Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

San Francisco, CA, police change gun policy for their officers

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  popo22 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Why are we the only country in the world who seem to give thugs and killers more rights than police officers....
Or even the general public. That has been the case for the last 20 years at least.

#6 ·
Let's keep it on topic or more posts might *POOF* or get edited. :lolp:

SF is in a sad state of affairs. Homeless everywhere, the stink everywhere, they voted for it, they can live with it.

The LEO here, though, are the whipping posts, sadly enough. I hope the Union forces a back-down.

#10 ·
San Francisco police have decreed that any time one of their officers has to draw his or her weapon they must now report the action to their supervisors as a use of force incident. This comes in the wake of public outrage over the shooting of Mario Woods, a man armed with a knife who was killed in a hail of police gunfire in December.

Time magazine quotes activists who claim that the shooting of Woods brings Ferguson to San Francisco.

This is the first time San Francisco police officers have had to make such reports simply for drawing their weapons, and the police officers' union is calling for the move to be rescinded for further study.
Pointing a gun at someone is using force, so this makes sense.

#11 ·
The police unions have exempted all police officers from all of California's wonderful gun laws, I feel a tiny little bit bad for the individual officers, but honestly I would like to see the whole darn state require equal enforcement of these gun laws (cops included) so that the police unions will make them (gun laws) quietly
go away.

Until then, I say give the Frisco cops bananas for their holsters, that's what they deserve.

#18 · (Edited)
The police unions have exempted all police officers from all of California's wonderful gun laws, I feel a tiny little bit bad for the individual officers, but honestly I would like to see the whole darn state require equal enforcement of these gun laws (cops included) so that the police unions will make them (gun laws) quietly
go away.

Until then, I say give the Frisco cops bananas for their holsters, that's what they deserve.
Exactly. California cops want to be treated like they are a higher level of subject than the other people in their state. Well, the state masters that they so eagerly serve can take away some of their special privileges too apparently.

#12 ·
Pointing a gun at someone is using force, so this makes sense.
I've decided you are joking, and not a pansy wimp with no concept of reality or common sense.

You have a great sense of humor!

#13 ·
Well...under *military* rules on escalation of force, pointing a weapon at someone is using force. Not saying it makes sense to write a report everytime a gun is drawn, but I understand where the logic comes from.

Reactions: Hasaf and Ianthin
#15 ·
I'm on the side of drawing (what for us is called brandishing) is lethal force.

As to a report every time. IDK, in a way it makes sense, OTOH, the time spent doing so might stress an already overstretched budget and take away from actual policing. Does reporting mean radioing it in or actual paperwork, witnesses, formal review, etc.

I'm not LE, but another question which comes to mind is if there are situations where a gun is drawn on someone yet no charges are filed against the individual. Hard to believe drawing a gun would then only result in a verbal warning.

I've met members of SFPD actually walking a beat on the streets. The ones I met this way were good guys.

Oh, and the stink? All septic flows into the same system as rainwater. On a warm day, the streets do stink. Especially near the storm drains.

#16 ·
that officer fired his gun. At least 15 shots from police followed, and Woods was killed

Why does every officer at a location. Need to fire . 1 suspect with a knife. Responding officer. Should handle. Back up to assist if need to take subject to ground to restrain . But no volley fire by every one on scene. That endangers every one near by. Considering most of today's Police need to be in the barn to assure at least a 70% of hitting . If officer under fire I can see others shooting.

This is the I am a Judge Dread law enforcement officer. You will obey civilian . A Police officer on the beat in old days would not have done this . He might have demonstrated to subject his skill with a nightstick But not all that firepower. I think a lot of police problems today come from lowing the requirements to become a officer . You now have people that could not have passed years back. Because of PC and equal opportunity Their now armed and on our streets .

#19 ·
that officer fired his gun. At least 15 shots from police followed, and Woods was killed

Why does every officer at a location. Need to fire . 1 suspect with a knife. Responding officer. Should handle. Back up to assist if need to take subject to ground to restrain . But no volley fire by every one on scene. That endangers every one near by. Considering most of today's Police need to be in the barn to assure at least a 70% of hitting . If officer under fire I can see others shooting.

This is the I am a Judge Dread law enforcement officer. You will obey civilian . A Police officer on the beat in old days would not have done this . He might have demonstrated to subject his skill with a nightstick But not all that firepower. I think a lot of police problems today come from lowing the requirements to become a officer . You now have people that could not have passed years back. Because of PC and equal opportunity Their now armed and on our streets .
If someone attacks a cop with a knife, they need to respond. Duh. They need to fire as many times as required to stop the threat to their safety. Being a cop is not a death cult. They have every right to go home alive. Don't want to get shot? Don't try and kill a cop. Seems simple to me.

#20 ·
You said it before I could.
San Francisco is the birth mother of Portland and Seattle. I get the impression that a large portion of california cops enthusiastically enforce and support California's gun laws, so don't really care if they have to do more paperwork. Their unions should be focused on reducing law enforcements burden by allowing citizens to protect themselves from crime.

#21 ·
They've had five years to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.