working. That's it. I was also amazed to hear that his dog lives outside year round. He can get into the basement of the house through a dog door but he prefers to stay outside. He works and trains with the dog constantly and I have no doubt that the dog would do whatever he asked of him without thought.

#37 ·
Dogs are at their best when given a job they understand. His job is watching over the pack and he will give it his all whether on patrol or in the yard. I'm none too surprised to hear he lives outside year round. That is one happy service dog.

Some have those close bonds with a dog, some never do. I had that kind of a bond with Katie. I knew what was in her head before she did, and vice versa. Part of the reason I've not brought another dog into the family. She was a special once in a lifetime dog.

#30 ·
Just saw the movie "Max"...about a war dog adopted by the family of Max's slain handler. While fictional in nature, it had some heartwarming parts in it. I was surprised at how many thousands of war dogs were used in the Middle East conflicts. Partnerships between man and dog are amazing. God bless them....partners.....

#32 ·
Just saw this news article that Russia gave France a new puppy to replace Diesel. Good for them.

"Moscow (AFP) - Russia has offered to send an Alsatian puppy to France in a gesture of solidarity after a police dog was killed during a raid on jihadists linked to the Paris attacks."
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

Russia gives France puppy to replace killed police dog

#38 ·
#33 ·
May the dog bless you and keep you
may the dog lift it's face to shine upon you
and be gracious unto you
May the dog lift it's countenance upon you
and give you peace

whoof

#34 ·
'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'
I still can't read that without getting all misty.

#35 ·
We all love our Dogs because they do not judge us and could care less how we look , as long as we share our hearts with them they will give us everything . I can imagine when you have these skilled dogs save lives and help restore order it can been overwhelming for sure .

#39 ·
I watched a show on the History channel about a Bulldog that was a Company mascot during WWI. It saved a lot of lives by detecting the gas attacks and giving the guys enough notice to put their masks on.

There were a lot of working dogs used during WWII and Vietnam. They were great at detecting ambushes and finding spider traps and booby traps.

Panama City Beach lost one a few years ago. Three burglary suspects were stopped and they bailed out and ran into the swamp. They turned the Belgian loose to track them and it was never seen again. They caught the guys when they emerged from the woods.

Someone could write a great book about working dogs and the lives they've saved.

#42 ·
I have great respect for the handlers and working dogs that serve in our military and with law enforcement agencies, they have been instrumental in saving thousands of lives.

#47 ·
I had the chance to ride with a K9 team shooting a story. Funniest thing I saw was the German shepherd run and take down a fleeing suspect. And be 100% aggressive until called off. Then he let go of the suspect and eagerly ran to his handler to play with his special rolled up towel and be swung around by the officer. That was his reward for completing a task. Totally forgot about the perp because it was PLAYTIME!!

#49 ·
Bird dogs, attack dogs, police dogs, varmint dogs, anti-home invasion dogs, herding dogs, lap dogs, . . . holy cow have I missed anything?

What they all want, actually, is to be able to sniff another dog's but in a properly supervised manner.

#48 ·
They do love their rewards! I'll never forget when a Customs dog tried to steal my daughters stuffed monkey at the airport. The dog and it's handler was going one direction and we were going the other and he just casually reached out and grabbed her monkey out of her hand while we were walking past each other. His handler didn't even notice until they were a little ways away and my daughter started crying. His handler said that his dogs reward for doing a good job was to play with his stuffed animal.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.