TWO NY Cops dead

This is a discussion on TWO NY Cops dead within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Blackeagle The article doesn't say that the shot penetrated Gombosi's vest, it just says that he was injured. I think the most ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TWO NY Cops dead

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The article doesn't say that the shot penetrated Gombosi's vest, it just says that he was injured. I think the most likely interpretation is that the vest stopped the bullet, but that the officer suffered some blunt force trauma from the impact (a common occurrence with soft body armor).
    Aha, good point, I hadn't noticed that. Don't know why I assumed the bullet penetrated.

I'm still wondering how in the world he managed to put two troopers out of commission.

2. Remove Ads

I just re-visited the original Foxnews link. Looks like the first trooper's vest stopped the handgun round. The other two troopers were killed when searching the farm. One was headshot, the other took a round in the leg. Probably ambushed going around a corner or something.

The upside to this is the punk is currently burnt little cinders - house burned down. Bummer about the nice farmhouse.

Grandma doesn't sound too sad:

"I don't think there's anyway for this to turn out good now. Not after shooting a trooper. His goose is cooked," said Ruth Trim, the suspect's grandmother, in a telephone interview from her home in northern New York.
    I'm actually glad to hear that. I get sick of news stories of incidents like this where all the relatives are blaming police and saying 'no way our little Johnny would have done this, bla bla bla'.

VIP Member
    I hope they end like the cop killer in Lakeland FLA.

LAKELAND, Fla. Sunday, October 01, 2006 Officers fired 110 rounds of ammunition at the man suspected of killing a sheriff's deputy, killing the suspect, according to an autopsy released by the sheriff's office.

Angilo Freeland who was suspected of fatally shooting the deputy after being pulled over for speeding Thursday was hit 68 times by the SWAT team members' shots, the examination released Saturday showed.

He also was suspected of wounding a deputy and killing a police dog.

Freeland's death ended a nearly 24-hour manhunt that forced schools to lock down and families to stay indoors as about 500 officers scoured the woods.................................Ten SWAT officers surrounded Freeland on Friday as he hid beneath brush and a fallen tree in a rural area. Authorities say he raised the gun belonging to the deputy he had killed, prompting nine officers to fire.

"I suspect the only reason 110 rounds was all that was fired was that's all the ammunition they had," Judd said. "We were not going to take any chance of him shooting back."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I love the irony in grandmas statement... I say his goose got a little more than cooked.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The skell shot a Trooper yesterday, hitting him in the vest and the trooper was not seriously wounded. A manhunt was initiated and two additional troopers were shot, one with fatal head wound. The other is expected to recover. The skell died in surrounded in farmhouse that caught fire. Not sure how the fire started or what skell's cause of death was. I'm glad the skell died before costing any more lives, and saving the taxpayers his trial and incarceration costs. RIP Trooper, and speedy recovery to the other two Troopers.

Looks like David Brinkerhoff, one of the troopers who was killed, was hit by friendly fire. Although the suspect shot him in the chest with a handgun, Brinkerhoff's vest stopped it. He was killed when he caught a .223 round in the back of the head.

It was actually 3 New York State Troopers that were shot.The first Trooper was shot doing a routine traffic stop,Luckily he was wearing a vest and the vest took the bullet,and he continued on with the man hunt.The next day(Tuesday) Officers from multiple depts were searching for the suspect,when 2 other Troopers were shot,I beleive both were flown to Albany Medical Center were it was later learned that one Trooper had died.I had heard the Trooper that died was shot in the head,not sure about that fact as I was not there.The Trooper who died was 29 years old,married and the father of 1 I beleive a 7 month old baby.I have also been told(not sure about how true it is)that the two Troopers that were shot on tuesday were shot by friendly fire.My heart felt simpathy goes out to the family of the fallen Trooper.The gunman entered a house in Margertville and was hold up.Later Officers shot tear gas canisters into th house.A short while later the house caught fire and was destroyed.The gun man was found in the burnt out house,in a hallway with a rifle in his lap.

Both troopers were shot by their buddies. Who the he!! was in charge of this mess.

Was the burnt body found in the remains of the house guilty of an earlier shooting? We probably will never know - all the evidence is now ashes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    Man, this is awful. I absolutely detest stories about police officers being shot.
    More than just, say, ordinary people?

What can punch through body armor but might not kill you? I'm thinking this guy either has teflon bullets, or maybe an AR. Could also have a big caliber handgun, like .44 Mag, but I think most standard police armor will stop even a .44. Could be wrong on that.
    Somebody needs to read up on the "teflon bullet" myth.

And is there such a thing as "standard body armor"? I'm not an expert, myself, but I know that there are level I, II, III, etc. and each is supposed to stop increasingly powerful rounds. Hard to say what "standard" would be good for. But I am pretty sure I've read that "III" is the least you would expect to be able to stop a 44mag.

But really, the "teflon bullet" thing is about as legitimate as the "cop-killer" bullet myth. Look it up. It's worth educating yourself about.

VIP Member
    The Return of a Legislative Legend Dave Kopel on the myth of Cop Killer Bullets
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Actually, the .44 is one of the easiest rounds to stop if you under stand how the vest works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Prayers to the families.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links