Defensive Carry banner

Mom's Trooper Encounter

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Sig35seven 
#1 ·
So, like pretty much everybody else in the family, my mom has a lead foot and always has. Well we were on the phone earlier for a long time and she related the story to me of her being pulled over by a state trooper yesterday. Yeah, it's not a first hand account but a good outcome nonetheless.

I'll relay it as told to me, in her words;

{ "So i was driving home, after a stop at the grocery store to get the stuff for your step dad's birthday party and I was just driving, not really paying attention and next thing I know I see blue lights! Oh...my...God... IT WAS A TROOPER! Turns out he caught me doing almost 80 in a 55. He was really nice!

I was trying to find my license and stuff in my purse as he was walking to my car and he asked me to put my hands on the steering wheel (to which I said duh mom! Should've knowed better!) Then after the usual license, insurance stuff he asked me if I had any weapons in the car and I said uh...well... I might. I don't remember if it's in this car or if I left it in the house after I cleaned it the last time. It's probably in here but I can't say for sure yes or no, definitively. (I've preached and preached at her about this casual carrying attitude for forever now! Apparently to no avail)

*After he looked at her a few seconds*

He goes "well ma'am you need to know where it is. You need to carry it on your person at all times. As a proponent of the 2nd Amendment I encourage you and every other upstanding citizen to stay armed and be ready for anything. I'll go run your license and I'll be back. And if I ever see you again I hope you'll have your gun on your person and be able to defend yourself if you had to." He was really cool!

He came back to the car with the ticket and told me to go to driving school and it'd be like it never happened. Said it wouldn't go on my driving record. He was as nice as he could be! And he said he's all about people carrying and being able to protect themselves. I mean yeah he wrote me a ticket but he was so nice and he told me how to do it so the ticket don't go against me. I wish more cops were like that guy!" }

So this weekend I will be having a set down with mom and telling her again for the nth time to keep her dang gun on her and none of this maybe it's here or there crap! I'm glad she had a good encounter with the trooper and he didn't go all nuts on her over her not knowing if her gun was in her car or not. And I'm glad he got on her about keeping her gun on her, because he's right. I told her it's awful funny there's strangers griping at her saying the same things I've been telling her for years. I chalk this up to a good LEO encounter :danceban:

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow Coty your mom leads a CHARMED LIFE.

Reactions: Coty
#4 ·
Tell your Mom if she doesn't start carrying like she is supposed to you are going to give her name and address to every one on DC and they will all write long scathing letters lecturing her on proper carry! :smile:

Even with a ticket it looks like she had a pretty decent encounter with LEO.

#6 ·
He goes "well ma'am you need to know where it is. You need to carry it on your person at all times. As a proponent of the 2nd Amendment I encourage you and every other upstanding citizen to stay armed and be ready for anything. I'll go run your license and I'll be back. And if I ever see you again I hope you'll have your gun on your person and be able to defend yourself if you had to." He was really cool!
Sounds like Barney Fife's older brother:wink: Glad it went Ok for your mom.:smile:

#9 ·
Maybe a wake up call? Slow down and know where your piece is. .. better yet carry the same one, not leave one in each vehicle then hope you remember how each feels so when the time comes (God forbid) it has to be used, there is a sense of knowing you know that gun!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

#11 ·
OP, I think you really need to have stern talk with her. She may not be able to find it. But chances are someone will. It could lead to a very dangerous situation, depending on who the finder is. If there are young children that might find it, this could be a real teaching point for her.

Reactions: 325rto and Whome65
#12 ·
Dang I thought I was bad a 70 in a 55 . I had my pistol on hip. Got a $25 no seat belt ticket . I hate seat belts Its my choice to or not wear. Yes I been in a accident head on no belt . car total loss Airbag worked like was suppose to. 1 seat belt ticket In all the years since law was forced down out throats in Ky.

#13 ·
See, Most all LEOs are good, honest men and women just trying to make a living and do a tough job.

Next time tell her to try this, when the officer comes to the window, say "gee officer, I am so sorry you had to pull me over just to give me a warning"...........sometimes funny works (says the man with 2 speeding tickets in the last 3 years.......)

#15 ·
THE most irresponsible thing your mother has done in this story is speeding excessively. This is a wreckless endangerment to other drivers and their families. First and foremost you should sit her down and talk about that. The gun is a secondary concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.