Not cool, Target

This is a discussion on Not cool, Target within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two Marines say Target store booted them for recruiting By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot April 7, 2007 | Last updated 10:00 PM Apr. 6 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not cool, Target

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar

Not cool, Target

Two Marines say Target store booted them for recruiting

By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
    April 7, 2007 | Last updated 10:00 PM Apr. 6

CHESAPEAKE - Two Marines in their dress uniforms - the ones with white hats, khaki shirts and blue trousers with red stripe - say they were accused of recruiting at a Target department store here and told to leave...

Here's the link

2. Remove Ads

"Target supports many charitable causes, including veterans' organizations," according to a statement. "For years we have donated funds and volunteer hours to local and national veteran and military organizations around the country."
    Money doesn't easily wipe spittle off of shoes, nor smirks off of faces. If true, kudos to the SEAL for calling a spade a spade, and for showing the unjustifiability of the position and claim.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That ASSistant manager needs a bit of re-education. That was definitely an incredibly stupid way to handle the situation. An smart way to handle it would have been to approach with a smile and ask the two Marines if they were trying to recruit one of his employees while the employee should be working. Then he could have thanked them for their service and walked away. What is up with some people? Seems rather unlikely that recruiters would show up in a place of business trolling for recruits anyway.

I don't believe there's any general anti-military bias on the part of the Target organization. They certainly seem supportive in San Antonio and I've seen lots of military, in uniform, shopping there. I think this is a case of one bad apple.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    I think the manager jumped to conclusions and made assumptions about the Marines intentions because of the class of uniform they were wearing. (the correct one for being out in public) I think it was probably blown out of porportion, and it sounds like the retired Navy guy didnt help out at all.
    I have been in similiar situations myself, only I was really there to help recruit. I understand why the managment would not want this going on in their store and on their dime.

If I were the manager, I most likely would have taken the Marines over to the snack bar and got them some nachos and a coke and talked it over, ending things on a positive.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the ass t mgr or shift supervisor needed a power trip...and was too worried about perception than finding out what was going on.

The manager's statements in the paper are plain stupid. Just admit his underling screwed up...say sorry...and all will be well. Otherwise, just another idiot with a target on him (pun intended)

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If my uniform still fit I'd put it on, go to Target and start talking to people just to see what happened.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I never shop there anyway. Not permitting the Salvation Army Bell Ringers was bad enough, but worse yet they don't sell guns or ammo and their fishing stuff is pathetic.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I hope this is an isolated incident. I think that Target is still owned by the Dayton Family. Mark Dayton is the spineless Senator that was just replaced by another 2nd ammendment hater Amy Klobachar. These libs really don't like folks in the service of their country. I take every chance I get to thank all of those that served our country. I think it's time for me to buy some gift certificates and head to the recruiting office near me and hand them out. That will effectively offset this wrong real or percieved.
    Semper Paratus

VIP Member
    What I would like for someone to do is to reconcile the following sections of the story.

Manager Brian Sherman, who was not in the Chesapeake South store Monday when the alleged incident happened, denied Friday that the Marines were ordered out. But he said he was told they were talking to employees.

"They were not asked to leave, in fact they walked around the store and continued to shop," Sherman said.
    And

Sherman declined to identify the assistant manager because he had not talked to him yet.
    The manager who was not there denies that the Marines were ordered out. States that they continued to walk around the store and shop. Then refuses to identify the assistant manager because he has not talked to him. He doesn't mind calling the Marines liars without talking to the assistant manager. But I guess that's easy to do. Whatever they say is obviously a lie because they wear the uniform of our country. I personally think this is worse than the original incident.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

crazy.... im not a big target fan, anyway.

That seems like a big line of bullcrap. (Aplogies, I missed that part of no swearing in the rules.)

Freaking chill out, they just want to shop. Well, I am never going in a target again, no one messes with my Beloved Corps!
    Springfield 1903A4
    Ruger 10/22
    AR-15

Wasn't it Target that refused to hold jobs for their employees that reported for active duty in the war(s)?

Either way, I don't shop there for the Salvation Army issue.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    What I would like for someone to do is to reconcile the following sections of the story.

And

The manager who was not there denies that the Marines were ordered out. States that they continued to walk around the store and shop. Then refuses to identify the assistant manager because he has not talked to him. He doesn't mind calling the Marines liars without talking to the assistant manager. But I guess that's easy to do. Whatever they say is obviously a lie because they wear the uniform of our country. I personally think this is worse than the original incident.

Good point...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just some FYI, since I don't think it could apply to Target - their stores being private property:

18 U.S.C. Sec. 244: Discrimination against person wearing uniform of armed forces

Whoever, being a proprietor, manager, or employee of a theater or other public place of entertainment or amusement in the District of Columbia, or in any Territory, or Possession of the United States, causes any person wearing the uniform of any of the armed forces of the United States to be discriminated against because of that uniform, shall be fined under this title.

It is strange that the word "state" is not in the law - is it ok to discriminate against service members when on state land?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    It is strange that the word "state" is not in the law - is it ok to discriminate against service members when on state land?
    It has something to do with a war fought in the late 1800's, state's rights and some other details.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links