Defensive Carry banner

Cop was sort of ambushed at hospital in Phila, had to fight to retain weapon

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  dmitchsr 
#1 ·
I haven't seen this one yet.

Philadelphia Police Officer Fights Off Man Trying to Steal His Gun, Cops Say - ABC News

Gotta wonder about people who would try to steal a weapon from an officer so they can go do a robbery elsewhere.

From the cited story: Man approaches cop: "I’m hungry. I haven’t eaten in five days. Do you have any money to spare?" the man asked the officer, according to police.

The cop handed him a $5 bill and then entered the hospital, police said.

When the officer came back to the entrance of the emergency room a while later, the same man approached him from behind and tried to grab the officer's gun from his holster, police said."

"According to police, the suspect said he wanted the gun to use to rob a store, "

O.K., its Phily, but show a little appreciation for the 5 bucks.

Incidentally, I once witnessed a Phily cop being extremely kind and gently to a woman who was sitting on a stoop and sobbing. I don't know what it was about, but
he was certainly trying hard to help--- as this cop did.

Time for a break from the Oregon thread. Let's talk about preventing disarms. (Yeah it comes up regularly but is worth a redo now and again.)

See less See more
Reactions: SteveMac
#8 ·
I've read that some non-combat troops have holsters with lanyards now. While they're apparently designed to keep Private Doofus from leaving his gat in the latrine, a lanyard might not be an entirely bad thing. It would require some thought and practice to keep it from getting tangled, and you'd have to repack it after you drew, so it wouldn't be as simple as a "retention" holster... but if someone managed to grab the gun they wouldn't be able to run off with it.

#6 ·
Do you mean you are just stunned by the BG's actions? Or do you think the LEO's story is suspect?

I posted this one for the benefit of the OCers. There really are some people out there who for whatever reason(s) would do anything to get that
gun from you. It may be rare or extremely unusual that they'll go after a cop's gun, as I said, well it was in Philly, but that incident if true points to
the need to be thinking hard about retention and training for retention.

Reactions: matthew03
#9 ·
But someone really does have to be a mental midget to try to take a police officers gun.
The gun is the policeman's symbol of authority, prominently displayed. It's like when a newspaperman asked Willie Sutton why he robbed banks. He said, "That's where the money is."

Most low-grade criminals are noted for lack of foresight and poor impulse control... that's part of what makes them low-grade criminals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.