Defensive Carry banner

Officer involved shooting. Driver dead.

1K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  oneshot 
#1 ·
#3 ·
There better be a lot more to this story. The officer killed the driver because the officer wanted to arrest a passenger for public intoxication.

Normally I side with the Law - but this is a bit over the top.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Based on the available facts, I doubt the officer was following department guidelines. If they already had the vehicle information, they could have just dispatched the police to the driver's home and arrested him when he got there.

Seems like bad judgment all the way around.

#7 ·
As a graduate of a thoroughly mediocre journalism school, sometimes I wonder about these articles. If "The shooting involving Joshua Grubb...," why do I have to read two more paragraphs to discover that Grubb is the one who was shot, as opposed to the one doing the shooting? When you could have simply written "the shooting of Joshua Grubb"?

Good grief. Things like this are why I just roll my eyes and wait for at least the fifth revision of a story before bothering to have an opinion.

#11 ·
That's one of my pet peeves, too. It seems like journalists withhold facts just to get you to read the whole thing. The old method of journalism required them to put the "who, what, where, when and why" in the lead paragraph and then give the elaboration afterwards. They actually had an editor and fact checkers back then, too.

#8 ·
Grubb was driving off, kidnapping the cop. Evading arrest. Fleeing the scene.

#9 ·
I doubt it could be a kidnapping as the cop boarded the vehicle of his own volition and without (I feel safe in assuming) the consent of the driver.
(I can't imagine why the officer thought it a good idea to jump into the truck bed.)

Evading arrest would work.

We definitely need more info!

Reactions: ccw9mm
#23 ·
Actually, in most, maybe all, jurisdictions, constraining one's freedom to leave is not only kidnapping, it's also the civil tort of false imprisonment. IMO, taking off with the cop would suffice. In some ways it's analogous to withdrawal of consent in a rape case. In each case, the act began as voluntary and became involuntary...

#10 ·
The cop threw himself into the vehicle. Since when is leaving the scene of a public intoxication event punishable by death. I think the police officer jeopardized himself recklessly and over reacted to the initial over-reaction. Seems he was WAY out of control..

But this is one the Grand Jury will have to decide with all the evidence. We have none and some initial hearsay.

#12 ·
More facts, for sure!

As a graduate of a thoroughly mediocre journalism school, sometimes I wonder about these articles. If "The shooting involving Joshua Grubb...," why do I have to read two more paragraphs to discover that Grubb is the one who was shot, as opposed to the one doing the shooting? When you could have simply written "the shooting of Joshua Grubb"?

Good grief. Things like this are why I just roll my eyes and wait for at least the fifth revision of a story before bothering to have an opinion.
Sounds to me as if you went to a very good school of Journalism.

That's one of my pet peeves, too. It seems like journalists withhold facts just to get you to read the whole thing. The old method of journalism required them to put the "who, what, where, when and why" in the lead paragraph and then give the elaboration afterwards. They actually had an editor and fact checkers back then, too.
It's the ole Face Book trick to get you to click on the link and keep reading. I'm surprised the headline didn't read: "You won't believe who was shot trying to evade police"!

#16 ·
Now I will admit in public . In70's I jumped in back of a pick up . I had stopped possible DUI as I got near. he slowly started to pull away .Then faster. I have no idea why even today. I dove over into bed . It was a Datsun truck. I didn't shoot the guy for goodness sakes . I just got to feet and came down on roof with a double fist. Roof buckled and he stopped . Partner caught up in our car.. Doubt went 1/4 mile . Found guilty on DUI . He then tried to sue me for damage to his truck.

#18 ·
It's Loudon county. Pretty much sums it up to us locals. The derp is strong over there. I drive through the place going and coming from work and hate even driving through.

Reactions: oneshot
#20 ·
We don't mention derp around here unless they're from an unfortunate family or from Chicago.

My Boss didn't even know that derp was a usable word at an institution of higher learning. Boy is she lost. :blink:

Reactions: Rhinoman
#24 ·
^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^

Officer will be exonerated. City will be sued by grieving(snif, snif) family members and all will be fine.

Probably not the best the officer could have done. was most likely thinking that a highspeed car chase would end with a bloody scene with innocents maimed/killed.

Driver of the pickup(the deceased) was more of an idiot that the officer- I side with the law on this one. When a driver of a vehicle pulled over flees, for something that he isn't even allegedly guilty of, it must cause the officer to question what else they are hiding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.