Defensive Carry banner

Article on a police shooting

670 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks. That was an interesting analysis.

Female police officers are more likely than male police officer to shoot suspects. This pretty well sums up the reasons.

Many times a female can talk a suspect into surrendering easier than a male, but if the suspect is determined to fight the female has fewer options if she is afraid or incapable of using hand to hand.

I had to pull a gun on a guy many years ago. It was a domestic dispute in the apartment above me that spilled out into the parking lot. The estranged husband was attempting to force the ex wife into a car and her mother was trying to pull her away from him. I pulled my pistol and ordered him to freeze, thinking he would obey the command and the fight would be over. Instead of that he just started shooting in my general direction. Apparently he hadn't watched the same TV shows that I had and didn't understand that he was supposed to drop his pistol and surrender. It was dark, there were apartments all around us, and the two women were too close to the guy for me to even consider shooting.

I ended up pulling my truck around and blocking him in. The police showed up and they had a foot chase, during which he ditched his weapon.

Reactions: oneshot
#3 ·
A great example of the perfect person to become a respected instructor....:rolleyes:

#4 ·
dang Bob, that *IS* scary - I just imagined an entire scenario where I am already freaked out after having shot someone, but at least I've had the crap kicked out of me so many times in good training scenarios I know how to stay at least somewhat rational during high stress events. .....having a completely irrational police officer waving a gun around issuing garbled and non-sensical commands???? holy cow...... talks about pins and needles....

Reactions: Bad Bob
#5 ·
heh, I've long been fascinated with the idea of "ChessBoxing" - could there be a better way to re-inforce how to pull back from the adrenaline and rush of a fight? to go from completely competitive combat to complete mental engagement- and back. to be contemplating where to move your Rook while getting punched in the face? ?? that's how you develop "Branching" right there.... *(good term I hadn't heard, but fully understand)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

#6 ·

it's not a great display of boxing. and I assume probably not the best of Chess either, but if you fast forward to about 7:00 you can see how tired these guys are going into the chess section again, and (from experience) I can imagine the incredible mental hurdle to re-focus on something like Chess when you're that beat up and physically exhausted.

#7 ·
Wrong person for the job.

I've seen well trained men, panic when a situation occurs (Leo's). So, I do think it's more the make-up of the person, and who can think and act under pressure without those issues. And, a lot of women don't have that "fighting" and "I can handle this" mentality they need in those situations. The confidence isn't there either.

I would have agreed with the prosecutor in this situation, however ..... she should have never been put in that job if she was incapable of handling it, and weeding them out is important.

#8 ·
OK Commenting as someone who's been in this same situation. She screwed up. Bad. The officer shot and killed someone who was unarmed and already incapacitated. Thats not what the police do. if she got away with it or not...isnt the point. The point is that a citizen is unjustifiably dead by her hand. The police need the trust and respect of the people they serve in order to properly do their job. Just my opinion but this is more becoming the norm. When people begin to fear the police we get a recipe for further disaster.

Being a policeman or woman is not for everyone. What were seeing is the result of the lowering of general standards, and one size fits all training as handed down from lawyers. And the misuse of the police as revenue agents and political bullies.

This officer was ill prepared for her job.... and she failed miserably. Because the victim was white, and the officer was white there will be no hue and cry for justice. While thats a minor tragedy, this man deserved better.

#9 ·
That topic was already on the minds of police management and trainers back in the early 90's. That's when I recall as a Sgt hearing it discussed as a serious matter confronting LE agencies mostly regarding female applicants. Unfortunately the Affirmative Action forces from Wash D.C. on down to mayor levels were shoving this down our throats. The federal court judges had a heavy hand in supporting this movement too. `

The silver lining (if you look at it that way) for us was the Training Div was totally overhauled and revamped to compensate for GenX and beyond types, including weaker females. There was more emphasis on mentoring after the FTO phase, realistic training of all kinds. Was a wide front effort to bolster the skills not just physical but jack up the skill level.

But many LE agencies are very small and just don't have that capability but still have to work under Affirmative Action/courts scrutiny. We had some female officers but they were tough cookies...farm girls actually...and you knew you could depend on them. But closer to year 2000 and beyond we started seeing more and more bubble heads. The "I wanna be a police officer" type (clueless, no life experience) which I'm sure we can all relate to.

Not sure what else to say except "WE TOLD YOU SO" but nobody wants the cops experienced thoughts. If it were up to us this would not have happened. I know people in the military are suffering under similar burdens.

We're dealing with more criminals who are more willing to use a higher level of violence and at the same time the LE forces have been watered down. What could go wrong?

#10 ·
Remaining calm, identifying the signs of panic, and then resisting them with simple techniques can be taught and learned till it becomes habit. Of everything that comes from our elite warrior communities this is by far, IMO, the most applicable, transferable, and valuable skill set for civilian CCW; far more than all the tactical stuff. Every police officer should receive it just like weapons quals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.