Defensive Carry banner

The Navy is receiving "Metal Storm"

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Stumpkiller 
#1 ·
#2 ·
They were looking at something like this 20 years ago and determined that it wasn't very practical. I can think of ways the money could be better spent.

Reactions: NONAME762
#21 ·
You're gonna have to buy a bigger property to house this critter. Then how ya gonna store the ammo. It don't zactly sound like it's truck mounted.

#4 ·
I was thinking they could use it as a phalanx system used in point defense.

#9 ·
I don't know how viable this particular system is, but the idea of a "wall of metal" has applications. Missile defense is one. As missiles and drones get smaller, more stealthy and able to fly closer to the ground/sea, radar guided missile defense systems are not always the most effective answer. Also, this could be an area denial weapon. Think of a Claymore on steroids. It's basically the same idea as a shotgun, taken to it's furthest limits. All weapons systems have their downsides. Missiles are always expensive, take training to use and have a lot that can go wrong with them. Bombs blow stuff up, but it takes timing and accuracy to makes sure they blow up the right things and only the right things. This might have its place. It remains to be seen.

#17 ·
Actually the idea of a barrel with superposed loads could make for an excellent concealed carry weapon. I have no idea if their particular ignition system could be adapted to a personal weapon, but I like the idea of a short pipe with a grip attached, holding multiple rounds of ammo. It could eliminate the bulky mechanisms necessary for revolvers and autos.

Reactions: CanuckQue
#15 ·
Prototype system? What the? After nearly 20 years of trying to make a commercially viable system, Metal Storm closed its doors...back in 2012.
Nocookies | The Australian
Weapons developer Metal Storm placed in voluntary administration

This article explains why the US military did NOT adopt the system.
Metal Storm ? a Deadly Weapon System

I can't find any credible sources that indicate the US Navy has decided to adopt Metal Storm from Metal Storm or the company that purchased the intellectual rights to the designs in 2015.

#23 ·
Boy Howdy I like the cut of that guns jib! Maybe 20 years ago there was this Old West show. Seems like they were Pony Express riders. One of them carried IIRC a 7 barreled shotgun. He had blond hair.

I wouldn't wanna fire all 9 at once. Maybe those Aguila short rounds.

#20 ·
Real Clear Defense says they've delivered the system. I'm not saying you can take that to the bank, but that's what the article claims.

I would add that the Phalanx CIWS has an external drum that must be manually reloaded (unlike the French "Goal Keeper"), and having that many rounds without reloading is also quite a design advantage if they're accurate, and you only need to fire a few hundred at a time.

#26 ·
#27 ·
It holds 180 rounds. So the sustained rate if fire may only be 180 rounds per minute if it takes a minute to replace the racks. Or 90 rpm if it takes two, etc.

Astonishing volley, but lets see how long it takes to deliver a million rounds.

I would bet it's an anti-missile platform to knock out incoming threats for ship mounting.

Reactions: CanuckQue
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.