Defensive Carry banner

Charges filed in accidental shooting at gun show

974 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  drift 
#1 ·
This is why I no longer attend gun shows...

GARDEN CITY -- A man who injured two people when he accidentally discharged a rifle while setting up for a gun show has been charged with a misdemeanor.

The charge - injuring another through careless handling and discharge of firearms - was filed against 74-year-old Robert C. Turner of Washington on Wednesday.

Turner was working as a gun show vendor at Expo Idaho when the shooting happened the morning of Oct. 31. According to the Ada County Sheriff's Office, Turner told deputies he was attaching a zip tie to the trigger assembly of a bolt-action rifle when the gun went off.

The bullet hit a 51-year-old man and a 64-year-old man in the leg. The 64-year-old went to the hospital, but was not seriously injured, the sheriff's office said.

Man charged in accidental shooting at gun show | KTVB.COM

#2 ·
Start charging people for these so called accidental discharges. May be dealers and visitors will make sure weapons are empty. Or kept in the holster or pockets . Discharges at a gunshow should have a price to pay criminal and civil if person is injured . No reason for it. other than careless .

#6 ·
I'm glad you mentioned this point, every ticket buyer is inspected, all weapons are made inoperable with an electrical tie.
But the people who rent the tables are allowed to wear a loaded gun on thier belts!
This has been the cause of at least one of these shootings, the dealer was putting his guns away, preparing to leave the show early, he took his carry gun out of his holster so he could bend over under the table, he placed the pistol on the table.
Someone walked up grabbed it thinking it was for sale, pulled the trigger and....BANG! Into the wall.
I was at the other side of the expo center that day with my grandson, I grabbed him and we were both on the floor.
Never returned!
Absolutely inexcusable!

#7 ·
The accidental shooting came just two years after two people were hurt when a gun discharged at a 2013 gun show at Expo Idaho. One man injured in the 2013 shooting lost his vision in one eye.
The promoters need to do a serious revue of handling and safety procedures, guns do not just “go off”.

#12 ·
I was at one show at closing time. Guy with a booth full of milsurps was just tossing them onto a cart. Like, from five or six feet away. This was the same guy who wouldn't let anyone inspect one of those rifles because they were too precious to be touched.

A lot of those beat-up pieces of junk were probably arsenal-new before they went on the gun show circuit...

#10 ·
Absolutely, keep the incentives where they should be: on miscreants, on the reckless, on the negligent.

Fail to ensure your dangerous tools are rendered safe, and fail to handle them safely? You get held accountable. As it should be.

#15 ·
Sad.

Warning! Doomsday Theory about to Commence: And as the insurance rates go up and up due to these kind of things, the higher the costs will be for the vendors, leading to less and less participants and ultimately to the gun show becoming a thing of the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.