Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drone Footage of LaVoy Finicum fatal shooting

7K views 141 replies 52 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·

FBI releases aerial video of Oregon militiaman LaVoy Finicum's shooting death and Ammon Bundy's arrest.

#2 ·
I wonder why fullscreen is 'unavailable'? It's hard to see much detail but it sure looks like he went for a gun- he was reaching into his waistband area right where a gun would be at any rate. I'm not surprised they shot him. Was it suicide by cop?

#4 ·
Given his statements about death and never being taken alive, etc., it did look like suicide by cop to me. It looked like he was trying to cross-draw with his right hand. It was odd that he exited the truck with his arms widespread, maybe as if to draw, but certainly not above his head. With no audio, it's impossible to detect if there were commands shouted, but I'd bet there were. He definitely made a move which appeared to be for a gun...

#3 ·
Impossible to gather anything conclusive from that video for me. I can't see any muzzle flash.
Looks like towards the end maybe flash bangs and continued fire on the truck but really can't say for sure.

Reactions: Aceoky
#7 ·
I only watched the segment where driver tried to run around the roadblock once.

I watched the shooting segment 10 or 12 times. It looked to me like Finicum was reaching for his shoulder holster. As every video I saw of him minus once he had a shoulder rig on. The other one time he was wearing a cowboy rig when they were cutting a new BLM fence.

Per a document I just read the USGS found uranium and natural gas in Harney county in 1987. That sounds fishy to me.

It also looked like suicide by cop to me or perhaps he was going for martyrdom.

#8 ·
Could be he was reaching for a gun - could be he was stumbling in the snow and trying to keep his balance. He certainly wasn't facing either officer when he was shot. And he certainly wasn't "charging officers," as some have reported.

So, did they find a weapon on him? Did he draw? Anybody know?

#10 ·
It appears a person dives out from behind the roadblock vehicles, possibly believing they were going to be rammed.

What's up with the multiple video redactions ( I count 18) on the video?

I know what some are if they are using standard aero-nav convention, (height, heading, bearing, speed, time, altitude, date, FLIR on/off etc)

1) The top left shows post processed date and ET, which tells me this is a edited copy, not a raw video transfer obviously.

2) The quality is horrible for drone video. I've done drone video with equip I'm sure not nearly as costly yet twice the resolution.

#11 ·
Full Screen is working fine for me.

Yes, you can clearly see someone quickly move to a position directly in front of the vehicle as it tries to pass the roadblock on the left side. He appears to have been sheltering behind the rear of the blocking vehicle. It is unclear to me if he was hit by the vehicle or not.

Reactions: dangerranger
#13 ·
#14 ·
Looks to me like he was going for something...............either way, it sure as heck did not look like an ambush and an assignation attempt that many on this forum and others have postulated and advocated.

#26 ·
If someone was reaching for a gun and there was another good guy about 135 degrees away on an arc with the BG(BG in the center)......why would you not shoot? He is about .25 seconds from engaging either of you.

#25 ·
What were those flashing things, and puffs of looked like white smoke on the truck shortly after the shooting?

Tough to tell what actually happened from a video 1000's of feet away, but it does appear that he goes for something, before he's shot. Tough to tell because there's no sound, and we're pretty far away from the incident. Maybe he was shot before what looked like going for a weapon. I'm not saying he was, but that video isn't enough proof that he wasn't.

#27 ·
Body cams might show more. But what we can tell from this video is that Vicky whats her name is no better witness than Dorian Johnson was in the Michael Brown shooting.

Hands up! Don't shoot!

Yeah right.

Everybody so quick to tell how the FBI assassinated this guy and it wasn't even the FBI that shot him! I guess it must suck to be one of those blame the feds for everything types right now. Their whole narrative falls apart. The alleged militia convoy that was coming up the back roads doesn't exist, their martyr is killed by an officer of the state of Oregon, NOT a federal agent, and his shooting very much looks fully justified by his actions. The remaining hold outs want to go home but don't have the stones to face the music. They couldn't screw this thing up any worse if they tried.

#29 ·
So my question is...if this guy wanted to "go out in a blaze of glory"...why didn't he exit the vehicle with alleged firearm already in hand ready to go? You scan the area so you know where the "threats" are...and come out shooting.

His hands and arms are CLEARLY up and raised as soon as he's out of the vehicle AND for most of the video. The guy is stumbling through knee deep snow. It looks to me like he's trying to keep his balance and doesn't "reach" for anything.

I do find it a bit odd how quickly there is a LEO in the woods behind him though...you know the one that shot him in the back.

Think about the entire situation logically for just a second. There are at least a dozen if not more heavily armed LEO's facing you down...with rifles already trained on you. Are you actually going to "reach" for a firearm in a holster AFTER they're all aimed in on you? I think not.

They set up that road block on a blind curve...hence the reason he swerved to the left so as to NOT smash head on into it. The one LEO down in front of the vehicle...he wasn't being aimed at.

Some of you here can be as bad as that guy bob owens who was deleting and blocking people on his "2A" FB page because they didn't agree with him when he said it was a "good shoot".

BTW...it's NOT drone footage. That was footage from a helicopter. The time and date stamps don't even match properly...I watched the supposed "unedited" video and the time/date stamp didn't change between the two.

I personally don't think this was a "good shoot"...I think it was a trigger happy LEO that set a chain of events into motion AFTER the crash.

#30 ·
Hes got his hands up until he starts taking rounds, first struck his lower left side, his hand reactively goes there then back to upraised palms open, staggers from another round or two then is shot in the back.
Arms out streatched palms open until he was shot just as the witness said.
And they did shoot the crap out of that van along with flash bangs.

#73 ·
You can't possibly know that he's taking hits. He clearly grabs at the hem of his jacket with his left hand and moves his right hand into or towards his jacket, anyone that's ever worn a shoulder holster for any length of time, are familiar with the movements he makes.
OD if you can blow it up or go see the enhanced version of the shooting hes taking hits from the officer coming out of the trees behind him before he lowers his arms.
Ive worn many a shoulder holster in my day.
And the movements he makes could be seen that way. But hes already been hit by the officer to his rear who is advancing and shooting.
I don think the officer in front of him ever fired.

#31 ·
It looks like he's doing the exact same stuff that causes people to get shot in inner cities that a lot of folks on here justify in favor of the police..... Exiting the vehicle, moving quickly, hands going where they shouldn't, all while the police are on the highest level of alert. I would love to hear the audio. To me it appears the only shot came from the officer who appeared from the woods, maybe I'm missing something. My bigger beef with the video is the appearance that they were shooting the truck towards the end. Not sure what was going on there.....

PS, that agent/officer that was standing in the snow must be seriously thanking God that it was that deep and stopped the truck that fast. He was a dead man any other way.

#32 ·
Sorry guys..if this was a black dude in Baltimore or Chicago with tats and pants halfway down your narratives would be different. You would be siding with the LEO's saying that anything can happen in a split second and of course "play stupid games win stupid prizes". I would like to see more information but some of you are only seeing what you want to see as well.

#45 ·
Not necessarily. I'm on the fence. Without more footage like dashcam or something it's hard to say. At first glance the video provided appears to show the LEO may not have had a choice, but to shoot at that point, but again, long distance, no audio, etc... hard to tell. Can't quite tell if he reached first and then got shot and hands went back up, or if he was shot first, reached for where he got shot and bback to hands up/out...

#34 ·
Did anyone bother to note the bullet holes in the wind shield.
And no if it was a BLM member who i have no respect for shot multipe times on video with their arms up, id not call that a good shooting either.
They fired on the man for no reason. He was out arms up as plain as day until hes shot.

#36 ·
Fleeing felon, fled a traffic stop, attempted to ram a roadblock, no surprise someone put a load of buckshot into the windshield. He looked to me to be attempting to draw from his shoulder holster. Having used one for years I can see that is what he was doing.

Whether it was a good shoot or a bad shoot is up to the grand jury.

#35 ·
The guy gets out of the vehicle, initially with his hands raised. He then decides to go for his gun. (Not an unusual change in attitude.) Even then, he's not shot at first, but when he does it again then he's shot. It was reported that a 9mm was found in the location where he was reaching. If I'm executing a felony stop where I know the person has said they won't be taken alive, I would react in exactly the same way as the officers in this instance. In fact, there was significant restraint in allowing him to move his hand out of his coat the first time without a shot being fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.