Montana Teenager Shot By Police

This is a discussion on Montana Teenager Shot By Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a distressing situation all around, both for the teen's family and the officers involved. The moral is, if you're old enough to do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Teenager Shot By Police

1943 - 2009

This is a distressing situation all around, both for the teen's family and the officers involved.

The moral is, if you're old enough to do the crime, you're old enough to suffer the consequences.

Apr 26, 10:21 PM EDT

Report: Officers justified in fatal shooting near Fort Benton

HELENA, Mont. (AP) -- A Chouteau County sheriff's deputy and a Montana Highway Patrol officer were justified in fatally shooting a 13-year-old boy near Fort Benton, the administrator for the state Division of Criminal Investigation said.

"They did what they had to do based on their training and based on the situation they encountered," Mike Batista said.

Batista said the boy, Mark A. Keeley of Havre, fired a shotgun at the officers several times early Sunday.

Officials say Keeley was driving a car, believed to have been stolen in Havre, that matched the description of a reported gas drive-off in Chester, about 55 miles north of Fort Benton.

The boy would not pull over, and a Montana Highway Patrol trooper later stopped the car by placing "stop sticks" on the highway about five miles north of Fort Benton, Sheriff Vern Burdick said. He said the boy then fired a gun, striking the deputy's patrol car, and continued driving south on Montana 223.

Just north of Fort Benton the driver fired multiple rounds at the deputy and the trooper, who both returned fire, Burdick said. Keeley was in the front seat when he was shot, and was still alive when officers pulled him out.

The teen was flown to a hospital in Great Falls, where he was pronounced dead.

"(Keeley) had a second opportunity not to engage the officers and he continued to fire shots," Batista said. "Based on their experience, this was a deadly encounter and they had a right to respond accordingly."

The road was closed for most of the day Sunday while the shooting was investigated. Four state investigators cleared the scene Wednesday - the same day as Keeley's funeral.

The officers involved remain on paid administrative leave.

Batista said it could be two months before a coroner's inquest would be held.

Keeley's grandfather, also named Mark, said the family knows nothing more than what they've read in the news.

"All I can tell you is they're not really telling us anything," he said. "They keep telling us we'll learn everything in two months."

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Dead over a stollen car and some gas. Willing to kill a police officer over the same. How stupid can you get?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    fired a shotgun at the officers several times
    Sad to say - age does not come into this equation. The cops had little choice in such circumstances.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I thank God alot that my "child" decided to drop his gun before I was forced to shoot. I can't think of a harder thing for an officer to go through, except maybe a blue on blue. Those two are in my prayers, as are the family of the suspect.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Sad end.........

Today's youth just don't have the respect that we had at that age. Part is due to the decline of our culture.

Kid's this age are doing a lot of serious crimes 'cause we're juviniles & won't get prosecuted'. My mother worked at a middle school in a suburb of Richmond, Va. While there, they had a 13 year old who didn't like to ride the bus to school........his answer was to steal CARS & drive them to school!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A POS in training is dead...what's so sad...got to him before he became a pro Good job gentleman

This little 'thug wannabe' got exactly what he deserved. Where were his parents? The little $#!! should have been at home, not out stealing cars and shooting guns at police officers...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sucks that the responding LEOs were forced to engage the kid. I'm glad they are ok....physically at least.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    The officers involved seem to have little choice. The death of anyone is not good. This incident is unfortunate for all involved. Anyone who celebrates this boys death, I say to you "Grow Up !"
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

13 years old and already out stealing cars, gas, and shooting at police officers. It's too bad he decided to have himself killed, but society is much better off with him and his kind. The parents should be held responsible and liable for all the damages. They got what they deserved.

If true, if what has been reported represents the basic facts ...

Report of stolen gasoline; a simple traffic stop; occupants fire on officers multiple times; then, the officers use the degree of force necessary to terminate the threat to the officers and others. That's about how these things go. Short of the attacker laying down his arms and stopping his murderous attack, this is about the best outcome, all things considered. Could have been far worse.

Turns out the criminal is a bit under-aged. Any death is a concern. The death of a particularly young person is tragic, given the full life he could have led. He seemingly chose his path via the adult-grade decision to live a day of crime. That was justifiably met with an adult-grade response to his murderous attack. Thankfully to innocents, his attack was unsuccessful.

My condolences to his family, who must be wrestling with conflicting emotions right about now. I'm sure those within a 100mi radius will now sleep a bit better knowing this felon-in-training is no longer a threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Tragedy all around. And 13-years old. I'm thankful the officers weren't injured.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Dead over a stollen car and some gas. Willing to kill a police officer over the same. How stupid can you get?
    Old saying Young & Dumb!

When they shoot at the cops it's time to shoot back. This kid is as dangerous as an adult with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    When they shoot at the cops it's time to shoot back. This kid is as dangerous as an adult with a gun.
    Not anymore.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links