When can honorably discharged veterans wear their military uniform.

This is a discussion on When can honorably discharged veterans wear their military uniform. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just in case separated veterans want to attend a fellow service member/veteran's funneral - I think it would be a nice thing to do (sometimes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When can honorably discharged veterans wear their military uniform.

Post When can honorably discharged veterans wear their military uniform.

Just in case separated veterans want to attend a fellow service member/veteran's funneral - I think it would be a nice thing to do (sometimes theres only 2 uniformed personnel during the funnerals of veterans who don't die on active duty: the one who hands the US flag to the surviving member of the family and the one who hits play on the Taps recording).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 U.S.C. Sec. 772: When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized.

(e) A person not on active duty who served honorably in time of war in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the title, and, when authorized by regulations prescribed by the President, wear the uniform, of the highest grade held by him during that war.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10554 of Aug. 18, 1954 : Delegating the authority of the President to prescribe regulations authorizing occasions upon which the uniform may be worn by persons who have served honorably in the Armed Forces in time of war.

Source: The provisions of Executive Order 10554 of Aug. 18, 1954, appear at 19 FR 5295, 3 CFR, 1954-1958 Comp., p. 202, unless otherwise noted.

By virtue of the authority vested in me by section 301 of title 3 of the United States Code, and as President of the United States, it is ordered as follows:

The authority vested in the President (1) by section 125 of the act of June 3, 1916, 39 Stat. 216, as amended by the first section of the act of July 6, 1953, 67 Stat. 140, and (2) by section 2 of the act of June 21, 1930, 46 Stat. 793, as amended by section 2 of said act of July 6, 1953, to prescribe regulations authorizing occasions upon which the uniform may be worn by persons who have served honorably in the armed forces of the United States in time of war is hereby delegated to the Secretary of Defense so far as it pertains to the uniforms of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps, and to the Secretary of the Treasury so far as it pertains to the uniform of the Coast Guard.

BY DIR:

DOD Directive 1334.1 from Oct 26, 2005

SUBJECT : Wearing of the Uniform

3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Instruction or under the terms of Section 772 of title 10, United States Code (reference (d)), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only on the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.

3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited.

3.3. Medal of Honor holders may wear the uniform at their pleasure except under the circumstances set forth in paragraph 3.1., above.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Man, oh, man, but who here among us still FITS in his freakin' uniform?

It's been 20 years and more pounds.

But, seriously, it's a nice thing to do.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Along the same line. The Secretaries of all the services recently authorized the hand salute, rather than the hand over your heart, at occasions where a salute is normally rendered. This was done to make veterans more distinct from non vets. I have done this at a military vet's funeral.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

im not nearly as sexy in my dungarees as i usedta be....

and the 13 buttons on my Marines Bib would REALLY be pushing it!

but its a fine thing to do, if you can manage it!

Senior Moderator
    PLEASE!!! If you can't fit in your uniform, don't try it!

I was at a memorial service where a retired admiral was asked to speak. He wore his dress whites but was buldging out of them and didn't wear any undershirt under his blouse.

For the entire two hours of his speech I didn't hear a word because I was too distracted by his gaping blouse nicely framing his hairy bellybutton!!

It didn't ruin the day, but boy was it distracting.

What have you got against belly buttons? I guess some people don't realize that when they grow older they tend to grow outward.

I haven't been able to fit my cracker jacks in 12 years. Seems like as soon as I got out I put on about ten right away. I was 165-175 when I was in, now I am, and have been for some time, between 215-225lbs.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    I haven't been able to fit my cracker jacks in 12 years. Seems like as soon as I got out I put on about ten right away. I was 165-175 when I was in, now I am, and have been for some time, between 215-225lbs.
    Same boat I'm in!
    A few years ago someone dared me to try to get my crackerjacks on (there was alcohol involved) I managed to get them on but it took two or three people to get 'em back off of me!
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

M2
    I know in the USAF you have to still be within regs to wear the uniform if you are retired (e.g. my hair, mustache and beard won't cut it!). I believe the other services are the same. So don't go putting your hair in a ponytail and run around in your Class A's with a goatee!

Cheers! M2

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Heck I CAN still fit into my uniforms....but I only retired in 2004. As far as the hand salute I'm glad to find out its now legal for me to do, as I did it anyways.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I got issued back all the weight I lost when I got out

In fact, I just took a lot of old uniforms down to Khaki Jacks in Plano, Tx. and sold them. They've been taking up space for 6 years now. The dress uniform is going down tomorrow. I should be getting enough $$ for a new carry piece when it's all said and done. MAybe an M&P?? Yes, lots of gear too.......lotta three color DCU's which, apparently, are in high demand. I always thought they looked kinda pink

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Man, oh, man, but who here among us still FITS in his freakin' uniform?

It's been 20 years and more pounds.

But, seriously, it's a nice thing to do.
    Actually, I do. In fact, my uniform that I wore when I was honorably discharged is too big for me now. I weighed 200 pounds when I seperated from active duty and now weigh 158 pounds.

I still have some of the uniforms that I was issued in Boot Camo and, dare I say it....they fit me now very well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The government must be buying inferior goatskin leather for their leather flight jackets. Mine shrunk a lot since I retired in 1975.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I found out a few months back that I can still fit in my cracker jacks. The big problem is that I can't tie a decent knot in the kerchief.

I would also need some new "Dixie Cups." The old ones have yellowed quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Along the same line. The Secretaries of all the services recently authorized the hand salute, rather than the hand over your heart, at occasions where a salute is normally rendered. This was done to make veterans more distinct from non vets. I have done this at a military vet's funeral.
    Really, I hadn't heard about that. That's actually kind of cool.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links