Defensive Carry banner

Oklahoma's doing something right

641 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
#3 ·
As you said OP don't hold your breath.

#4 ·
I know that I'll never find the thread, there has been so many about firearms on military bases.

IIRC the reason for the "No Guns" was due to the number of NDs that was occurring.

Yes this is our nations military.

Yes they are supposedly well trained.

You have to remember though, the bulk of the enlisted are not exactly the cream of the crop. Just because they are military, does not mean they are instantly proficient with firearms, and are 100% infallible on the 4 rules.

A great many of them have never fired a weapon before.

I don't know what the answer is, I do agree that it does create a soft target for those intent on doing ill. You have to remember, that part of the training is to break the recruits will, and a lot of people hold grudges. Different world for them.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24
#5 ·
Yeah I can see that, I know a lot of them are or were not the best people for the job. To disarm everyone on base is a little ridiculous don't you think, I mean even the gaurds at the entrance are not armed. It sounds a little crazy to me. Even if they just let like, higher ups carry, like Sargent's and up or something. Cause like you said there are a lot of people that did go into it for school, hell are goverment has been promoting it for a few years now, that you want a free college degree come to the army. Anyways at least it's a step in the right direction and hopefully it speads....quickly

#10 ·
The GI bill is in and out as far as advertising. I am sure that the high schools push it every year.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24
#9 ·
There are a lot of military that are not properly train to a lot of weapons. I was not introduce to the 45 until I reach my duty station. I would think they should be train to the weapons that you carry. We did not have a lot of the weapons that the Marines carried for guard duty. In 80 when I reach my duty station we still had the m14 as duty rifle. About 6 months after that we receive m16s that I had in boot camp.

#11 ·
That is, if we get top keep the G.I. Bill or T.A. (tuition assistance), or retirement as they get threatened every year around the end of the fiscal year.

Back to the subject, a lot of us in the service don't get much firearm training. We got a couple hours one day in boot camp consisting of a safety course, a laser fire simulator and enough rounds to attempt to achieve a ribbon. Any other training that non-weapon-carrying rates is on our own accord and out of our pocket. With that said, I don't think everyone in my situation should be prevented from carrying on base. I don't mind proving competence or even an annual re-qualification.

#12 ·
I don't understand why it took so long for this to happen, hopefully it goes nationwide, but ...
The risk of a standing army, I'd think. If they're always armed, then it's hard to claim they're not a standing army. If they're almost always unarmed, it can at least be claimed there's no problem.

IMO, the charade's utility has outlasted its welcome. If we're going to have a standing army, then by all means don't force them to be impotent. If we're going to dislike having a standing army, then by all means cease having one and put the power back into the communities where it mostly belongs, reserving the "army" aspect for the outward facing forces.

That said, I'm all for arming "army" on bases, foreign and domestic. Just ensure procedures are in place, vetting is in place, folks are chosen well, and that folks are managed well. Do that, then I don't see the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.