170 shots, 9 minutes & 3 chained doors.....

This is a discussion on 170 shots, 9 minutes & 3 chained doors..... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to FoxNews, Va. Tech's killer fired 170 rounds in 9 minutes after chaining three entrance doors. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268420,00.html The massacre inside a chained-shut Norris Hall ...

Thread: 170 shots, 9 minutes & 3 chained doors.....

VIP Member

According to FoxNews, Va. Tech's killer fired 170 rounds in 9 minutes after chaining three entrance doors.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268420,00.html

The massacre inside a chained-shut Norris Hall went on for nine minutes as Seung-Hui Cho fired off 170 rounds, killing 30 people before shooting himself in the head, police revealed Wednesday. But they said investigators still don't know why Cho launched the bloody attack on his fellow students at Virginia Tech........

....Cho chained shut three public entrances to Norris Hall and started his rampage there, he gunned down his first two victims in a dormitory across campus. In between, a package was mailed to NBC containing Cho's videotaped tirade and written manifesto about rich "brats" and their "hedonistic needs.".....

....n addition to the 170 rounds Cho fired inside Norris, investigators found unused ammunition in the building, though Flaherty was unsure how much was left.

Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said Cho had a class this semester in Norris Hall, although it was not scheduled to meet on April 16, the day of the rampage.

Flinchum also said no evidence has been found to link Cho to any bomb threats on campus.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

From the above article.

Flaherty, who is overseeing the investigative team looking at the shootings, said police have been unable to answer one of the case's most vexing questions: Why the spree began at the West Ambler Johnston dormitory, and why 18-year-old freshman Emily Hilscher was the first victim.
    One word. Diversion. To me, this is the most likely reason. Get all, or at least the majority, of the campus police on the other side of the campus so their response times are even greater.

VIP Member
    170 shots... 9 mag changes?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I still suspect it's too early to render any opinions here . Its early stage of a nightmare and lets stand by and see the actual investigative files .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    My guess is a lot more than NINE. Some of the mags were 10 rounders! (he bought at least two 10 rounders on Ebay)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Don't forget he had 2 guns. If he changed mags on both of them at the same time, you could say there were 9 "changes" (that each involved changing two magazines), and it would be possible to shoot 170rds using only 10rd. mags.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    My guess is a lot more than NINE. Some of the mags were 10 rounders! (he bought at least two 10 rounders on Ebay)
    He had a Glock 19 and a Walther P22, the mags he bought on eBay were for the Walther and are 10 rounds regardless of state restrictions. The Glock was likely full capacity.

I have yet to hear if the .22 was used at all, anybody know?

VIP Member
    I am wondering if the Glock mags were standard or drop free
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Apparently no one is really looking at the math- that's 5 shots/fatality. It had to be less, in actuality, given that several people survived. Handgun rounds are really pathetic fatality-inducers, unless you use a lot of them, or if the target is restrained.

These folks had been told that suicide was an acceptable response; they accepted it. It can't be made pretty or polite. It is sad and pathetic, and should make us madder than hell.

Well they did say most of the victims were shot multiple times. IIRC they said most were shot 2-3 times.

This says it all....

Helpless sheep cannot defend themselves against a madman.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Sponsored Links